Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I need some advice: my harddisks are filling up quite rapidly, and I'll need some extra space pretty soon.

Normally I'd just add a new one, but I'm out of sata ports. The smallest disks I have are 500GB, and I don't want to swap one of those out either.

So what would be the most cost effective option here? I need them primarily for movies and tv shows. I stream those over the network to my PS3 a lot, so they have to be able to keep up with that. I only have one PC, I don't need to be able to share the data with other computers.

As far as I know, I could:
-buy a new motherboard with more sata ports
-some kind of external (directly connected) hard drive, but I have no clue what the best option is here. I have the impression that usb would be way too slow for movies. My pc has a hard time keeping up with video above 720p as it is.
-some kind of nas, but I'm really in the dark here about what's what.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm looking to buy (at least) a pair of extra hard drives to increase my storage. One would go into my PC, the other one into my NAS for backups. They would primarily contain videos and pictures. (All my programs and Steam library and poo poo are on SSDs.)

It looks like 16TB is about the point where you get diminishing returns in the GBs you get for your money, is that correct?

Are there any recommendations for the most reliable brands and/or models? The speed should be reasonable, but as they would just be used to read/write said videos and pictures, and as backup, they don't have to be speed demons either.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm expanding the storage in my Synology 418 and I'm wondering about something:

I had 3 disks of 3TB each, in Raid5.

I replaced each disk with a new 8TB disk, one at a time. I had an empty bay so I used the replace function: insert new disk, tell Synology to replace one of the 3TB disks with the new one, and let it do its thing. Took like 6 hours to copy all the data over, after which it deactivated the old drive. Repeat 3 times and now there are 3 8TB disks. (And a deactivated 3TB one.)

After the last one, it then automatically started expanding the array into the empty space. I expected this to take like 5 seconds because all it should be doing is adding empty space, but it has already been several hours and judging from the progress it will take, I guess, upwards of 10 hours total?

Any idea what the hell it's doing? Why is it taking so long to add a whole lot of emptiness?