Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
So i'm going to get some sort of nas in the new year. I'm considering the following

dlink dns-323
2*1 tb hdds or 2*1.5tb hdds

i'm slightly paranoid about drive failure what sort of warning would i get if one of the drives started to fail? does this unit spin the drives down when idle?

What would the best scheme for seting up the drives jbod? raid 1? or is there enough power in this to use something more exotic like zfs?

Aside from those questions is it powerfulenough to run a webdav server (for mozila weave), a torrent client with an rss feed reader, share a printer, as well as and additional hdd (set up to mirror the important data , irespective of the partition scheme/raid) ?

google says yes to a usb hub, so hears hopeing i can afford it all come the new year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

politicorific posted:

A friend wants me to put together a NAS for him on the cheap.

How awful of an idea is it to use one of the new Intel Atom platforms to run windows xp (linux is too complicated for him) along with a 4 sata port pci card and 6 hard drives max with windows running off a flash card. Looking to simply serve files and probably not bother with raid. Will an atom 330 have enough power for this? A motherboard+cpu is about $70 off newegg.

sounds like it would be fine have you thought about using windows home server instead of xp? if folder replication is turned on adding drives at a later date is so much easier.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

modeski posted:

TL;DR: NAS newbie looking for advice on creating 4Tb NAS media server that will be relatively economical to leave powered on 24/7.

Windows Home Server you probably want to have a look at this thread as well. a home server would be more versatile than a NAS and would have a far larger storage capacity.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Twiin posted:

I would really like to try WHS again but I am still terrified of the data corruption issue coming back after I lost a ton of data on the retail edition.

Not been an issue since power pack 1, 2 is out and 3 with full support for windows 7 is in beta. Though that one may take a while to come out, when i was running it it seamed to be a major resource hog.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

xPanda posted:

Are you able to elaborate on this? Finding information on PMP support in Opensolaris is really difficult, but the build log says it was added in build 122 or thereabouts. I've seen a few posts around of people who claim to have it working.

I set up an opensolaris system to test PMP support, and used the development repositories to update to snv_131, and the system froze when I turned on the external 3176 PMP connected to an internal 3132 chipset card. I'm yet to try other scenarios.

When you say that as of snv_130 they are still not correctly supported, do you mean that they are supported but incorrectly, or that they are not supported at all? If its the first case, what is wrong with the support?

i spent a lot of time yesterday trying to work out which sil chipset works with which card. while i can't help you with open solaris if you can, load up windows and make sure that you are running the most recent bios on the 3132 card and that it's the correct bios to be running ie if you want raid use that otherwise use the base bios. There are also some bugs with the sil3176 firmware that might need to be updated, as they are to do with hot plugging.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ATLbeer posted:

Ok.. I need a recommendation here..

2 trips to Fry's and two strike-outs on PCI eSATA cards. Both used Silicon Image chips (3512, 3112) and both will only recognize the first drive on my array with a SATA multiplier.

I've been going through NewEgg trying to find other cards not using the SIL chipset and finally found one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

But, eventually found buried in the reviews
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16816124011

All I'm looking for at this point is a PCI card that gives me a SATA (I have a SATA-eSATA cable) or eSATA port which works with a downstream SATA multiplier.

Sigh..
I had the same problem a few months back you need something with the Sil 3124 chipset and the latest bios and drivers from the silicon image website. I eventually found a card from a seller in hong kong via ebay. This is probably your best bet not to be ripped off.

http://desc.shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_TitleDesc=1&LH_AvailTo=3&_nkw=sil3124

thats probably a good starting point.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Yes, but not usually for more than a low-power motherboard hdd and dvd drive you'd need to get the data sheet out and crunch the numbers to see if it would support all that you wanted.

Also is the going rate for a 3 sata drive bay adapter like this around £70 and is it worth that?

