Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
For whoever asked, I'm getting a few new drives this weekend and I'll be setting up UnRaid to see how it is. I'll do a little review after I've spent a few days with it and do the usual poo poo to sabotage/stress test it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

Newegg has the N40L bundled with a WD 2TB Green Drive for $289 as the shell shocker this morning:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.895105

Sort of a hot deal? The drive is $130 by itself, assuming you have a need for it.

Wow that's a ridiculously good deal. The server alone goes for $400+ up here in Canada, we get totally hosed on them and the drive is like $140ish. I wish my buddy in Buffalo wasn't on vacation so I could get him to order one for me.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I know some people here tried Flexraid back in beta last year and it was pretty rough so I figured I would chime in with a more recent report. I ran out of room on my old Synology unit and the 1512+ was incredibly expensive so I just said gently caress it and built a little NAS mid-tower. I didn't want to deal with ZFS or mdadm at home so I gave a Windows box a shot for a change. My first choice was Unraid but their website is vague and finding general info on it sucks so I checked out Flexraid instead.

I've got a 12TB setup, 3 data drives and one parity disk. I've found the web interface to be fairly decent, performance has been good and no show stopping bugs or other issues. He could've made the exclusion process for small files with parity a bit easier but I'm used to dealing with regex so I didn't care. I simulated a disk failure and was able to restore 900GB of video files from parity without issues. If you lose a parity disk and a data drive at the same time then you're left with native files for the rest of the array which is what attracted me to it. The scheduling and notification systems work fine, I wish the success reports would pass along the smart info though. Not much to say about storage pooling, it works well and no permissions issues.

All in all not bad for $50-60 for a home array. I wouldn't use it at the office or something but it's great for "it just works" poo poo at home where you don't want much complexity.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

The reviews on NewEgg list a LOT of DOA/quick failures for those WD Red drives. Makes me a bit nervous.

People who get duds tend to be the most vocal and brand polarized, you can't really trust Newegg reviews unless there is a clear pattern or consensus. The WD Red drives are excellent but pricey unless you get them on sale. I went with some Seagate 3TBs for my latest build and while they are a tad noisier the performance has been great. My fileserver is headless and sits in a closet anyways so it didn't really matter. If I could've gotten the WD Reds for $90 like the Seagates then I would've been all over that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

yomisei posted:

The Seagate Barracuda 3TB are consuming about twice the power of a WD Red, also getting quite a bit hotter by that account. If you run them constantly for a few years their price difference vanishes in the electric bill. Their more silent operation is also more reassuring than the occasional cirp by the Seagates.

Eh the reds were literally double the price up here in Canada and the 3W difference (only at load) isn't amortized in a year or two. In terms of temps mine are running at low 30s in a Fractal R4 with the default single 140mm intake. I have no doubt that the reds are better drives and they would have been my first choice but I have parity + backups and the differences were too minor for me to care. I'll see how their reliability is in the long term though, maybe that will make me change my mind later on.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

There are a few others:
- Flexraid (supports pooling, different sized drives, etc. Works out to $60)
- Snapraid (snapshot parity, 1 or 2 drive failures, command line, free)
- disParity (snapshot only, data is all kept on its own drive, windows only, free)

There are also some that support drive pooling, different drive sizes, but "mirroring" only (as in, two copies of everything you have). Windows 8 storage spaces has this (as well as keeping three copies of everything), and there is also drive bender ($17.50-$29.95), which also maintains a filesystem on each disk (so you can pull out a drive and access it in any computer, although you won't have the file structure)

Snapraid isn't bad (the Elucidate GUI for it needs major work though) and Flexraid is pretty good now, I did a small write up on it a page or two ago. I haven't tried disParity yet. Storage Spaces was an annoying experience, I ran into some bugs with the reporting tools and performance with parity was awful.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

pr0digal posted:

I hope that means the price of the N40L will go down

Unfortunately they're still in heavy demand so I suspect it just means the price stays the same (or goes up) and availability will be poo poo as they are phased out. I already noticed several Canadian suppliers haven't reupped, probably since HP isn't sending them more.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
He wants to transcode and do other stuff simultaneously plus it sounds like he'd be hitting the physical limitations on the N40L, might be better off doing a custom build with a cheap Pentium G860 or something like that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

I'd like to be able to do bittorrent/newsgroups in the background and still be able to stream -- is that feasible?

