Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Syano posted:

I think this thread is appropriate for this question. We pulled the trigger on a new EMC Clariion SAN. Can someone reccomend me a good gigabit switch that will support maximum throughput on the iSCSI connections?

If you're looking for price, HP Procurve's are a fraction of Cisco and has been sneaking steadily in to network cores all around, but those two are probably your biggest players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macx
Feb 3, 2005

vanjalolz posted:

Interesting, so following that logic I should be able to start a 3 drive array with 0 parity drives, and add one when I'm ready, right?

Also, I remember reading ages ago that SATA is plug and play. I still hear his quite often, but just how plug and play is it? Can I yank the power/data cables on a sata drive while my computer is on or will things break? (assuming the O/S is writing nothing to the drive ofcourse)

The drive may be, but the filesystem isn't. So long as you've properly unmounted the drive from the OS first, yes, you can just yank the cables hot.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Trash Heap posted:

I've been reading the first post of this thread and reading the links in first two posts and now I'm just plain confused. Please help me!

My requirements may be impossible.

I have both Windows Vista and OSX 10.5 machines that I would like to have access a 'network drive' wirelessly. To be crystal clear, I want the Vista machine to have a mapped network drive where I can drag/drop files to in Windows Explorer. I want to be able to read/write to that same drive with OSX Finder.

I wanted to take advantage of my Mac's built-in backup software, Time Machine, because this is my work computer and backups are absolutely vital!

Perhaps I need two solutions? One drive that is solely dedicated to backing up my mac, and another device/drive that can act as storage for both OSX and Vista?

So... are you looking for a NAS device or advice on configuring your existing setup? If you're willing to spend a little bit of coin, lots of NAS makers support both protocols: SMB/CIFS (windows) and AFP (mac). Just look for one that says it does both.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Stonefish posted:

I have no idea what Time Machine does. Wouldn't it just write some sort of single image file?

Sort of. It does write an image file, but it isn't actually just one file. The sparse bundle format says that the contents of that image file will be broken up in to fixed-length bands (sort of similar to a HD block), and those hundreds/thousands of band files actually make up the sparse bundle, which is actually just a folder that contains them.

Splitting the image in to bands means that if you update a file in an image, you don't need to re-copy the entire image over--you simply replace the bands that changed.

Edit: as far as how it acts over a network, it's like dumping a rar file up on a shared drive. Apple restricts it to only work on HFS+ formatted drives over AFP, but there are tons of ways around this, and there is no harm in circumventing the restriction. It's simply a hold-over from the requirement for an attached drive to have those parameters (hfs+) or the evil marketing department overlords trying to push time capsule, depending on who you ask.

macx fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 1, 2009

macx
Feb 3, 2005

dustgun posted:

Is getting a drobo worth it price-wise compared with building something comparable from scratch? I'm thinking that a first generation would be worth it just because I wouldn't have to worry about setting it all up and inevitably figuring out why it doesn't work.. The ability to just plug in randomly sized drives and have it auto-rebuild things seems very nice :(

What is your time worth to you? If a drobo does what you need (more or less) then go for it. I use and prefer firewire, and the drobo works very well for me in a SOHO environment.

If you have enough free time to build something yourself AND don't mind tinkering, then it's really a toss-up I think.