Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Ok, if you haven't figured it out yet, it's time for me to admit I was just kidding. I thought the gig was up when shrughes called me out, but no...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Ok, if you haven't figured it out yet, it's time for me to admit I was just kidding. I thought the gig was up when shrughes called me out, but no...

Ahaha, yeah right, you just flipped positions and now you're back pedaling. You probably really didn't understand SQL. Now you better start worshipping a shrine of Victor.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

It isn't harder to optimize for because everyone who graduated from a CS program and had a course on computer architecture can reason about it.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

You say that, but then such people write out-of-place quicksort.
They weren't true Scotsmen.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Bozart posted:

This is pretty silly since the compiler is abstracting away the specifics of the architecture and the architecture is abstracting away the implementation of the cpu. The benefit of knowing specific cache edge cases and how the compiler interacts with them is only significant in a few domains that I can think of, and in almost all cases the time spent would be less valuable than code improvements that are better in all environments or if that is somehow impossible, getting faster hardware. Don't rice out your programs. Also don't expect big O to be anything more than a guideline - discontinuous performance is practically inevitable. The only horror is that this is a very broad problem produced by the complexities of trying to make faster computers.

A good guideline for debating someone is to talk about things that are relevant to what they're talking about. Zombywuf said that optimizing is hard. I said it isn't. Your argument is that you shouldn't do it or something. Maybe you quoted the wrong person?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

blorpy fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 22, 2011

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

To be fair, what you guys are doing is blaming the victim. It's not any more convincing than when people blame women for being raped.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Look Around You posted:

So everyone rushing and taking down the db was not cool, I'll agree there. The issue here though is that he was told about a vulnerability and not only refused to take steps to fix it, but he actually took a condescending stance towards someone pointing out a massive security hole. When he took that stance, pretty much the only way to get any action done was to act on the vulnerability. I mean, this doesn't seem so serious at this point because it was only levels or whatever, but what if in the future he decided to put in in-app purchases and decided to store payment data or credit card info in there or whatever? It's not a leap to figure he'd do that with the attitude he was taking, and that's where the real problem is.

What people did to the db was literally the worst-case scenario for what could have happened and you can't assume he would have used a similar setup for actual payment stuff like that. That's just lazy for you to make that point.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Look Around You posted:

I was going to write out a response to how the two do not compare at all but this is so loving ridiculous that it's not even worth it.

How do they differ at all?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Goat Bastard posted:

Databases don't have boobs

Well, if you've read the Manga Guide to Databases,

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Directly connecting to a MySQL database leads to security vulnerabilities.
Dressing provocatively leads to a rape.

HOW DO THESE TWO THINGS DIFFER AT ALL

So any known security vulnerability deserves a great force of people hammering on it to exploit it? Even if the manpower behind the product is quite small and unable to deal with such an attack?

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Whaaaa, what are we going to do on the B+-tree?

POMF

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

hi tripwire

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

If you tell somebody that leaving their wallet on their driveway to save time in the morning is a horrible terrible idea, and the next day their wallet is stolen, well, surprise, that's their fault.

Ok, this is obviously not the case and if you actually believe that you need to take a course on ethics and/or you're a retard.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

php should be banned from this thread. I'm not at all surprised that something you picked up out of a landfill smells like poo poo.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

You have to be actually retarded if it took you longer than a full minute to realize C+= was a parody. It's apparently an effective nerd tarpit, though.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Not even the language, the actual Malebolge

Too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Let's add a bunch of subtle bugs and edge cases to our version control! Yay!