Looking at the G2120 or even an i3, I still don't think I'd be getting a huge benefit for transcoding or anything...

The N40L (or really any of those Synology/etc units) will be fine for basic NAS duties and some background stuff like SAB/SB. If you want to transcode or get into anything more resource intensive then you start running into custom built territory.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

movax posted:

Fractal R4 if you're OK with a mid-tower ATX case. It's not *that* big IMO.

Yeah that's exactly what I used for my latest fileserver build and it's great. I wish they would adopt tool free drive brackets but it's a one and done so it's not a huge deal. Very quiet, good temperatures and lots of room. The included fan controller was a nice touch too. It does have a pretty big foot print so you won't want it sitting near an AV setup or something but that's easily solved with a cable run to a different area.

I think I got mine for $100ish around Christmas and it's good value for the money.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

kill your idols posted:

Flexraid is what I used for Windows based software Raid. Worked really good for me.

http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html breaks down a bunch of other's.

I currently use FlexRaid on Windows as well, great feature set, no complaints other than it costs money.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking into Flexraid right now since it's been talked about favorably on the previous page and I just want to make sure I understand it correctly. Can someone explain to me how the parity data protection works when you have a couple different sized HDDs in the storage pool? If I have say 2x 750GB HDDs and 1x 2TB HDDs, I get that you'd be ok if one of the 750GB drives fails, but if the 2TB drive went bust you'd be screwed wouldn't you?

Also, is Flexraid easy to use/figure out in general? I'm thinking about getting a lil homeserver going and I'm wondering if the setup I got in my head so far (N40L, WHS2011, Flexraid) is biting off more than I can chew.

The Flexraid wiki has a good breakdown for most of the basics. Your parity unit needs to be at least as large as your largest data unit. So if you have a 2TB data drive and data 3x150GB drives, your parity unit should still be a 2TB drive. The wiki isn't great about suggesting up an exclusion list for small files like NFOs and whatnot but theres a few forum posts about it and the regex is easy enough to figure out.

By default in cruise control mode it will go with power saving by filling up each drive in a pool one at a time, you need to change that setting if you don't like it or just want the files spread out. The interface takes a little getting used to and I wish it would auto-refresh properly, sometimes you still need to manually hit it. Other than that it's pretty straight forward and it should auto-install the file system drivers and whanot already. Getting the scheduling setup and putting in your gmail settings takes a few minutes. I use snapshot mode and only update once a week, verify once a month since most of my setup is large video files. You should also disable shadow copy and all that background Windows junk, the wiki covers most of it and I think the install does some of it now too IIRC.

If you need any help feel free to ask, you will be up and going in 10-15 minutes in most cases and it's not really difficult.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 13, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
The Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives are decent, bit higher on power than the Reds but generally perform pretty well. I think the warranty is only 2 years though but I bought a bunch and didn't have any DOA so I guess that's...something?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

I was going to build a NAS, then realized I've got a giant desktop with four open 3.5" platter spots so I might as well save the money and shove a bunch of platters in there instead.

I'm going to be starting off with 2 3tb Reds, and then adding more as needed. I'm looking to use this as a NAS for serving videos to an HTPC that's elsewhere on the network (with an ivy bridge i3 processor, so it's not short on processor power). I intend to dedicate one of the 3tb drives to parity data, but I'd like to be able to add new hard drives to the mix without much hassle. The data is currently on three 1tb hard drives from my old system, that I'll be moving over to the new drives (the old system is fairly broke at this point, so I'll probably just put them one by one in the new system and copy the files).

What's the best solution for what I'm looking to do? I'm thinking I mostly want a software solution like flexraid, but I'm really not all that clear on the differences between various systems and what's going to be best for my needs.

Since you've ruled out a dedicated NAS device it depends on what your needs are. Is it going to be mostly large, static video files? If so then ZFS stuff is overkill and it doesn't really do single drive expansion so you can go with a snapshot raid setup or the traditional linux mdadm + lvm raid 5 route. The SnapRAID page actually has a pretty good comparison breakdown. My latest file server is running Windows instead of *nix so I tried several of the snapshot raid utilities and some of the USB distro ones before that, of them Flexraid is my favorite in terms of features. SnapRAID will do what you need with some scheduling setup if you don't require storage pooling. FlexRaid and UnRAID both cost money too so there's that.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

crm posted:

Can you add devices to the ZFS pool (or pools to the device?) I'm a little confused on how that works.

