Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

I think the D-Link DNS-323 deserves a mention in the OP's NAS section. It's the best value out there for a SOHO NAS, in my opinion.

Out of the box, the DNS-323 provides:

• Space for two 3.5" SATA drives
  • RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD, separate drives
  • Internet Access via FTP
  • UPnP AV for Storing and Streaming Media Files
  • iTunes server
  • Gigabit Ethernet Port
  • USB Print Server Port
  • E-mail alerts

It's small (4.1" x 7.8" x 5.2") and comes in an attractive black and silver aluminum case. I have mine sitting in my entertainment center with my DVD player and receiver and it looks like it belongs there. It's pretty much silent, too, I can only tell it's doing something from watching the LEDs blink on the front.

The best part about this thing though, is modding it.

DNS323 wiki/forums

There's this thing called fun_plug. Just by copying some files to one of the drives and rebooting the unit, you can have:

code:
busybox-1.8.1
    dns323-utils-0.7.176
    uclibc-utils-0.9.28

zlib-1.2.3
    pcre-7.4
    tcp_wrappers-7.6
    strace-4.5.16
    file-4.21
    e2fsprogs-1.40.2

Available add-ons are:

NFS:
    portmap-6.0
    unfs3-0.9.18            (user-space NFS daemon)
    nfs-utils-1.1.0         (kernel NFS daemon, needs kernel support!)

SSH+SFTP:
    dropbear-0.50
    openssh-sftp-4.6p1

HTTP:
    lighttpd-1.4.18

NTP:
    ntp-4.2.4p4

RSYNC:
    rsync-2.6.9

MAYBE THESE TOO: (from the 0.3 release)
    strace-4.5.14
    file-4.21
    php-5.2.3

libpng-1.2.18
    libjpeg-6b
    imagemagick-6.3.4_9
    jhead-2.7

ruby-1.8.6
I haven't tried most of this, but I have set up rsync. Instead of doing RAID 1, I wanted an actual backup solution. So I put a couple 500 GB SATA drives into my unit, and have a cron job set up to rsync the main drive to the backup drive every night. I only just set this up last night so I don't have much to say about it, but rsync is only supposed to copy the changes so the backup should be quite fast from now on. This doesn't give me much rewind capability, but I should be able to set up something to accomplish that.

If you're more experienced with linux, you can also install debian (etch or sarge) onto the DNS-323 and get even more functionality. Since you access it with chroot you keep the existing web interface functionality, and get stuff like AppleTalk/AFP support, better Samba support, encrypted partitions, and pretty much anything you want to compile yourself. The DNS-323 sports a 500 Mhz ARM processor and 64 MB of RAM so it's not a bad little linux box.

If you really want RAID 5 or just room for 4 drives in a single box, the DNS-343 is coming at some point. Most of the information is in German at this point though, it looks like it will be released in Europe first.

Thread about DNS-343

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 19, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

MrMoo posted:

Synology recently added a IP camera surveillance system similar to ZoneMinder, it is unusually license restricted to 5 cameras. Although this might be tied to performance limitations of the hardware, although it easily performs better than ZoneMinder which is designed for direct attached CCTV cameras.

On that topic, when I was looking at hard drives some were advertised as being good for video feeds because they could write multiple data streams. Is that an actual feature, or some sort of marketing thing? Doesn't any drive with multiple platters have multiple read/write heads, and thus the ability to do that?

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

elcapjtk posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I really haven't had much personal expirience with building network storage type things.

I have 10X 160GB PATA hard drives that I want to shove into an array for home use. This won't hold anything really important so redundancy really isn't that big of a deal for me. What I'd prefer is something cheap, what kinda stuff would I be looking for?

10 cheap USB/firewire enclosures is about the best you'll be able to do with that, unless you have an old full tower machine sitting around that can handle 10 drives. A better idea would be to sell those drives for maybe $20 each and put the money towards a single modern SATA drive and enclosure.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

technoarch posted:

great thread!

I skimmed the pages thus far and did not notice this new release from HP... its run on a flavor of linux and looks to be a decent alternative to WHS.

http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/cache/572544-0-0-225-121.html

Any thoughts on this as a decent NAS solution? I was thinking of ripping the 500gb HD out and replaceing w/ two 1tb drives mirrored.

I'd say the DNS-323 is better, although this has twice the RAM and the ability out of the box to run USB-attached drives. The DNS-323 is about $120 cheaper since it doesn't come with any drives, which may be better for you if you're planning on replacing the 500GB drive anyway. It also can act as a print server out of the box, which is pretty nice. The HP may have better included software, the only backup software the D-Link came with was a 30-day trial of something or other.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

technoarch posted:

The thought was to take the 500gb drive and toss it in a USB enclosure and direct connect it to the HP as a 3rd line of defense backup solution for critial files. The other backup solution involves offsite storage. Ive looked at the Dlink unit and that is still an option for me. Thanks for the input.

It's really easy to set up the DNS-323 to do rsync backups of one drive to the other, and you can weave that into an offsite backup solution very easily as well. I believe if you load debian on the DNS-323 you can connect USB drives to it as well, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Check the wiki link in my review.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

boneration posted:

The DNS-323 + fun_plug combinations sounds like exactly what I need for the nonprofit group I volunteer with. They need some way of performing backups automatically and from what I can glean about rsync running on the DNS-323 I can schedule backups using it + some Windows rsync client software.. Is that correct? Also, will running the fun_plug script still allow file sharing on the DNS-323?

The DNS-323 can do backups all on its own, what would you need Windows software for? Also you should check out these threads:

Tutorial: Backup Everything from Vol A to Vol B once a night

DNS-323 Rsync Time Machine!

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

ior posted:

No, I have a VIA EPIA SN 18000G, bought it at https://www.mini-itx.com. And yes, this board also has TPM which can accelerate SHA and AES.

Openssl benchmark (The 'numbers' are in 1000s of bytes per second processed.)
Padlock enabled:
code:
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
aes-128-ecb     120343.76k   438949.82k  1165804.35k  1920796.10k  2353863.99k
Padlock disabled
code:
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
aes-128-ecb      23667.88k    25315.84k    25929.01k    26123.03k    26049.46k

How exactly does a TPM accelerate AES? 1.2-compliant TPMs support SHA-1 and RSA encryption, not AES. I think that's part of the 2.0 spec, but there aren't any TPMs that support that yet are there?

edit: Ah, Padlock is a separate Via chip built for encryption coprocessing.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/downloads/whitepapers/initiatives/padlock/VIAPadLockSecurityEngine.pdf

King Nothing fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 20, 2008

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

sl0hburn posted:

I am currently running a DNS 323 with 2x500gb Seagates. I have it as setup as separate drives because I needed to maximize storage space. What is the fastest way to transfer between the two drives? I have been using FTP (filezilla) but it seemingly blows the data through my router, then computer, then back onto the other drive. Since I am running a 100MB router my speeds are limited to about 10-11 MB/s. It seems there should be a way to directly transfer data within the box and I am just not seeing it. Any help?

You can add the fun_plug module to gain telnet access to the box, then move files using the command prompt. Samba may work too, I've never tried moving files that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Dobermaniac posted:

Has anyone ran one of the 323's under a kill-a-watt? How much power do these things use while idle and under load?

It uses .11 amps when neither drive is in use (so on, but just sitting there doing nothing) and .21 amps when one drive is in use.