Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Are there any benefits to using MDB2, assuming I'm already using mysqli prepared statements, won't be switching away from mySQL, and I'm not already using PEAR?

If you're already using prepared statements, then probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lumpy posted:

If you are using PHP5, and your HTML is valid XML (which it might (probably?) not be) you can do it easily like so:

php:
<?
$xml = simplexml_load_file('myHTML.html');
echo $xml->h1;
?>
(Assuming there is only one H1 tag, otherwise $xml->h1 would return an array that you can loop over or just do $xml->h1[0] for the first, etc.)

Otherwise check out the DOM and XML methods in the manual, they are pretty self explanatory.

Ah! I tried to use the DOM functions but it was barfing all over the html. This simplexml thing seems a lot more. . . simple.

edit: Well simplexml is not liking it either, even after running it through tidy. I think the html is just too big of a mess.

I am trying to use preg_match("/<h1>(.*?)<\/h1>/s",$string,$h1); now but I get an error about the regex string: Unknown modifier 'h'

edit2: haha, there was a slash in there that you can only see when quoting. It works now!

other people fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 22, 2008

Jewish Bear
Jul 28, 2007

Standish posted:

You also can't do
php:
<?
empty(someFunctionThatReturnsAString())?>
which bit me earlier today.

just do (functionthatreturns() == "")

see:
php:
<?php
function what($return)
{
    switch( $return )
    {
        case "boolean":
            return true;
            break;

case "string":
            return "string";
            break;

case "integer":
            return 1;
            break;

case "array":
            return array("hello""goodbye");
            break;

case "nothing":
            return;
            break;
    }
}
if( what("boolean") == "" )
{
    echo("what(bool) = nothing<br />");
}
if( what("string") == "" )
{
    echo("what(string) = nothing<br />");
}
if( what("integer") == "" )
{
    echo("what(int) = nothing<br />");
}
if( what("array") == "" )
{
    echo("what(array) = nothing");
}
if( what("nothing") == "" )
{
    echo("what(nothing) = nothing");
}
?>

returns:

what(nothing) = nothing

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

Just wanted you to know your dinner's cold and the children all agree you're a shitheel!

LOL AND OATES posted:

yikes

Careful there. There is no such type in PHP as 'nothing', that use of return with no value actually returns NULL, and NULL, 0, and false are all equal to "".

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Mashi posted:

Careful there. There is no such type in PHP as 'nothing', that use of return with no value actually returns NULL, and NULL, 0, and false are all equal to "".
Which is why you should always use type comparison unless you don't care.

Jewish Bear
Jul 28, 2007

Mashi posted:

Oh yeah I know I was just being lazy.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
I've just playing with CodeIgniter and have already ran into a problem. I'm trying to load a model from my controller and I'm getting this error:

code:
Fatal error: Class 'Test_model' not found in /nfsn/content/garythellama/public/system/libraries/Loader.php on line 177
It shouldn't even be looking in the system/libraries/Loader.php file, right?

My controllers are in the application/controllers folder.
The views are in the application/views folder.
And the models are in the application/models folder.

Any idea what's going wrong or why it's looking for Test_model in the Loader.php file?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Gary the Llama posted:

I've just playing with CodeIgniter and have already ran into a problem. I'm trying to load a model from my controller and I'm getting this error:

code:
!!table breaking error!!

Any idea what's going wrong or why it's looking for Test_model in the Loader.php file?
It's not, that's where the error occured.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Alright I am a total newb at PHP and coding, and frankly I can't wrap my head around it. But I'm having a problem:

code:
<?php
$ipLog='ipLogFile.txt'; // logfile name 
$timeout='1'; // How many hours to block IP
$goHere='banned.html'; // Allowed pages

function recordData($REMOTE_ADDR,$ipLog,$goHere)
{ 
    $log=fopen("$ipLog", "a+"); 
    fputs ($log,$REMOTE_ADDR."][".time()."\n"); 
    fclose($log); 

} 
function checkLog($REMOTE_ADDR,$ipLog,$timeout) 
{
    global $valid; $ip=$REMOTE_ADDR;
    $data=file("$ipLog"); $now=time();

foreach ($data as $record) 
    {
        $subdata=explode("][",$record);
        if ($now < ($subdata[1]+3600*$timeout) && $ip == $subdata[0]) 
        {
            $valid=0; Header("Location: banned.html"); exit(0);
            break;
        }
    }
} 
checkLog($REMOTE_ADDR,$ipLog,$timeout);
if ($valid!="0") recordData($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'],$ipLog,$goHere); 
?>
I want to have this script record the user's IP address and a timestamp on page load, then block access to said page until an hour later.