You can create additional vdevs but you can't expand existing ones. You could make another vdev and add that to the pool however. There was an experimental branch working on this but I haven't kept up with it. People should carefully plan out their home fileserver builds when using ZFS as future expansion is more difficult.

Edit: beaten

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why is it taking an i3 an hour to unpack that? I'm running some low end Sandy Bridge Pentium that does it much faster than that. Something is up there. I only used UnRAID for a few weeks but I never noticed slow unpacking from the SAB addon.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kalix posted:

Gah - hopefully I don't regret the N40, N54L went on sale the next day.

So i've also read about the high failure rate on the RED Western Digital Drives.
Is it just the 3TB or the 2TB as well?

Is it reasonable to go with these, or should I opt for something else?

They're great drives, people have all sorts of anecdotal experiences with hard drives. Once in awhile you get a DOA or problematic drive regardless of brand, the vast majority are fine. I have a mixed setup with Seagates, WD Greens, WD Reds, etc and they're all solid these days.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Heners_UK posted:

I'm gunning to get one in Canada or shipped to just next to the US border at this price. I'm wondering if we set up some sort of alert email list for these.....

That's what I ended up doing, got one shipped to USAddress and picked it up just across the border. I got hit with duty and still ended up way ahead, they are like $400+ up here and can go as low as $150-200 down there. I saw it on slickdeals I think. You can also use camelcamelcamel to watch Amazon/etc.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

So, if you just need dumb storage with low I/O (like serving media), is there any reason not to do something like green drives with a Windows OS + Drive Bender or something similar? As I understood it a good while ago TLER doesn't do dick to software-based pooling/RAID solutions.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing for my new file server and I'm quite happy with it. Serves our whole house no problem, its essentially zero attention and maintenance which was my biggest goal.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

As I understood it though, you can do softraid (at least mirroring) in drive bender. I don't have massive storage needs, and was thinking of just doing a couple 4TB drives mirrored. The main attraction with Drive Bender was that it keeps the individual drives intact so in a failure scenario you don't have to worry about failed rebuilds, and the individual drives stay in a usable single state.

I think Snapraid or Drive Bender would be fine for something that simple, I've used it in the past and it's pretty painless. The GUI addon with Snapraid was quite buggy last time I bothered with it, I ended up using the CLI and had no issues.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was just throwing it out there in case he wanted something free. If you want drive pooling and redundancy there are some other solutions - Stablebits Drivepool, Flexraid, etc. I use Flexraid personally as I needed drive pooling as well, I used Snapraid in the past when I just needed a parity backup on our Windows machines at home.

If you don't care about getting your hands dirty then ZFS is always an option too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crackbone posted:

Looking for some advice on which drives to buy. I'll be doing a Windows-based set up with Drive Bender, probably just mirroring two drives. This will be strictly for media storage. Is there anything in the 3 TB range that's considered a best buy?

I've used both the WD Reds and the Seagate 3TBs in builds, it's easier to find the latter on sale but they are a tad louder than the Reds.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

Are there serious benefits to getting something like a Synology DS412+ versus a HP N54L that I'm not understanding for the price, or is it purely Synology name and their NAS setup versus installing FreeNAS or the equivalent yourself? I've got two 2GB and a 4GB USB drive I've always stored media on, and one of those 2GB started grinding hard enough during read/writes to vibrate my whole desk today. I'd like to replace it with something a little more modern, and with RAID5. I don't mind working my way through FreeNAS, but I wasn't sure if there were some obvious benefits to a Synology device in terms of maybe cooling or something I might not be seeing for the extra price. It's mostly going to house Plex media for two devices (mostly 720p video) with some backup of code and photos and other personal junk.

It's a preference thing, convenience factor and support mainly. If you're transcoding then I recommend rolling your own. You can run XPEnology yourself on an N54L if you want too. I'm glad I built mine because our needs have changed over time and the flexibility of your own hardware is nice. Synology stuff is my suggestion for friends who want a hands off well supported NAS though.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 18, 2013

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Synology is probably the best for consumer NAS stuff if you don't want to roll your own. I've setup a few units for friends and family, the feature set for the price is really good and the hardware itself is usually very stable and performs more than adequately. I hear good things about their tech support too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

FISHMANPET posted:

Does anybody run Crashplan on their Synology?

