Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Is Propel better than Doctrine? (I'm currently shopping around for ORMs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

fletcher posted:

I don't really understand what that helps with. Isn't it more beneficial to just learn/practice SQL?

If you use raw SQL then you will have to escape strings every time you input them and then remember to stripslashes every time you output them, you will have to build big rear end queries by concating strings and it eventually gets very ugly. If you use an ORM you can treat individual records as instances of an object and it's very pretty, all the escaping bullshit is managed for you (you will be much better protected from injection), and you can change the database schema with a migration and have all your code handle the change automatically (without having to do a big search replace of your entire codebase).

, etc.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

fletcher posted:

That's not true at all. I used PDO and didn't use a single string concatenation for SQL or have to worry about escaping ANY input throughout my entire application. Don't use addslashes, stripslashes, magic quotes, concatenation, or any of that other crap, that's the wrong way to do it.

Sewer Adventure posted:

If you use raw SQL

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
Either way, not using an ORM is just making more work for yourself.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Jahuran posted:

flat files

Use a database, we just had this nonsense on the last page. Also use something like memcached to speed up the database stuff.