Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Taken from Perl which also has the inverse:
code:
something unless $flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

All you have to do is look at the console on Chrome home page to see what a cluster gently caress things are. That page always has warnings or errors of some variety.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks more like standard Sun Workshop Pro licensing mechanism. Although more efficient as you can upgrade the license without listening to hours of sales pitch beforehand.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

CEF is a particular software library, it’s not Electron, and it’s not Blink inside Qt5/6. They all have the same function, but the former interfaces to C++, the middle to JavaScript, and the latter to QML and C++ as part of the Qt ecosystem. CEF is also not managed by the Chromium team, it’s an independent project.

Steam is a big user of CEF and Spotify is the primary sponsor of Electron. Qt is a commercial library that charges for commercial usage.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 29, 2023

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It’s wrong in most languages as an underscore prefix is reserved for the compiler vendor

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pokeyman posted:

I've seen leading (or trailing, lol c++) underscore as a marker for "private" in all the languages mentioned so far.

Trailing underscore precisely because of the conflict with the vendor, i.e. random poo poo in headers. Other languages often carry the baggage of C and C++ in mindset, which also includes the silly m_ prefix.

Fortran posted:

All Fortran library procedure names have double leading underscores to reduce clashes with user-assigned subroutine names.

Python posted:

__var__ : double leading and trailing underscore variables (at least two leading and trailing underscores). Also called dunders. This naming convention is used by python to define variables internally. Avoid using this convention to prevent name conflicts that could arise with python updates.

I've seen a superbly amazing ex-Googler use underscores for all variables in bash of all things, :wtf:

Ironically underscore as a leading prefix for private scope comes from C itself,

Perl posted:

A utility subroutine exists only to simplify the implementation of a module or class. It is never supposed to be exported from its module, nor ever to be used in client code.

Always use an underscore as the first “letter” of any utility subroutine’s name. A leading underscore is ugly and unusual and reserved (by ancient C/Unix convention) for non-public components of a system. The presence of a leading underscore in a subroutine call makes it immediately obvious when part of the implementation has been mistaken for part of the interface.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 1, 2023

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

leper khan posted:

C has static for TR-scoped things, it doesn't need dumb underscore rules for fake static.

I think it refers to modules not files, i.e. you want a library to call functions in other files, but the linker was so utterly inept it cannot hide internal APIs to users of the library.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Most Samsung and LG TVs still only support ECMAScript 5, there's a whole market out there for outdated tech.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

JawnV6 posted:

https://x.com/ataiiam/status/1765089261374914957
:smug: its so clever a human couldn't write it

Hold by beer, I got this,
JavaScript code:
type MappedParameterTypes = any;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

My work uses custom tools and extensions/addons to popular (engineering) software in my field and things usually "just work" outside of edge cases. Recently one of the principal engineers has taken it upon themself to "clean things up" so he's been asking/demanding people send him random screenshots and outputs of things like .profile and other dotfiles and more recently he's been asking for people to dump him the contents of various bin folders. He wants to "remove all the crap we don't need" but it's 100% obvious he has no idea what he's doing. He complains about software developers not knowing what mechanical engineers need and how they should stay in their lane and work with the mechanical engineers, but the irony is that now he's doing the same thing from the other end. I legit think at the moment he's literally trying to delete stuff in cygwin/bin until he finds a "minimally functional master bin folder" that he then wants everyone to copy and paste to use.

I've offered him my help ("hey principal engineer mr sir, I literally have experience helping manage a HPC and this exact same software for grad school") but like most principal engineers he's obviously the smartest person in the room.
Probably be happy if you packaged everything into a Docker container so it looks "clean" from the outside.