Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007

Sewer Adventure posted:

Either way, not using an ORM is just making more work for yourself.

How do these ORMs work on master-slave setups? We need to get a new version of our site up quick, and ORMs enable us to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007

fletcher posted:

Is it better to let the database (mysql) handle timezone conversions by setting the session timezone than to do it in PHP?

I believe there is some stupidity in PHP using timezones if you are naive about it. You must use a putenv statement to only do it in the script you are currently running, else it affects all threads executing.

MySQL only supports a single timezone - UTC?

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007

sonic bed head posted:

I have an image that was created from imagecreatefromjpeg() in a php script. I have PHPMailer up and running but I can't figure out how to send the image as an attachment without first writing the file to disk. Is it possible to send it without it being a file? I can't seem to find any real good documentation for phpmailer and I also don't really know how encoding attachments works so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PHPMailer is defunct. SwiftMailer is the way to go.

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007
I suggest using bcrypt instead of devising your own salt method.

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007
PHPLinq can do that - http://www.codeplex.com/PHPLinq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Flaming Chicken
Feb 4, 2007
Interesting comments here. From my perspective and what I've had to deal with in the past from penetration tests:

* You certainly need to be on the look-out for broken UTF-8 sequences. Things like %C2 (or was it %A3; whatever a GBP sign is) will screw with htmlspecialchars whatever encoding options you set. The iconv function that is run against all input is a good way to cope.
* Some functions do act funny with arrays being passed unless you explicitly cast. Even with the patch that allows primitive type checks in PHP, it will act weird. Always check/cast.
* Hilarity also ensues when you allow the PHP session cookie value to be changed. Use FireCookie on almost any PHP site and stick a random character in the middle of it and you'll cause some kind of error; very few check that the PHPSESSID value is 'valid' before calling session_start. Valid also differs between machines depending on the hash settings in php.ini (much fun debugging that one)!