Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can't find a better thread to post my NAS question so if someone can suggest one I'll gently caress off and ask it there.

I'm trying to rsync from old to new with the command

rsync -azP shares/DIRECTORYHERE/ root@newNASip:shares/DIRECTORYHERE/

I'm pretty sure this specific command worked on my last migration but instead of going from /shares/DIRECTORYHERE/ to the same directory on the new device it's trying to put it in /root/home/shares/DIRECTORYHERE/ which isn't a place on this stupid WD box that I bought because I don't care enough to roll my own but maybe I should have?

Any ideas or am I going to have to do it all with a computer in the middle and spend 3 weeks moving my poo poo at like 3Mb/s

EDIT: figured it out, needed another / in the destination to stop it defaulting to root's home directory I'm a loving idiot.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m tired of upgrading my single drive NAS solution every few years and I want to buy something with a few spare bays (I think 4 bays would be ideal) I can just slap extra/bigger drives into, while presenting as a single storage volume to keep things as simple as possible for managing the space.

I also don’t give a poo poo about redundancy because nothing I have is so important that I couldn’t bear to lose it, but I would still like it if one dead drive only lost me whatever was on that disc rather than take out my entire collection.

Is this a setup I can achieve in something from Synology or QNAP? I’d rather have a little off the shelf box than have to build a small PC to run something else if I can help it.

For a little more less-relevant info, processing power is mostly irrelevant because I’m not gonna be transcoding anything, it literally just needs to be a box to store files on that can be accessed over my local network. The heaviest lifting it might do is if I try to get fancy and move over my *arr and nzbget setups to have everything on one local device, but that’s not essential and would just be a nice to have if I can be bothered to do the necessary computer touching.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Sounds like you want unRAID. Can it just be installed in a qnap system?

I have no idea, but if it can then I guess that’s a third option?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After 2 more years of dithering I finally bit the bullet on a big boy NAS and got a 4 bay QNAP all set up this week.

I even got my various *arrs setup through container station with only like half an hour of trying to work out why the gently caress they couldn’t see each other. I eventually realised they were looking for the internal IP addresses assigned by the virtual switch on the QNAP and not the ones they were presenting to my network - setting them up again with static IPs made this way easier to work with.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I hosed up by assuming I could remember what was going on in my kludged together collection of independently networked drives and their variously daisy-chained external expansions, so I have another 16tb drive coming to occupy the next bay already because I undershot my original required capacity estimate :shepspends:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some people are serious about their Linux iso collection

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Delete all their favourite things

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Probably not all that much for the forums themselves but all the offsite embedded poo poo is going to add up

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My QNAP box is arm powered and it seems to do just fine. I have containers on it running the *arrs and sabnzbd 24/7 and it has no problem doing all of that while serving even the chunkiest of files all over the network.

I imagine if I wanted it to transcode poo poo for plex or something instead of accessing my Linux ISOs directly from various media devices it would be a different story, but I’m not doing that, so it’s ok.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I will never plex, Kodi forever

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Volguus posted:

Yes, I just browse the movies folder and they're all nicely alphabetically arranged, in their own folder (in my case), ready to be played. If there is a cover image downloaded in there by the *arr app they'll show it, if not they won't. The movies don't need to be transcoded before that, it'll just play whatever format/codec they came in.

I think it can be configured to scan "library" and show stuff in a more "like netflix" ui, but there's no requirement for that.

Kodi will also generate cover images and episode titles itself if *arr doesn’t, if you go into the settings for the source folder and tell it what kind of media is in there it has scrapers built in.

You don’t have to add it to the library thing for that part because I don’t do that either, it’s a separate option I can’t remember the specific name of but it’s in there. “Scan for new content” I think.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah Kodi is just opening the file like any other device on the network would.

Plex wanting to charge me to use their mobile apps on my own local network killed my interest in looking into it any further than that the last time I went option shopping, so I stuck with running Kodi on appropriate single board HTPC setups for my tvs and vlc on mobile to access the network share all my poo poo lives on.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

Transcoding is also needed in many cases for subtitles - see Supported Subtitle Formats here: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200471133-adding-local-subtitles-to-your-media/

Pretty much any media player worth a poo poo will let you turn on subtitles either embedded in the file itself or alongside it in a .srt file, that’s absolutely not a situation that requires transcoding.

This sometimes causes issues in the other direction for me, where files that have been distributed with a foreign language subtitle file flagged to on/default/whatever the gently caress needs to have them turned off again manually whenever I play them if I’m using vlc device instead of one of my Kodi boxes since that doesn’t support forcing a default subtitle option :v:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The internet will assume whichever option lets them dunk on the most people for not doing it their preferred way so ultimately it doesn’t really matter.