This correctly keeps the log, but it won't block the user out.

What am I doing wrong?

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

Treytor posted:

Alright I am a total newb at PHP and coding, and frankly I can't wrap my head around it. But I'm having a problem:
The function call:
php:
<?
checkLog($REMOTE_ADDR,$ipLog,$timeout);?>
should be:
php:
<?
checkLog($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'],$ipLog,$timeout);?>

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Wow, that was easy. Thank you sir!

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Treytor posted:

Be aware that this is a very inefficient way to do this, and it would be better to use a database.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Okay, now how would I display inline the amount of time remaining per IP?

For example, taking the ip log recorded from above and in a new page I would have:

code:
<b> You have *PHP here to show time remaining for this IP* minutes left until you can try again</b>

Treytor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 25, 2008

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Treytor posted:

Haha, no problem.

Mistakes like that tend to be extra difficult to catch when starting out. Unsureness leads to checking the logic of your code 30 times over before realizing that it was just a stupid typo.

Scaevolus posted:

Be aware that this is a very inefficient way to do this, and it would be better to use a database.

I'm assuming he's just trying to learn how to program or something, not implement this (I hope).

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

admiraldennis posted:

I'm assuming he's just trying to learn how to program or something, not implement this (I hope).

Well... I am looking to implement this. I realize a sql database would be much better, but that is WAY beyond me at the moment. One step at a time here...

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

PHP noob alert! Oh god please don't rape me in the rear end :(

The script I'm using for news posting is designed so the comments for each news item are displayed with links like "/news/comments.php?action=list&newsid=1" but I'd like to have the comments displayed below each post, rather than on a separate page. There doesn't seem to be a variable to do this with the templates, so how can I accomplish it? The script is available for download at http://www.utopiasoftware.net/newspro/dl.php?filename=newspro140b.zip&mirror=1

Perhaps there's a better script I should use instead? I don't need a cms script though, just a way to include blog posts on an otherwise static website.

cka
May 3, 2004

Treytor posted:

Okay, now how would I display inline the amount of time remaining per IP?

For example, taking the ip log recorded from above and in a new page I would have:

code:
<b> You have *PHP here to show time remaining for this IP* minutes left until you can try again</b>

The simplest way would be to record both the current time and the time + 3600 seconds in your log file, and change banned.html to banned.php (and/or just incorporate your banned notice in that php script itself... subtract 1-hour-in-the-future time from current time, divide by 60 and ceil() the result to have your remaining minutes.) Another simple way would be to record the time information in the users' cookies via setcookie() and bang out some javascript that does it client-side, although that can be pretty easily side stepped.

I gotta say though, using a SQL database (even if your table is of poor design, though it probably wouldn't effect it speed-wise for something like this) really would be leagues better than this file i/o and array madness you've got going here.

Also, I'm not too sure if it would matter or if it's just the OCD freak in me, but your math could use a quick fix here:

should be

if ($now < ($subdata[1]+(3600*$timeout)) && ($ip == $subdata[0]))

in my mind, the first equation would be a loving huge number if your timeout was 2 hours because it would basically multiply the time + 1 hour by two...

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

cka posted:

Also, I'm not too sure if it would matter or if it's just the OCD freak in me, but your math could use a quick fix here:

should be

in my mind, the first equation would be a loving huge number if your timeout was 2 hours because it would basically multiply the time + 1 hour by two...

Well then apparently your mind doesn't follow simple PEMDAS (and it really, really should if you're working with programming languages).

I like the first version much better personally; it's not cluttered with extraneous parentheses.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Mar 25, 2008

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

cka posted:

should be

They're equal in practice because the multiplication is performed before the addition.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

DaTroof posted:

They're equal in practice because the multiplication is performed before the addition.

