Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Unraid it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok so to follow up, afaict IronWolf seems to be the preferred NAS hdd. What’s the difference between the IronWolf and IronWolfPro?

Drive speed depending on the size (5400 vs 7200 rpm), cache size and pro is rated to handle more workload without failures so rated to last longer. You are paying a little more for longevity (supposedly) and faster speeds if you care about that. I think all the newer versions use CMR so you don't have to worry about SMR vs CMR.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Looten Plunder posted:

I need some help. I have a DS418+ Play that I mainly use as a media box. I download something, copy it to the mapped network drive on my NAS, refresh Plex and voila.

For the last couple of weeks, the file transfers to my NAS a painfully slow. Hovering between 300KB/s and just over 1MB/s, just constantly going up and down. I thought it might be the HDD on my PC that is the initial download location dying as it's pretty old and slow, but if I copy it to my SSD or a USB the transfer speeds are fine and the copying from those new locations to the NAS is still painfully slow.

Not only is it slow, there are times where the copying over just fails - popping up with a error 0x8007003b. Which causes Windows Explorer to constantly hang requiring a bunch of restarts. The only fix for this I've found is to delete the files I've downloaded and re-download them before attempting again.

I can still play back media from my NAS just fine once it's on there, so traffic from my NAS doesn't seem to be affected.

My Setup:
Synology DS418+ Play
Everything connected via Cat6 Ethernet
4x 6TB WD Reds

Steps i've taken:
-Restarting the NAS
-Updating DSM and all the packages
-Doing the drive health check thing on all my drives
-Monitoring the NAS via Resource Monitor for any anomolies

I'm not seeing any red flags on my tests and nothing has fixed the problem. Any help is appreciated.

You may want to try chkdsk (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk?tabs=event-viewer) on your PC drive. I know you mentioned it but you did the SMART test on both your PC and NAS? SMART won't find everything but it sounds like you have a bad sector on your PC disk.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

That is supposedly being corrected in the next Unraid release from their teaser so hopefully that goes away.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I've been looking to build/buy a NAS for my apartment and have been weighing my options between both as my storage hard drive on my workstation eeks closer to 100% capacity.

AMD recently (or will soon) release some new APUs, and one perk they have is hardware support of AV1 encoding, so if I ever want to double it as a Plex server it might prove useful.

Anyone have any thoughts on the new APUs and using them for a NAS?

If you can do a cheap GPU, I obtained an Intel ARC A380 for $100 during the black friday sales for my Unraid build and it pretty much smokes everything else on transcoding/encoding (I had a spare 6700xt in it briefly) and even does AV1. AMD seems to be the worst out of the bunch for encoding and you are better off with the Intel or Nvidia stuff.

Baba Oh Really fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

In a datacenter, they're hardly the loudest thing.

This. After working in one, you wouldn't give a poo poo about how loud drives are.