Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allie
Jan 17, 2004

rotor posted:

I think I've spent more time reading nebby posts about hungarian than I've spent, total over the 12 years I've been a programmer, being confused by variable names.

Nebby, do you have any kind of studies that show this to be any kind of significant problem at all? Honestly, the entire argument reeks of brace-style, tabs-vs-spaces nonsense, except everyone seems to be taking it seriously, which baffles me.

I'm not sure what the gently caress he's talking about either, but I think tef nailed it with his fake quote. It almost seems like nebby agrees that Hungarian is confusing line noise, but that when you parse all that useless information it all magically clicks and you enter this zen buddha mode of coding and all the code suddenly makes sense.

At least that's what I've gathered from his points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allie
Jan 17, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's apparently "stackless python", a language pretty much exclusively used by CCP for Eve. I'm unsure how it differs from Python as I've never used it.

Stackless Python has true coroutine support, and allows continuations to be pickled (so you can send them to another machine and resume them, for instance). It also has some other concurrency related features, and I believe it does away with the GIL. I personally haven't used it, but it seems interesting.

Also, whatever you pasted isn't Stackless Python, it looks like a custom language they made. Stackless isn't a different language, it's just a different interpreter.

Allie
Jan 17, 2004

Melonhead posted:

What the hell is a Unicode keyboard? I am imagining a keyboard with over 100,000 buttons here.

A keyboard with a compose key? Maybe four or five different compose keys?

Anything but ASCII in source code is infuriating as hell though. :)

Allie
Jan 17, 2004

biznatchio posted:

Back in like 2002 when I was still following Perl 6 development, they had decided that several operators would be Unicode characters.

...I wonder if they ever changed their minds.

Python 3.0 will be allowing non-ASCII characters in identifiers, which I think is crazy enough. I don't know if it has proven itself not to be that much of a detriment in C#, but it irks me out thinking about not being able to easily edit someone else's code because it has characters that I can't type.

It could just be that I have a bias with English being my native language, but I do write in other languages that use characters that aren't on my keyboard (I use my compose key for that) and I can't imagine ever wanting special characters in my source code either way - I'd just as rather type out escape codes for them. I do like writing translation files in UTF-8 though.

But honestly I wouldn't be surprised at Perl doing something like that.

Allie
Jan 17, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm skeptical that goto has a valid place outside of perhaps some simple scripting. I challenge you to show me a valid example of goto use in modern object oriented code.

They're useful in C for cleanup in the case of errors, and they're usually more readable than the alternatives. Other than that, I don't know that I've ever used them for anything else, and in that case they usually aren't necessary or all that useful in languages with exception handling capabilities.