Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Ive been working for three months now in my first stable, solid developer job and its basically great.

The only downside is in this particular app we are locked into a legacy PHP framework, Symfony 1.x to be exact paired w/ PHP 5.6

When I started I didnt know any PHP and I guess I know a bit now. But Im starting to feel a little anxious like I should be starting to branch out/ become a little more familiar with something more up to date.

I know there is like, this incredibly massive repository of information called the internet we are using, but Im also very persuadable and influenceable by a really existing human , so if someone has any suggestions on something fun/ can relate to moving up from working a legacy framework like this I am all ears to be impressed upon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Tad Naff posted:

Well drat we were just hiring, and we're in the process of updating about 50 or so PHP apps to 7 from 5.2 - 5.6. Granted very few of them are made with any sort of framework, and those that are tend to be written with an in-house framework called "Framework"...

Question: when did kids stop learning PHP? It used to be that was the one web language we could count on applicants to at least have run across, which is why we standardized on it.

When I went through a bootcamp (be gentle :E) basically the message was that JavaScript is eating the world and the insinuation was that PHP and a boatload of other stuff was 'not cool' or not modern- it wasn't taught at any rate. Someone linked me the "PHP is a fractal of bad design" blog at some point along the way also I remember as part of the same kind of culture- PHP definitely still has its problems but that blog is also pretty old now/ its been a few versions and advances with things like composer since.

It was when I was like 5 months post course, doing some contract work and stuff in the hard rocks of job hunting life that made me question I guess a lot of my newb/'trendseeking' thoughts in general. I found out for example that major applications like Slack were made with PHP and read some posts about that, met/learned of some active PHP speakers/developers on twitter basically and later learned about the huge amount of PHP questions being asked/answered on Stack Overflow as a gauge of its continued prevalence.

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

Ok. All ears for any tips on where to start on something. Im ready to do my own work but just lacking any kind of direction to go in right now.

Ive been assigned a ticket at work that basically was framed as follows: Estimate the number of hardcoded strings in the app. This is for the purpose of getting some kind of estimates for how much work will be involved i18n-wise to internationalizing the app/ translate it.

The thing is, its a PHP Symfony 1.x based project where there are strings all over all place in HTML and Echo'd from PHP and put in place by JavaScript. Its not a straightforward thing.

Ive explained this to the project lead that the idea of hard-coded string is a bit misleading/not applicable but the response was basically "thanks for your research- go with what you can to get the best estimate possible".

So throwing a pebble out there and wondering if anyone has had any experience doing this kind of thing on a relatively legacy PHP project

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

McGlockenshire posted:

What is their definition of a "hardcoded string"?

Why is this being asked for?

e: There is no definition given.

Its for the purpose of estimating how much content is user facing that will need to be translated. In some apps like Java I imagine there is a clear distinction between whats a hardcoded string or not, so you could do some stuff with an IDE or commands to estimate how many such strings exist.

Im guessing that my boss has read some stuff about getting translation work done and it said the first step is to estimate the strings in the app somewhere.

I think I am going to have to pushback and explain again that what I am being asked A) isn't clear b) Is very hard to do with how unclear it is

Murrah fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 30, 2017

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

E: NVM, forgot there is an entire wordpress thread

Murrah fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

In case you hadn't seen it just as a side note, Repl.it is a great website/resource that allows you launch a REPL in many languages including PHP if you want to try something out quickly