Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Rubellavator posted:

Me: why is this test failing now? None of the test code or source code changed!

Me 6 months prior: let's test this function with today's date and a date in the future like say 6 months from now

This but literally 10 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Next time you're in traffic court try to convince the judge he's presiding over an admiralty court on account of the fringes on the US flag in the room and therefore has no authority over you.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Sometimes i want to make a thread where we record ourselves saying computer terms that we've only ever said in our head.

Nih-Gin-Ix
hard G

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Nude posted:

Is it too much to ask what's so horrific bout blockchain? Apologies in advance if so.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/replace-blockchain-with-s/johdgapbhomlhcflancninpeafocpopn?hl=en-US&gl=US

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

poemdexter posted:

My coworker has an immutability stick shoved so far up his rear end that in order to change a field on any object, a new object needs to be created first. I blame lombok for allowing him to do this with annotations instead of having to manually write out all this bullshit code. Let me tell you how fun it is to debug code when you can't watch anything.

Sounds like you're getting the worst of both worlds. Having no mutable state in your application is extremely cool and good and makes debugging a breeze.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Jazerus posted:

one day he'll destroy it all and every node program on the planet will collapse simultaneously

That already happened

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've had to learn Spring recently and a lot of it boils down to "oh just add the @Magic annotation that you have to just know about." I was having compilation issues when I realized that the framework is so opinionated that it matters what you name things.

We're not even building anything complicated, just dumb REST apps.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Xarn posted:

Magic comments are literally lovely magic. Go has never found lovely idea it didn't like, so of course it is full of them.

Go code:
//go:build exclude
This tells go to exclude this file from build. I sure hope you won't typo something, like say, add a space somewhere it should go.

Same for magic function names.

Go code:
func TestThisIsATest(t *testing.T) {}
func TestthisIsNotATest(t *testing.T) {}
func TesTthisIsNotATestEitherAHAHAHAHAHAHAFUCKYOU(t *testing.T) {}

My favorite golang lovely idea is the magic date you use for date formatting. They could have used an unambiguous date like December 31st, but because it was created by techbros who can't see past their own nose you have to remember whether it's January 2nd or February 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Default parameters in Python might qualify? It's more "surprising" than "magical," but it trips people up.