I'm planning on putting 2 in my home server so i can get 6 drives where i can only fit 4 now.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

A 5-in-3 might be a better deal, since here in the US I can get one of those for that same price off of NewEgg. What about something like this?

You're right I was being daft trying to save money that way, i've gone for a slightly more expensive 5 bay one. It should improve things and make any future additions quicker.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

That looks overly complicated. Why does it have 10 SATA ports? What does "dual channel" mean?

It also gets better reviews, and if it's good i might buy 2 more and a Coolermaster RC-590 to replace the current no brand steel behemoth the server is currently in.

Also no one seems to sell basic beige boxes any more. my system is pretty low power and doesn't need much cooling, all i need is a monster case to put everything in with no frills etc. and this is the closest i could find.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Aredna posted:

I was originally targeting 10TB of usable storage (6+2), but the shape of the case made it so that 10 drives fit just as easily as 8 drives.

I'm definitely concerned about cooling and I'll be posting the design on a few case modding forums for feedback prior to building it. I want to make sure my hardware list is finalized prior to posting it in case something comes up that will require some redesign of the layout.

You could use a sata backplane system like this so all you have to worry about is mounting that instead of individual drives. This would also solve some power and cooling issues as it has it's own fan and a single power hook-up. Also if you need to swap drives or replace a dead one it's so much easier than having them internal mounted.

I got one a few weeks ago and it is a huge improvement all round.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

jeeves posted:

It says four 3.5" drives in three 5" drive bays. So do you use that as a free-standing little fake NAS, or do you have that mounted in a case taking up 3 drive bays? (Vertical or horizontal?)

Mounted internally so I've got 5 drives in the space of 3 x 5.25" bays.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

jeeves posted:

Nice. That's actually pretty nice, since thin atx cases with like three to five 5.25" drive bays are much easier to come by than cases with huge hard drive cages.

Where do you buy those from, for future reference? That brand isn't finding search results on newegg.

Amazon UK. There should be similar versions on Newegg, or there always is ebay.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

wanderlost posted:

I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands, hoping y'all can help out :-)

I'm going to spend this summer traveling around with a touring music act, generating roughly 20GB of performance data per gig ~500GB/Mo. We tour for roughly 2 months at a time before getting back to home base, so I'm wondering how I keep my data safe on the road?

Here are my limitations.
1. It's a loving bus, that means no constant power and no fixed location. We have power 80% of the time, but there will be days when the bus is without juice.
2. No fixed space, I need to be able to cary this around in a backpack, or stow it under the bus as needed.
3. Durable. I'm gentle with my tech, but it's still rock n' roll, so it's gotta be able to stand up to the road.
4. No access, we have wifi on the bus, but it's 30 people sharing a single USB 3G modem, so I can't backup over the net.

I'm hoping there's some hardware option out there that's going to cheaply give me very high reliability assurances, but I imagine it's probably easiest to mail drives back home regularly? Any and all input appreciated!

Storage and transport would be the biggest worries. Cases for everything. and when it's in a case it better not be able to move around. Is the storage you require something you will be directly recording to or will you simply need to transfer and back up the data after each gig? if its simply storage and you are laptop based.

I would be buying 3 tb (data stored in triplicate) worth of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=430

if your laptop has usb 3 so much the better

and storing them in one of these:

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1500

If you go this route i'd make sure that you are checking the integrity of the files once they are copied to the drive and then rechecking a different file on each drive regularly to make sure there is no corruption.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Is anyone here successfully running stablebit drive pool on windows 10? My server is running Windows 7 and i would like to upgrade sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Skeptic posted:

Yep, seems as stable as ever, with a couple of minor UI bugs that aren't show stoppers. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and am running the stable version of Drivepool and Scanner for what it's worth. The devs are testing a Windows 10 build now and recommend waiting for that, while acknowledging that most people on Windows 10 are running well.

That was the conclusion i came to as well. I think i'll go for it. That will just leave 2 more or possibly 3 machines to upgrade.