They're equal. End of story.

($now < ($subdata[1]+3600*$timeout) && $ip == $subdata[0]) is in no way ambiguous.

cka
May 3, 2004

admiraldennis posted:

Well then apparently your mind doesn't follow simple PEMDAS (and it really, really should if you're working with programming languages).

I like the first version much better personally; it's not cluttered with extraneous parentheses.

Just my OCD then, no harm no foul. Also, just FYI, I actually was following BEDMAS (same thing as PEMDAS, evidently) with those extraneous brackets around the 3600 * $timeout.

edit: well then

cka fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 25, 2008

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

cka posted:

Just my OCD then, no harm no foul. Also, just FYI, I actually was following BEDMAS (same thing as PEMDAS, evidently) with those extraneous brackets around the 3600 * $timeout.
I was talking about this:

cka posted:

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the visual
The inspiration

Treytor posted:

Well... I am looking to implement this. I realize a sql database would be much better, but that is WAY beyond me at the moment. One step at a time here...

You sound like you're in a little bit over your head here.

Let me guess, this is for that "prank call people from the internet" thing? I think I recognize you.

If so, you should probably consider paying somebody to do the code correctly for you instead of asking a bunch of questions here just so you can use some crappy file database that's going to choke to death if your site ever gets a lot of traffic.

admiraldennis fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 25, 2008

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

admiraldennis posted:

You sound like you're in a little bit over your head here.

Let me guess, this is for that "prank call people from the internet" thing? I think I recognize you.

If so, you should probably consider paying somebody to do the code correctly for you instead of asking a bunch of questions here just so you can use some crappy file database that's going to choke to death if your site ever gets a lot of traffic.

Yeah, you're right. The problem is I don't have any resources to hire anyone, and I'm also fairly interested in learning a bit about this stuff. If this site proves a worthy venture, then I'll look into more appropriate options down the road.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gary the Llama posted:

code:
Fatal error: Class 'Test_model' not found in 
/nfsn/content/garythellama/public/system/libraries/Loader.php on line 177

The Loader.php file contains the code that is run when you do $this->load->whatever() so that is why it's showing you the error there. My guess is that there is an error in your Model that is keeping it form being run as a class.

Replace your code with this:
php:
<?
class Test_model extends Model {

function Test_model() {
        parent::Model();
    }
}
?>
And see if it still errors. If so, you may not have configured CI correctly.

iamstinky
Feb 4, 2004

This is not as easy as it looks.

gi- posted:

So I just upgraded my hosting environment. Went from PHP4 to PHP5 and getting this error 'Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource'

for this piece of code:

$rs = mysql_query($query);
if (mysql_num_rows($rs)>0)

PHP.net posted:

For SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE, EXPLAIN and other statements returning resultset, mysql_query() returns a resource on success, or FALSE on error.

For other type of SQL statements, UPDATE, DELETE, DROP, etc, mysql_query() returns TRUE on success or FALSE on error.

The returned result resource should be passed to mysql_fetch_array(), and other functions for dealing with result tables, to access the returned data.

Use mysql_num_rows() to find out how many rows were returned for a SELECT statement or mysql_affected_rows() to find out how many rows were affected by a DELETE, INSERT, REPLACE, or UPDATE statement.

mysql_query() will also fail and return FALSE if the user does not have permission to access the table(s) referenced by the query.
var_dump($rs) when you get the error and see what it actually says. Presumably other pieces of code that do mysql work? Or is the only db connection you have?

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD
Is there a fancy one line PHP trick that could replace this foreach loop?

code:
$b = array( 'dookie', 'poop', 'gook', 'poon' );
$password = //randomly generated phoenetic password

foreach ( $b as $word )
{
	  if ( strpos( $password, $word ) !== false )
	  	  $password = //try again from scratch...
}

Foolio882
Jun 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Dear god somebody please help!

php:
<?php
echo "test";
$im createfromjpeg('../images/test.jpg');

if (!$im) 
{
    die ('Unable to open image');
}

echo "Image Opened";
?>
Outputs...

test
Fatal error:Call to undefined function createfromjpeg() at line whatever

GD Version 2.0.34 is installed, with jpeg support.

