Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone happens to know how ZFS will behave in regards to prefetching if I set primarycache=metadata on a dataset? I guess I'll finally set my big file datasets like the movie ones to that. But it's always been nice of ZFS to prefetch data in big chunks.

--edit: There seems to be some kind of minor prefetching to be done. Playing a movie starts with 2MB of IO every 1 second or so to eventually space out to 6MB every 3-4 seconds. But nothing special beyond that.
--edit: Now 8MB every 5-6 seconds. Probably gonna go up some more. That's nice. Keeps disk IO down despite no data caching.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I know that feeling all to well :mood:

I assume it works like anything else, because of these OIDs:
pre:
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.prefetch_metadata_misses: 307871
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.prefetch_metadata_iohits: 383904
kstat.zfs.misc.arcstats.prefetch_metadata_hits: 8610473
Oh, I don't doubt that metadata will still be prefetched. I was more concerned about the data itself. I'd rather not have any kind of read amplification, because I have movies stored in a dataset with 1MB record size, while MPC-BE keeps reading in 256KB blocks and causing ZFS to dump the block out of memory as soon the 256KB request has been served. Or some poo poo like that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It'll work just fine in 30 years.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Containers on TrueNAS Scale are a pain in the butt. Sure, they work, but the management interface is very meh. If you’re used to something akin to Portainer, you’d be going like four steps backwards. For instance, you can’t check current resource usage of a running container vs (yet). Or inspect any other details.

I’m not sure what you can do in TrueCommand, it’s not free.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Someone on the TrueNAS forums made a script that sets up a Debian container in containerd on SCALE, in which you can then setup Docker, so you can use Portainer and poo poo again. So I switched back from Apps to Portainer in Cobia, and the baseline power consumption dropped by 2W. Over a year, that's 175kWh, which is like 60€ here where I live. gently caress you Kubernetes. --edit: gently caress me, I'm bad at math.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 13, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you guys buying Intel X710s or Mellanox something or is there a cheaper, cooler 10GbaseT NIC out there now?
If you go with faster Ethernet, go with Mellanox. I went from X520s to ConnectX3s and my iSCSI random IO throughput jumped to like twice of what it was before. A simple card swap. And said throughput was far removed from the 10GBit and 40GBit of the respective cards. So gently caress knows what's going on with Intel cards.

ConnectX3 cards are cheap as gently caress on Ebay, and Windows has an inbox driver that works fine and even does RDMA.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If the drive is actually air tight and Helium molecules diffuse out of it due to quantum tunneling or whatever bullshit, shouldn't it just drop the inside pressure and maintain the low drag environment?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Potential fix for the BRT issue? Reads like it.

https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/15571
https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/15566

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 25, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think there’s already a chart for this in TrueNAS’ own chart repo.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's sure some BRT related fixes going into OpenZFS right now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Put in a SSD for L2ARC and then set secondarycache to metadata on the root on the pool. Bam, el-cheapo version of metadata special vdev.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Re: L2ARC memory usage, it’s 70 bytes per ZFS block, not LBA. Given the disparity between a 512b LBA and 128KB default record size, that’s kinda important to mention.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's still a shitload of RAM being taken up by a FIFO cache, instead of being a MFU+MRU cache - and one that's much slower than main memory by a few orders of magnitude.
Highest usage I’ve seen is like 900MB of headers to keep 380GB of data warm*. That’s largely just dataset metadata and caching 16KB block sized ZVOLs. Seems like a good trade off. :shrug:

And I certainly notice the difference, since I’m running Steam games from the ZVOL. My L2ARC hit rates were far beyond 80%.

(That ratio should even improve, because I switched from 16KB volblocksize/NTFS clusters to 64KB to improve ZStd compression ratios.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

VostokProgram posted:

Speaking of ashift - what is a good value for an SSD?
ZFS currently automatically chooses ashift 13 for SSD only pools. That's 8KB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess the BSD versions of TrueNAS are already one foot in the grave.

quote:

We have no plans for a FreeBSD 14-based TrueNAS at this time, and the 13.1 release will be a longer-lived maintenance train for those who want to continue running on the BSD product before migrating to SCALE later at some later date.

