Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jabor posted:

You have my permission to stop posting
lmao are you loving serious?

im sorry this thread can't imagine a question that doesn't have a binary RIGHT/WRONG answer especially in a UI space, it's a severe limitation to carry out there as someone working with other humans and i sincerely hope this is just trolling me at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my worst introduction to a language was a bored TA explaining "Verilog's kinda like C without recursion" which is... a little lacking

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

OddObserver posted:

Is it Verilog or VHDL (or both?) that's full of language features that only work for simulation and can't actually be synthesized into hardware?

ive seen a Verilog tutorial "hello world" that's just that, using $display("hello world") to make the simulator print those characters

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

meanolmrcloud posted:

On the other hand, they plum forgot to add any ability to spectate matches in their uh, hopefully budding eSports client or any support for multiplayer whatsoever, their most popular format by far.
No spectating is such a killer, especially coming off Hearthstone where it's really slick, easy to hop on and watch a friend. Is there an official line where they tell folks about the top notch twitch integration and try to act like that's equivalent?

Then there's all these little UI things that work really well, because if it's in the core game they have to. I recently had to use the UI to cancel someone's attempt to cancel my cancel spell, it showed the entire stack as it was, with my cards closer to me, theirs closer to them, and asked which one I was trying to cancel. I had a spell that would exile something from a graveyard, someone's deck was picking stuff from the graveyard to go back to the hand/library, when I'd trigger my ability it would highlight the card they were trying to pluck and made that default choice extremely easy to input. There's weird corners like that where they definitely had the right folks solving it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

This one's fantastic. It'll work well enough if it's the only thing you're running, but on a contentious system or under load you'd see failures cropping up. Perfect recipe to pass DOA testing then slaughter bigger testing or prod.

At which point, naturally, you'd try to reduce it... where it starts passing again.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
heard this was the thread to discuss Basis Points??

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Beef posted:

I went into a video call expecting a tabs vs spaces discussion when I raised the issue of the baffling seemingly random C code style on a project I'm working on. Sometimes there would be a space between the function name and arglist, sometimes where wouldn't. There are occasional superfluous space after an open brace, which my emacs setups paints in angry red, that I would have to sweep up using whitespace-cleanup before commits.

It turned out every extra space has it's purpose and it is beautiful.

`foo ()` vs `foo()` allows grep to distinguish between definitions and call sites.

The superfluous space is a marker for a codegen tool that inserts markers for code coverage testing using gcov.

I used to maintain perl written by EE's. EE's generally have funny ideas about software, will get things working once then move on to other problems. This was perl that smashed ASCII together into SQL queries, so just the best possible environment for clever solutions to persist for years.

A couple of the genius inventions that I had to deal with included
code:
$AND = "AND"
$OR  = "OR "
Thinking it was superfluous, I removed the extra space from $OR. Turns out it was load bearing, as it bashed strings together to make a SQL query it would get to the end and chop; chop; chop; to remove the "extra" operator, without the " " it would whack a ")" and imbalance things.

The other incredible move was redefining $\, the newline character, from '\n' to '' so it could slurp a whole file and do one s/// operation instead of "looping" over "lines" like some uncourageous jerk.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Hahahahaha "committed" lmao, sure right okay.

let me direct you back to the intro:

JawnV6 posted:

I used to maintain perl written by EE's

"commit" wasn't in the vocabulary back there, this landed in my email as a .zip file

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

QuarkJets posted:

Given the choice between easy to read and comprehend vs clever I prefer the former, but if it's well-tested then clever is fine

Back at my first job they'd literally have sections of code where the two were side by side. "Here's the legible version if you're trying to interact with this section, here's the gross bit-by-bit breakdown to actually make it fast enough."

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://x.com/ataiiam/status/1765089261374914957
:smug: its so clever a human couldn't write it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

So really gross for no good reason.