Anyone have any ideas? Once I get this poo poo worked out I can actually start this project :mad:

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Foolio882 posted:

Dear god somebody please help!

php:
<?php
echo "test";
$im createfromjpeg('../images/test.jpg');

if (!$im) 
{
    die ('Unable to open image');
}

echo "Image Opened";
?>
Outputs...

test
Fatal error:Call to undefined function createfromjpeg() at line whatever

GD Version 2.0.34 is installed, with jpeg support.

Anyone have any ideas? Once I get this poo poo worked out I can actually start this project :mad:

imagecreatefromjpeg()?

Foolio882
Jun 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
Hey, whatdya know, I'm an idiot.

Thanks! :downs:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Daddy Fantastic posted:

Is there a fancy one line PHP trick that could replace this foreach loop?

code:
$b = array( 'dookie', 'poop', 'gook', 'poon' );
$password = //randomly generated phoenetic password

foreach ( $b as $word )
{
	  if ( strpos( $password, $word ) !== false )
	  	  $password = //try again from scratch...
}

php:
<?
if (in_array($password, $b))
{
  // whatever
}
?>

Daddy Fantastic
Jun 22, 2002

For the glory of FYAD

duz posted:

php:
<?
if (in_array($password, $b))
{
  // whatever
}
?>
I'm not sure that will work though, since $password could be any length-- in other words, I'd like it to match words that include the banned words, but may contain other letters (like dookieq).

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Daddy Fantastic posted:

I'm not sure that will work though, since $password could be any length-- in other words, I'd like it to match words that include the banned words, but may contain other letters (like dookieq).

In that case no, the only other way I can think to do it would be to use a callback function with something like array_filter but that would take about the same amount of lines.
Edit: Or you could collapse the array to a single string but that could introduce false positives.

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

OlSpazzy posted:

PHP noob alert! Oh god please don't rape me in the rear end :(

The script I'm using for news posting is designed so the comments for each news item are displayed with links like "/news/comments.php?action=list&newsid=1" but I'd like to have the comments displayed below each post, rather than on a separate page. There doesn't seem to be a variable to do this with the templates, so how can I accomplish it? The script is available for download at http://www.utopiasoftware.net/newspro/dl.php?filename=newspro140b.zip&mirror=1

Perhaps there's a better script I should use instead? I don't need a cms script though, just a way to include blog posts on an otherwise static website.

Ok well I hacked parted of the news.php script to include sections from comments.php relevant to listing comments. I'm using the $comments_list_commentbit variable in the news_newsbit_commentslink template, but I'm only getting one comment out of 5 in the database showing up, and it's showing on the wrong newsid. Any ideas?

php:
<?
if ($action == '')
{
    define('ISPRINTABLEPAGE', false);
    define('WILLTRUNCATE', true);
    define('ISRSS', false);
    $templatesused = 'news_newsbit,news_newsbit_commentslink,news_avatarbit,news_newsbit_readmorelink,comments_list_commentbit';
    unp_cacheTemplates($templatesused);
    $getnews = $DB->query("SELECT * FROM `unp_news` ORDER BY `date` DESC LIMIT $newslimit");
    while ($news = $DB->fetch_array($getnews))
    {
        $catid = $news['catid'];
        $category = $categorycache["$catid"];
        $newsid = $news['newsid'];
        $subject = $news['subject'];
        $newstext = $news['news'];
        $poster = $news['poster'];
        $posterid = $news['posterid'];
        $date = $news['date'];
        $postdate = unp_date($dateformat, $date);
        $posttime = unp_date($timeformat, $date);
        $avatar = unp_checkAvatar($posterid);
        if (!$avatar)
        {
            $useravatar = '';
        }
        else
        {
            eval('$useravatar = "'.unp_printTemplate('news_avatarbit').'";');
        }
        if ($commentsallowance == '1')
        {
            $comments = $news['comments'];
            eval('$commentsinfo = "'.unp_printTemplate('news_newsbit_commentslink').'";');
        }
        else
        {
            $commentsinfo = '&nbsp;';
        }
        $comments = $news['comments'];
        //$newstext = $n->unp_doNewsTrim($newstext); // Move to unp_doNewsFormat
        $newstext = $n->unp_doNewsFormat($newstext);
        $subject = $n->unp_doSubjectFormat($subject);
        // NewsBit
        eval('$news_newsbit = "'.unp_printTemplate('news_newsbit').'";');
        unp_echoTemplate($news_newsbit);
        // NewsBit
        echo "\n\n";
        $getcomments = $DB->query("SELECT * FROM `unp_comments` WHERE newsid='$newsid'");
            if ($DB->num_rows($getcomments) > 0)
            {
                while ($comments = $DB->fetch_array($getcomments))
                {
                    // grab and fix up comments
                    $c_id = $comments['id'];
                    $c_title = htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($comments['title']));
                    $c_name = htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($comments['name']));
                    $c_email = htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($comments['email']));
                    $c_date = unp_date($dateformat, $comments['date']);
                    $c_time = unp_date($timeformat, $comments['date']);
                    $c_text = nl2br(htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($comments['comments'])));
                    $c_ipaddress = $comments['ipaddress'];
                    $c_proxy = $comments['proxy'];
                    $c_text = $n->unp_doSmilies($c_text);        
                    eval('$comments_list_commentbit = "'.unp_printTemplate('comments_list_commentbit').'";');
                }
            }
            else
            {
                $comments_list_commentbit = '';
            }
    }
    unset($news);
}
?>