On the SCALE side, it is where the future of TrueNAS is going, all new features and development activities take place there now.

quote:

CORE we still will maintain with updates for a while as their are large enough numbers of users on 13.1 to justify it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/truenas/comments/18hfwcr/comment/kd7l36h/

I mean, the full quote might be subject to interpretation, but alas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you're not hung up on it being specifically BSD or Linux, it matters gently caress all because both Core and Scale do NFS.

That said, some people have strong opinions about that. If you qualify, I guess you're SOL. IIRC there's at least one other BSD based NAS distro, if you want it to come with an UI out of the box. But I can't remember what it was called. NAS4Free probably.

Personally I'm on Scale mainly just because the Linux kernel comes with a NVMe-oF target driver, that also does RDMA. The Kubernetes stuff irks me a lot, but it sounds like they're doing work to support containers via systems-nspawn or something like that, as alternative to k3s.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 21, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Someone from iX in reddit comments saying "this is the end of CORE" as the only way this is being communicated seems pretty sketch to me.
Someone from iX is their head engineer, IIRC.

Kung-Fu Jesus posted:

Beforehand, I tested SCALE, encountered the ARC memory size restriction/default configuration, read up on some of the reasons why it does that, and cheerfully hosed off back to CORE.
Ostensibly iX is working towards making the ARC not be a red headed stepchild under Linux memory management. I wonder how long that'll take. I haven't spotted anything obvious in the OpenZFS repo commits yet so far.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In practice, the first won't happen because the GPL license is incompatible with CDDL (according to some lawyers), and the second won't happen because Linux kernel maintainers' opinions on ZFS.
EDIT: Neither of those are technical, they're political - and in my experience, you don't solve the latter kind of issues by using the former kind of solutions.
I kind of expect a TrueNAS specific kernel patch. At least those allusions made over time, whenever someone bugged them about an update in regards to this, read like it. They intend to stick to LTS kernels, so any homebrew solution would last quite a while and gives them time to port to the next LTS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can’t say I like the idea of making distribution-specific changes that aren’t upstreamed.
Same reason I’m not super enthusiastic about Illumos taking in bhyve, as they’ve not been good about upstreaming.
Yea well, blame the Linux kernel devs for having a stick up their rear end. While I don't expect them to merge all of ZFS, some support code in the kernel would be neat. More so, given the popularity of ZFS in the Linux ecosystem.

Also, TIL that Illumos is still alive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

RAID-Z striping is a little dynamic. It tries to stretch a block across the array, but it can just decide to write shorter stripes, depending on the conditions (block size vs. stripe width vs. ashift vs. moon phase etc.)

Random image to illustrate:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Didn't they act essentially like two drives in one enclosure? At least the SAS ones?

--edit: Wendell has a video about the SATA version. It's basically just concats two disks. Some kind of interleaving would have been interesting to see what it does.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 6, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea. You just need to mess around in the terminal to do everything, tho. TrueNAS ships all relevant modules for md, ext4, xfs and so on. Perhaps just not btrfs.

--edit:
Apparently even btrfs.

code:
servo@truenas:/usr/lib/modules/6.6.16-production+truenas$ ls kernel/fs
9p      bfs             configfs  exfat     fuse     jbd2        netfs       ocfs2      qnx6      sysv    zonefs
adfs    binfmt_misc.ko  dlm       ext4      gfs2     jffs2       nfs         omfs       quota     ubifs
affs    btrfs           ecryptfs  f2fs      hfs      jfs         nfs_common  orangefs   reiserfs  udf
afs     cachefiles      efivarfs  fat       hfsplus  lockd       nfsd        overlayfs  romfs     ufs
autofs  ceph            efs       freevxfs  hpfs     mbcache.ko  nilfs2      pstore     smb       vboxsf
befs    coda            erofs     fscache   isofs    minix       nls         qnx4       squashfs  xfs
servo@truenas:/usr/lib/modules/6.6.16-production+truenas$

