Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So are consumer Atom systems turbofucked or just the server boards that I’m to cheap too buy? I’m running an ASRock J1900 board that takes laptop memory, because it was the absolute cheapest way to upgrade my dying home server.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dell PERC H310, or just an LSI 9211-8i if you don't want to gently caress with the convoluted firmware flashing process

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I did it, and had to do several of the later steps on an intel/eufi motherboard instead of the older amd/bios mobo I was going to use it in for reasons I won't pretend to understand :psyduck:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

ZFS on Linux has a reputation as slow, and BTRFS is “native” and “the future” though it hasn’t been maturing as fast as it should, and I can run ZFS on Debian now without a third party repo and a lengthy compile for every minor update. Next time I rework my storage I’m probably going back to ZFS or installing UnRAID like everyone else itt

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

200w is fine for a few drives assuming you don’t also have a gaming gpu shoved in there as well

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The RAID-0 one makes it seem like the water cooler would still work with the failure of one tank. Which it won't.

Imagine a dead rat clogging the neck as the failure mode

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

If they use something they dug out of an Aztec temple it doesn't matter as long as it meets the performance specifications.

I would find WD looting UNESCO world heritage sites almost as disconcerting as this SMR poo poo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

crossposting from the yospos security thread:

hopefully no one here has one of these devices exposed to the internet

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

probably this: https://twitter.com/TrueNAS/status/1570102713651982336

storj storj storj storj storj

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

fletcher posted:

I wish there was an easy way to backup/archive text, videos, and images from all the various chat apps (signal, whatsapp, discord, instagram, sms, etc etc)

I'm sure somebody has this :nsa:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

So what's the reason why desktop CPUs won't support RDIMMs? How much complexity would that add to the memory controller? IIRC the server CPUs can run both? I guess that dumb notch moving about doesn't help?

in addition to the actual cost/complexity, Intel loooooves to use this as a market segmentation feature because its one of the few things differentiating a low-end xeon from a desktop chip

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Is there a NAS OS/VM image that supports MacOS file search over SMB out of the box? I think I'd rather separate file store out to its own host than spend probably the same amount of effort setting up elasticsearch, etc. on debian

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they're cowards and bullies for picking on poor little btrfs instead of going after zfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

The speculation is that Glacier is using Bluray machines, and that's about as good as you can get for data integrity unless you want to mandate human readability, in which case lol

it's wild that there are commercial data storage services where the underlying technology is "we're not telling you" :iiam: