Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
What's the best and easiest way to parse an RSS feed? I don't want to do anything advanced, just add a weather feature to the side of my web application that downloads its information from an Aussie weather site. (It's necessary for the kind of work that we do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Can someone give me a rundown on state machines and any reputable libraries? For something simple like a support ticket being opened, moving to a different status level, and closing, etc.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm in perpetual PHP5 refactor hell and I don't see the end in sight.

I'm so, so tired.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm trying to get up to speed on modern PHP since I haven't touched it in 15 years and probably would have made these same mistakes back then too.

I think laravel is probably going to be the quickest way to migrate and rewrite this trash fire, but I'm not sure how to put the old site behind the laravel authentication.

The old app is exactly what you'd expect. Include with a check login against php session.
I've been replacing the old db connections to pdo.. discovered that moving to MySQL 8 broke some hard coded queries that aren't compatible.
Oh yeah global variables too.

It isn't worth any more headaches to keep trying to fiddle with it.

I want to give the users a laravel login, find a way to also link it to their old authentication, and then tackle each page at a time.
I also want to refactor the old database tables into a new schema. I started making views to query instead, which renamed the columns to something more consistent.

And ultimately drop the old mysql when it's all in a framework and maintainable.

Any advice would be welcome. I've had a week of sleepless nights on this and I'm second guessing a lot of the little changes I've made.

EDIT: forgot to mention the best part. It's nearly impossible to build a local dev environment because it's all linked up to dozens of undocumented shell scripts that send data over serial cables on premises to old hardware in a factory. In unpredictable ways it will just fail if it can't receive data from them.

I didn't want to test in prod so I've got a virtualhost set up... on prod, but I feel like all I can do now is continue contributing bad decisions to this.

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 4, 2022

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Other than 443 https exposed to the world I'm not seeing any real security problems.
The shell scripts are running and parsing responses from some very old manufacturing equipment and obtuse old devices but this is the least of my issues with it.

I'll eventually rewrite it when I can document what is going on and why the webserver is even involved in something that should be cronjobs but I'm looking into the Chernobyl reactor core over here.

It's really just the PHP I'm trying to sort out.
I haven't slept for a couple of days dealing with this whole company and operation I've reluctantly inherited. I.e. I'm management and not spending any money on tech debt. Just the will to live

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Is Laravel Livewire worth looking at? I tried a few demo apps hosted remotely and performance didn't seem great on a simple toggle switch