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Here's a time saving tip that can obviously be applied anywhere, but I first started using it with PHP's website. If you use Firefox then navigate over to php.net, right click on the search box and add a keyword of 'php' to the search. Now whenever you need to look up a function hit Ctrl+L (or otherwise get the focus on the address bar), type 'php <<function name>>' and there you are. It also works great if you don't remember the exact name but can come close, which is how I found imagecreatefromjpeg() from createfromjpeg().

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

SmirkingJack posted:

Here's a time saving tip that can obviously be applied anywhere, but I first started using it with PHP's website. If you use Firefox then navigate over to php.net, right click on the search box and add a keyword of 'php' to the search. Now whenever you need to look up a function hit Ctrl+L (or otherwise get the focus on the address bar), type 'php <<function name>>' and there you are. It also works great if you don't remember the exact name but can come close, which is how I found imagecreatefromjpeg() from createfromjpeg().

Another way to do it in Firefox is to go to Bookmarks > Organize bookmarks. Click 'New Bookmark', set the name you want, and paste the URL of a search query in there. replace the query words by '%s'. So 'http://ca3.php.net/manual-lookup.php?pattern=myfunction' --> 'http://ca3.php.net/manual-lookup.php?pattern=%s'. Then add the keyword you want to type in. The advantage is minimal, but in search engines like google you can specify the language (hl=en,fr, etc) or some other parameters that way.

Opera works in a similar manner. Go to Tools > Preferences (ctrl+F12), press the 'search' tab. You can edit those that are there or enter new ones the same way firefox does (%s).

Sorry for the derail.

elevatordeadline
Jan 29, 2008
You can also just go to http://php.net/function_name to search for function_name.

quote:

Sorry, but the function function_name is not in the online manual. Perhaps you misspelled it, or it is a relatively new function that hasn't made it into the online documentation yet. The following are the 20 functions which seem to be closest in spelling to function_name (really good matches are in bold). Perhaps you were looking for one of these:

iamstinky
Feb 4, 2004

This is not as easy as it looks.
Or download the php function look up extension for PHP here : http://www.folta.info/blog/

Tap
Apr 12, 2003

Note to self: Do not shove foreign objects in mouth.
I've recently taken up PHP as my language of choice for learning how to program.

I now have a simple question regarding naming conventions in PHP.

When a variable or function is declared with a single underscore as the first character (i.e. $_foo or $_fake_function()), what exactly does this tell me as a programmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Standish
May 21, 2001

Tap posted:

When a variable or function is declared with a single underscore as the first character (i.e. $_foo or $_fake_function()), what exactly does this tell me as a programmer?
It has no set meaning, but it's often used to denote an class member or an internal function i.e. anything that shouldn't be directly used except by the original author of the code.