Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

identikit posted:

I want to get Nexentastor running and I was wondering what's the smallest size I can get away with for the "2 identical relatively small disks for high-availability system folder"? Could I possibly use 2 compact flash cards?

I'm also interested in this. I looked somewhat closely at the documentation, but there isn't anything more specific than the line you quoted. Is anyone running a NexentaStor system who can tell us how big the base system is?

On a more general note, how do CF cards and other non-SSD flash media devices hold up running a system not specifically designed for them? What I mean is if I installed a generic Ubuntu server on a usb flash drive, would the normal system logging and temp file stuff cause the disk to use up it's write cycles at any appreciable rate? I assume that distros designed for embedded flash systems do their read/write things in ramdisks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Any recommendations for a RAID 5 device that supports different sized disks? Yeah, I know they all do, I want one that uses the whole thing though. I'd just like to buy a drive now and then and swap out the smallest. A drobo would be fine if only it was network attached and supported rsync. NAS or card, doesn't matter. It's for home use, so the ReadyNAS NV+ is out of my price range.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

antek posted:

What options do I have (that don't cost a lot of money)?

Grab a few 5.25 -> 3.5 drive bay adapters to space your drives out.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

What do you mean by that?

If you're hoping that the parity drives would spin down if there's no write activity, you'll be out of luck. Parity is spread across drives. The parity stripe resides on a different drive each row. For that matter, access time updates happen on reads too, creating writes.

I think he's asking if it will spin down the drives if he goes on vacation for a week and doesn't use the NAS. Mounting with noatime solves the second issue.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Does anyone know of an atom board with GigE and at least 4 Sata ports? I remember hearing about one when the atom first launched, but can't seem to find one. I guess my best bet is waiting for the D945GCLF2 and putting a cheap 2xSata card in it?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Does anyone know if three really is the minimum number of disks in a linux software raid 5 setup? It seems that with two it would just resemble a slow, overly complicated mirroring setup. I ask because NCIX always has a limit of two on most of their hard drive sales and wouldn't mind spreading the cost out.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Thanks. I wanted to end up with a four disk RAID 5 setup wanted to start with the cheapest setup I could. I realize it looks like a crazy question because I always assumed parity was distributed across the disks, not on a dedicated drive.

Is it just me who thinks it's weird that there isn't a widespread standard for distributed parity and multisized volumes? You should be able to throw a 1TB and a 500GB drive in a system and get 500GB of usable space. Throw another 500GB in and it should go to 1 TB.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

ParanoiaComplex posted:

Posting to let people know about another potential home NAS case with hotswap drive bays:

Enlight SR 506.

That case looks great. Please do post your impressions. The Chenbro one is a little too pricey for my blood. The case shouldn't be the most expensive component of a system!

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Uziel posted:

I am looking to build a small NAS for storage and backup of our baby photos, etc.

What I'm looking to do:
Store all of our photos in one location
Store all of our MP3s/home movies in one location
Stream content (some HD) to my Xbox 360
Backup photos and home movies to Mozy via Mozy Client
Very low cost (as cheap as possible)
RAID-1, not needing much storage now (maybe 500gig drive, mirrored)

Any specific suggestions? I don't need it to look like a NAS device, I just want it very very very low cost, and low power if possible. I don't really do torrents, and I'm not sure if I would need gigabit ethernet. I am not particular to AMD or intel but I'd prefer to use Windows unless there is something else equally easy.

The DNS-323 or even the DNS-321 would be fine for your purposes. Both support UPnP sharing and drive mirroring, but the 321 doesn't have a built in torrent client. The 321 is $99 at newegg before drives and is easier than getting another Windows machine to do something similar.

Uh but honestly burn a DVD or two of your baby photos and send them to your parents or best friend or something.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Quick heads up, guys - on the first page it mentions the DLink DNS-323 as a well-known/goon-respected NAS, but Newegg now lists it as discontinued. It looks like the DNS-321 is the new and cheaper replacement, oddly enough. (who hears of model numbers going backwards?)

I bought a DNS-323 2 months ago for my company's network backups, so far so good.

Anyone have any experience with this new DNS-321? Besides one person mentioning it overheating, I haven't seen any mention of it in the past 3 pages.

On the Newegg page, people mention frustration that it only uses *nix ext2 file system. Maybe by default it uses that; but I'd need this for Win7 backups on one drive (obviously NTFS) and time machine backups on the other drive, formatted HSF+. Extremely important feature here.

So if anyone wants to post a mini-review, or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree and provide recommendations; it'd be greatly appreciated.

I have a DNS-321. You can run the 323 hacks still and the only thing I noticed it was missing before I decided it would be fine was a USB port for connecting an external drive.

File system doesn't matter because you're using this thing over the network.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

frogbs posted:

I can drag and drop just fine, its just that I thought RSYNC required me to configure RSYNC on the volume to be backed up, if it doesn't then that is great for me, perhaps I am just misinformed...?

It will treat it like a normal filesystem, but might be very inefficient by default. Play with the options and do small test runs first.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Frinkahedron posted:

If I throw them into a Synology 210j I should still do this, correct?

Check the Synology forums and FAQs. I think they support some "green" drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

what is this posted:

It's mdadm linux software RAID, so mixed model drives should be fine. It's not best practice, but I wouldn't say they can't be done.

I don't know, might actually be a good thing -- they probably won't all fail at the same time.