E: I see there are instructions on the Crashplan site even though it's unsupported, just looking for any first hand accounts of how well it works.

I bought my father a Synology for work and he likes Crashplan so I set it up for him. It's not click and install, you have to manually go through a few steps to get it going and then you need to edit the config file of a client to work with it because there is no configuration interface for the server package. I'd really recommend just doing the folder mount trick to get around Crashplans inability to work with network shares, it takes like 2 seconds. I've done several test restores and it doesn't seem to affect functionality at all.

If you do decide to go with the Crashplan server package on the Synology itself then this is the guide I followed.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but I'm looking for a NAS for my parents. I've been considering the Seagate Central devices because they're cheap, small, and focused on ease of use. Has anyone tried one of these things before? The main complaint seems to be iffy software and slow transfer speeds.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a decent cheap NAS that old people will be able to use?

For what purpose, just pictures and the usual family stuff? If so I'm sure it would be fine but I would really get them something better if you're doing anything more advanced than that like media backups, streaming and etc. A friend of mine bought one of those and they are painfully slow at everything, drop from the network frequently and the interface isn't anything to write home about. I haven't used it much but he bitches about it constantly.

The baseline Synology units are usually well priced and they just introduced a new low end one for even cheaper. Those would be a much better gift.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My brother needs his fileserver in his living room for whatever reason and already bought everything except the case. What's a decent, small case that'll take a MicroATX board and is relatively quiet? Only needs to take 2-4 hard drives tops.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dunno about quiet but 2-4 drives, come on, go for this bad boy.

I can totally see using one of these for my next server iteration.

I was actually drooling over that earlier for my own purposes but sadly for his it would be complete overkill and I don't see any available yet in Canuckistan. I need something like a Node 304 (well ok slightly larger is fine) that takes a micro ATX board.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Are there any decent options for prebuilt NAS with transcoding (Plex)? I need something fairly dummy proof for a family member and I want to spend little to no time helping them with it after setup. I was looking at the Synology DS-xxx Play line but they don't seem to support Plex.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

does anybody have any experience recovering files from a Synology Diskstation?

I'm currently in a state of panic because for some reason my Photo share w/ my past decade or so of raw photos (minus a backup to an external drive from maybe two years ago) seems to be mostly empty.

I just fired up lightroom to edit some photos and realized that all of my folders are marked as missing... went and checked the folder and I seem to have nothing in the Photo share save for the things I just imported like 10 minutes ago.

The only thing I can figure might have happened is that I installed BitTorrent Sync on my laptop a few days ago and was playing around with figuring out the best way to sync the raw photos from my laptop to my Photo share folder. To the best of my knowledge I tried to add the Photos share folder as a destination but wasn't able to connect to my diskstation on my laptop.

I think I'm going to puke if I can't figure out where these went.

I seriously can't imagine the thought of several years worth of photos being gone. I was planning on figuring out how to sync my photos from the diskstation off to an external USB3 drive which is part of the reason I installed BitTorrent Sync but was planning on waiting until I moved in a month so I could sort out my new network configuration before trying to figure this out.

Sync shouldn't delete files unless they're deleted on the source also, I would check out Diskstation itself and run the disk test in DSM. If all fails you could try mounting the disks in another machine too, I suggest making a clone of the drives before you go any further. You can try Synology support as well, they are apparently pretty decent about remoting in to help people.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

MMD3 posted:

so after a week of back and forth with Synology support and giving them access to remote into my NAS I hadn't heard from them in a few days so I followed up with them and basically got a "sorry, we can't tell anything, you should go to a data recovery place".

The only thing remotely helpful that they were able to tell me (which isn't really helpful at all) is that the RAM I put in my drive is apparently unsupported and RAM can do unpredictable things if it fails. I asked if it was normal for RAM to neatly wipe an entire folder of content and they just kind of said well... haven't seen that before.

So is there anything else I should try before I take it to a data recovery place and empty my checkbook?

I SSH'd into it and didn't see anything in the folder than what I see in the folder through explorer. Not sure if there's some other way to check with SSH, I'm not really very familiar with command line stuff.

