Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

all numbers are imaginary imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, there's a size limit where "disgruntled/incompetent employee burns everything down" is sufficiently unlikely to not warrant lots of effort on finely grained internal controls.

It's frankly a security nightmare that I have the admin keys to my home personal projects

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just refer to any frontend framework as "the jQuery"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

wolfman101 posted:

Yes, I think my awful app is posting to wrong threads

luckily that does belong here

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I'm honestly impressed the Aboriginals were even doing templating back when their language was developing

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

wastewater treatment to software dev

but you repeat yourself

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

leper khan posted:

I wiped all user inventories in live for an MMO on my first day in my first job in games.

you didn't work for wanadoo by any chance did you? i remember people's DAOC inventories vanishing and them basically having to go "uh, could you tell us what items you had and please be honest?"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Beef posted:

Now I'm wondering if there are games out there that simulate a player going through the game.

the players are the unit tests

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I like the idea that some stoner somewhere has an inventory full of red mushrooms and no idea why

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

10 minutes with the project I'm working on and it's ag-grid implementation and I'm starting to wish it was just pure html tables. We're page loads really that bad?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

code:
public dynamic function(dynamic data) {
    int id = (int)(data.id);

return some_string;
}
Stuff like this is everywhere in the codebase I'm reviewing for the job I just started.

one day that function might need to check another data attribute and you're going to look sooooooo stupid adding it in

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I would have used urllib

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

maybe copilot said "no human should write this from scratch" and they misread it

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Soricidus posted:

Put it this way … if you’re writing python today, most likely you’re writing it either in vscode (electron) or pycharm (java).

I think the desktop apps I use regularly (ignoring the browser itself and stuff built into the os) are a pretty even split between electron, java, and native qt. I don’t think any of them are written in python.

pycharm is written in java because jetbrains was written in java, if all you're doing is interfacing with qt then why does it matter what language it's written in?

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

this is why python2 was superior

Python code:
>>> True=99999    # Large number that we wont ever use
>>> print({1: "foo", True: "bar"})