Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I'm writing another small PHP script to amuse myself, and this time I'd like to move away from having SQL sitting in my code. Are there any articles on how to go about this? I'm not looking for a full blown framework as that's just overkill for this but a simple DB class or something would be nice.

Frameworks are a few projects down the track...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

fletcher posted:

I don't really understand what that helps with. Isn't it more beneficial to just learn/practice SQL?

I already know SQL. I'd like to move away from having SQL statements littered all throughout my projects where it's hard coded in. Which leads to maintaining multiple versions because my home system runs MySQL and my sever runs PostgreSQL and for added fun a friend uses my scripts and he's got Oracle.

So, it's getting to the point where I need database abstraction.

I'll have a look at this ORM stuff.