Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Can they not afford to fix their app with the Plex Pass income? What a horrendous workaround.
It's all about the TV clients.

Text-based subtitles work on all supported platforms, but a lot of content instead has image-based subtitles which are not supported by a lot of TV platforms so they have to be burned in to the video stream at the server which is effectively a transcode operation.

Anything sourced from a disc probably has image-based subtitles, anything sourced from TV or streaming probably has text-based subtitles.

Since the TV clients are most of the reason to choose Plex over alternatives, and the TV companies have no real incentive to deliver any more capability than whatever Netflix, D+, etc. demand, I don't think there's a lot they could do there.

What does annoy me is that they offer a feature to pre-transcode for lower streaming qualities, but no similar option for subtitle injection. It wouldn't be nearly as big of an annoyance if I could configure my Plex server to automatically process the movies ahead of time instead of starting to watch a movie and then having it start stumbling when someone speaks a foreign language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wild EEPROM posted:

well here are a number of reasons why it sucks

- no more freebsd jails
- can't carry forward your old jails, you have to rebuild everything
- a decade+ of documentation
With you up to here, but...

quote:

- usual linux vs bsd hardware support
How often is FreeBSD better at hardware support than Linux? AFAIK a lot of FreeBSD's growth in hardware support over the last few years has been from compatibility layers allowing the use of certain Linux drivers rather than official support from either the FreeBSD project or the hardware vendor.