Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digitally Mastered
Jul 18, 2006
For Superior Picture and Sound
I am currently looking for some network storage and my search has mostly been coming up empty. My company runs VMWare Server and we currently store the virtual hard disks on the local disks of the virtualization servers. This makes migrating a VM from one server to another difficult and slow, so we would like to get a NAS/SAN box so we can store all of the files centrally.

Basically all I am finding are cheaper/low performance boxes (i.e. ReadyNAS and the like) or enterprise grade SANs/filers that cost an arm and a leg.
The few storage servers I have found in between these 2 extremes run Windows Storage Server which I would like to stay away from since I run a purely linux environment. Also, I am looking for a commercial product with support so that rules out DIY.

So I need about 2-3TB starting and need to be able to scale to as much as 5-8TB in the future. I need to be able to get decent throughput, even when a dozen or so VMs are hitting it at the same time. I have been looking for NAS over NFS but would not be opposed to iSCSI (probably with a software initiator to avoid special hardware). I would however like to avoid extra cabling, which rules out FC or external SCSI/SAS. Budget is around $5000, but I could flex some in either direction if needed.

If anyone could please point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

PS. Does anyone have experience with CoRAID.com or with the AoE protocol? It looks interesting and may suit our needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digitally Mastered
Jul 18, 2006
For Superior Picture and Sound

LoKout posted:

Enterprise NAS stuff is a little out of the scope of this thread, but to point you at something, we use NetApp (http://www.netapp.com/us/) storage at my work.

This is not something you want to implement on a roll-your-own box. Their boxes can do SAN/iSCSI/NFS and other solutions all on one device. The beauty is that they're easy to expand so if your company is forward-looking you can upgrade instead of replacing hardware. They also have cool features like auto backups, snapshots and a bunch of other stuff that I don't know too much about.

I've looked at NetApp, but most of what they provided is way above my budget. Do you think they are worth the cost? Have you had good success with the equipment?

Also, Sorry if this is out of the scope of this thread.