Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

antek posted:

A bit of a hardware question:

I just finished building my new home server. It's a standard desktop case with 6 internal drive bays. I put 6 750GB SATA drives in there, and they're crammed in pretty tight with no more than a millimeter or two between them. After leaving the system on overnight waiting for mdadm to finish assembling the RAID5 array, I powered it down and opened the case. The drives were very hot to the touch, as was the mounting; I'd almost certainly burn my skin if I touched it for more than a second. Nothing else inside the case seemed to be above normal temperature. The only cooling in the case is the fan in the rear that came with it.

My question is this: this seems like it could become a serious problem if I were to actually keep this running 24/7 in its present state. Am I overreacting, or should I be worried? I don't think I can use any of the hard drive cooling solutions I could find on newegg, as they all seem to be some kind of heat sink + fan that mounts to the top of the drive, and like I said before, there just isn't that kind of space in there.

What options do I have (that don't cost a lot of money)?

Make sure the case is sealed and install an intake fan on the front of the case so that it blows over the drives. You could even put two or three fans up there depending on the case layout. Then set the fan on the back to be an exhaust and it should help drop temps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DNova posted:

Someone in this thread a while ago was asking about portable NAS units with RAID. I'm not sure if he ever got an answer but I just stumbled across this thing: http://newertech.com/products/gmaxmini.php

How is this a NAS? It doesn't have any network connectivity.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

fletcher posted:

How many years can I leave this thing on for before I should replace the drives in it?

That's not really the proper approach to data security. The answer is "You should replace a drive when your server returns read/write errors."

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can someone with a Synology device help me figure out how to reset the root password?

I've already followed this faq to reset the password but all it says is that it resets the admin account to the "default value". I can't find any documentation anywhere that says what that default value actually is.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have a Synology ds411+ with four of these drives in it. Two of these drives are listed as "abnormal" in the DSM control panel and the software is recommending replacement.

I could just order two additional drives since they're only $70, but is there any way I could replace the drives with a bigger model? I currently have all four drives striped together as one volume and no redundancy. (Which I presume means replacing these drives is going to take a crap-ton of data ferrying?)

Thoughts? Advice?