Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I ordered two of those ebay ML30s and they came today. As others have said, very solid packaging however the one I unboxed first looks like it got t-boned by a garbage truck.

Haven't looked at the other one yet but I'm fairly certain it was like this before it went in the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

That's brutal. Does it POST?

holy poo poo it works

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everyone blamed some glue turning brown, but IIRC that theory was eventually shot down, and it was just assumed that people made a mountain out of a molehill, because the issue looked bigger than it was, due to the model range in question being pretty popular. Once you start digging into reviews of APC units, there's plenty of complaints about these, too. Furthermore, from what I remember on a few teardowns, the newer models of theirs were of similar build quality as the CP ones, and APC/Schneider being just as much of a pain in the rear end in about support regarding defective units.

tl,dr: All consumer units are a poo poo show.

all UPSs are shitshows. We had a problem child 3-rack Eaton 480v unit here that kept causing problems after 4 mfg service visits and they finally gave up, disconnected it from anything and it still lives wedged under the stairs waiting for disposal to this day

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've had no complaints with macrium, the paid 4 pack was worth it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

good morning storage havers, we've got three weeks to scrape Imgur

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290&perpage=40&noseen=1

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

What is the absolute easiest way to backup photos with some redundancy? I don't want to spend a huge amount just to back up family photos, but my current system is very not good: Currently they are just on 1TB drive in the PC, with periodic manual backup to an external drive, which is then stored at a family member's house. Total storage demand currently is 1TB, but obviously likely to go up.

First concern: drive failure during backup - this 1TB drive these photos are on is seriously long in the tooth and I now treat it with caution. Everything needs to come off the drive and onto new storage but I don't know how to do this in the most gentle manner.

Second concern: what do I move to? My preference would be local redundancy to cover disk failure paired with a low cost online storage which would only be used if there was a fire or something managed to wipe all the local.

My current thoughts: off the shelf 2 port PCI RAID card (£60) dropped into the PC with 2x 6TB (2x£150) with cloud cold storage (Glacier? I'm not clear on how to actually accomplish this).

I don't use plex or store any other media to speak of, and I don't really want the upfront or ongoing expense of running a NAS (especially as there is no intention to access the photos remotely).

Clearly anything is better than my current system, but working out what to actually do is very confusing!

replace your external drive with two external drives and also throw everything into backblaze. I would love to use it for the same reason but uploading my photo collection is just unfeasible on my dogshit 25/3 cable internet

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

oof somebody needs to build https://shucks.top for canada

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

What's most likely to successfully read all the data back after being stored in a closet for 30 years? Optical media, external or internal hard disk, or tape?

Just curious, I'm not planning to act on it right now, but given that hard disks seem the cheapest storage, even cheaper than disc now, makes me wonder if they last well sitting unused. I know that flash memory doesn't.

base64 encoded fanfold dot matrix printouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the clicking when it switches over is normal, that's just mechanical relays being a big robot finger mashing a pushbutton, that's how they work. As for why that's happening every ~4 minutes, yeah could be highly sensitive voltage or you have some kind of big motor load starting up and causing a voltage sag. I would suggest pulling up a live log on your phone or laptop or some mobile device and then stand next to your HVAC unit, then your refrigerator, and then any other chest freezers or etc and see if any of those cutting on/off correlates to the UPS switchovers.

e: yeah like 5-10 seconds at a time some compressor motor somewhere in your house almost certainly needs a new starter capacitor

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 6, 2024