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm degraded mirrors? Last I remember, you can create a zpool with a single disk, and when you zpool attach (not add) another to it, it'll turn into a mirror.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

When I do reverse proxying, I don’t need to install the SSL certificate in every drat container? Traefik worthwhile or too much?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seeing the BRT fixes that keep going into OpenZFS, they sure got blindsided by their own project complexity. :haw:

The 2.2.4 release of OpenZFS is gonna get some speculative prefetcher improvements I'm putting my hopes in, to improve streaming game data from a spinning rust mirror on a cold cache.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Last I remember, TrueNAS creates 2GB swap partitions on all disks you put in a pool.

I created my pools on the command line to do whole unpartitioned disks like in ye olde OpenSolaris days.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The issue I have with Unraid is the inability to modify the base system. I could live with having to redo it every update, but it doesn't even let me. I have a bash script that does that for TrueNAS. I essentially want NVMe-oF for high performance block I/O over the network. And I can't have that on Unraid. There's this obnoxious plugin system, but gently caress that one. If TrueCharts/k8s charts is poo poo, so is this. That said, it also doesn't even have native iSCSI support. Some NAS software this Unraid.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 25, 2024

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

This is pretty drat niche in my opinion, given that the primary usage case for both is still spinning disk for big cheap bulk storage.

Real world with cheap-ish flash, how much lower latency is NVMeoF vs iSCSI? How fast is your networking?!
I have disks in a mirror for pseudo "dual actuator", backed by an 512GB L2ARC on an Gen3 NVMe drive and 52GB of ARC. If the caches are hot, I get SSD-like performance over the network (playing games stored on the NAS).

I have 40GBe Mellanox cards in my desktop and my NAS. I'm specifically using NVMe-oF, because that's the only way to get RDMA, thanks to the Starwind initiator on Windows and Linux' nvmet+nvmet-rdma kernel modules.

As far as latency, I don't have hard numbers. I just know that last time I benchmarked it with DiskMark, in the worst metric, i.e. single threaded random 4KB reads, iSCSI crap out at 34MB/s, whereas it gets up to 90MB/s using NVMe-oF. That says enough. Forgot what 32 threaded sequential was at, but it was beyond 3GB/s.

Either way, if Unraid would just let me gently caress around with the base system, that'd be fine. Then I could replicate it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You definitely need high performance for the streaming assets type of games, see my earlier post what that implies. For level loading games, they’ll take somewhat longer to load on 1/2.5Gbit Ethernet. More so, if you solely rely on spinning rust (forget streaming assets in that scenario, the very least for more recent games).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's why I saved myself all the grief and just got a Define 7 XL instead.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's KiB, MiB, GiB etc. for data volumes, and K, M, G etc. for counts.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ARC total accesses? I presume so.

Regarding as to how much or little it is, you have to consider that these VMs run their own disk caches.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

and that every LBA on your L2ARC device will take up 70 bytes of memory that could otherwise be used by the ARC
FFS, you keep claiming this. It's 70 bytes per ZFS data block.

code:
L2ARC size (adaptive):                                         411.1 GiB
        Compressed:                                    93.2 %  383.4 GiB
        Header size:                                    0.1 %  607.6 MiB
I'd say that's a decent trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless you go bonkers with L2ARC, or you're severely memory limited, the trade-off may be worth it.

In my case, it's limited to pool metadata and ZVOLs with either 16KB or 64KB volblocksize. I'm giving away 0.61GB of the 52GB of ARC to keep 400GB of data warm on a Gen3 NVMe SSD. Works fine for running games on Steam (per fast loads after clearing ARC via a reboot).

If you're working with the default ZFS record size of 128KB (or bigger), you might get better ratios of headers vs data. Compression reduces it only so far (which I'm using on these ZVOLs, too).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 10, 2024