Without having access I can't really recommend anything else. If the drives are fine physically its more likely that someone was farting around on the source and deleted the files which in turn would cause BT Sync to remove them. A memory problem is not likely to leave you with an intact but blank array.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Proprietary nature of their stuff, price and better options available. I've never personally owned a Drobo but I've seen several failed recoveries from people who have. In fact I've never seen a successful one. I feel like there are few cases where you're better off going with a Drobo when you have Synology or roll your own solutions around. The NAS as a home server ecosystem is also fully fleshed out on a Synology, tons of application support. Synology also has its own hybrid raid implementation that I don't know much about.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

necrobobsledder posted:

Just as a friendly reminder for us data hoarders, but because all sorts of errors are possible beyond just your disks... so continuous, regular back-ups are heartily recommended, especially if you are running even a small business. Linus from Linus Tech Tips (not Linus Torvalds, yeesh) nearly lost a crap-ton of his data and wasted two weeks of time in the process.

I'm just a bit dumbfounded how a guy that's put out so much build advice built such a shoddy RAID setup in the first place even if it's so many years old... and proceeded to continue to build his company on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSrnXgAmK8k

Cult of personality, somehow that dipshit has a successful following and brand. He didn't even have the self-awareness to be embarrassed about that setup. At least he was smart enough to realize he was in way over his head and got a data recovery firm involved.

"hoverboard jousting" project listed as important. Somehow people make a living doing this poo poo thanks to Youtube. I am old.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jesse Iceberg posted:

From what I gathered, he had three separate hardware RAID5 volumes on three different controllers that he then striped across as one logical volume in software? That seems ill-advised.

With a bunch of Kingston SSDs too. It is absolute loving buffoonery. Somehow that video has massed 72000 "likes". I hope it is people liking the situation as a whole.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

With Storage Spaces even. That was a poo poo article.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I need to upgrade my NAS pretty soon, space is getting tight. The hardware on the box itself is fine, it's just the drives that need to be swapped. What are people using to retain/transition all of the data over? Uploading 8TB to the cloud on my 10mbit upstream is going to kind of suck. I really don't want to buy a bunch of externals or something if I can help it.

The only things I can think of are biting the bullet and uploading it somewhere or just building a whole new NAS and copying everything over.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Nah not ZFS yet, that's what I'm going to transition to soon. This is my old box running Flexraid but I'm not confident in it's ability any longer, the old version I use isn't maintained. I guess I will bite the bullet and spend 2 months uploading it somewhere.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

One extra thing for anyone using or planning to use CrashPlan as a way to deal with a drive failure I should have mentioned in my original post is that Crashplan doesn't have an option to restore only missing files, so it can be difficult to figure out what specific files were stored on the failed drive and actually need to be restored.

I like drive pool a lot but was thinking about trying flexraid soon so I could get 1 parity disk and mostly avoid that issue.

I really can't recommend FlexRaid anymore. The documentation is very poor and the author is frankly a bit of an rear end in a top hat on his forum. I've had a few failed parity reconstructions which didn't really give me any confidence in the product. In the past when I tested things were fine but I would really just go with Snapraid or something else these days.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Amen. I have no idea when it became the thing to make your computer look like a loving Daft Punk concert but man it looks embarrassing. I have had to go completely out of my way to find decent, well made, windowless cases for all my machines anymore.

And Jesus gently caress if I get one more thing with a blue LED that I can see from space I am going to lose it.

I usually just snip or put electric tape on LEDs now. I bought a kettle the other day and plugged it in. It had 2 blue ones. They're everywhere now.

quote:

Not to be a Seagate apologist, but it's worth noting that those terrible Seagates are generic desktop drives, while the WD's are all Reds.

Also the Backblaze workloads must be absolutely insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm going to finally retire my old NAS and do a new build. I want around 30-40TB of space, right now I'm using like 12TB but when I look at the size of 4K UHD stuff I want to futureproof as much as I can. Part of me just wants to go with Synology or something but I hate depending on package maintainers for stuff like Radarr and I need decent transcoding performance for at least 3-4 streams. Most of their stuff seems to be 2000 passmark rated Celeron/Atom crap unless I'm missing something.

Any recommendations for a 5+ bay case that will sit in my basement? Something with a SATA/SAS backplane with a decent amount of space. I had a Silverstone DS380B awhile ago and drives were very hot so I ended up just using a desktop case I had laying around instead. I was looking at the uNAS stuff but they seem really annoying to cable and work inside of.