Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

canis minor posted:

DHL does that (as, uses masks for types) with their shipping API, although they've forgotten to escape ., so you can crash it for some field types.
That reminds me that I talked to someone that worked at AOL a long time ago and they mentioned that at one time search servers would crash when people typed in "crème brûlée." There was a parsing problem for circumflexes and diacritics that caused the entire search service running on a host to crash. One person was looking for a recipe and brought down dozens or even hundreds of servers repeatedly typing in their query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You mean Sunnyvale?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Unit tests should test behaviors that your code relies upon being consistent. While unit tests != regression tests, the way that unit tests are oftentimes implemented overlaps heavily with the needs of regression tests. If your test structures and validity depend unintentionally upon changes in implementation of a code path this doesn't invalidate your tests. If your code guarantees that you will only call a function within an integer range and the function you depend upon supports a lot more, you don't need to cover more than you're using.... until you decide to increase the integer range support. That wouldn't be a regression in behavior as much as catching inputs (or sometimes states) that cause unanticipated behavior.

In my experience I see bigger problems with confusing integration and unit tests. If your tests depend upon a database existing and it's supposed to run constantly, it probably shouldn't belong in a unit test.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I can understand the need for some hacks but hacks that actively interfere with debugging need to be quarantined or perhaps put into a concentration camp.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I think I saw that kind of algorithm in a list of solutions conducted by a study on non-programmers for sorting a list of numbers. It was interesting to read through solutions because you could clearly see those that could have gotten a good answer if they had the right concepts shown to them (the fact that computers can only represent numbers so big or small, for example) from those that don't really think mathematically or logically in the first place.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Man, and I thought I had it bad porting Matlab code to Perl. Why would anyone hire developers to port to Matlab? I've normally seen academics prototype in Matlab or R and then get productionized for performance and such porting to something actually meant to run beyond someone's workstation for a demo to get a research grant.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
All this talk of file paths make me want to try writing programs exclusively with inodes for everything on my local filesystems and simply hash user-provided filenames into UUIDs after canonicalizing them.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I've learned that spending a large part of one's career working with ignorant and/or stupid users and coworkers holds you back in your career and that besides going to better places with better hiring standards (and an ecosystem of companies that meet such criteria where you live) the only way to progress is to get out of doing anything technical like... management because your own skills will atrophy. The number of times I've had to help people ssh into machines, configuring someone's Maven or Ivy settings, and cleaning out full disks is eye-watering.

After all, you can spend 30 hours / week actually doing something where you learn and grow, or you can spend 5 hours / week and have to make it up with 25 hours OUTSIDE work. The person with the better job that only works 40 hours / week will beat you in the long run.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Someone really, really wanted job security I see.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
It's amazing how much consulting work for fixing bad webapps comes down to just two things: fixing bad database queries / caching and fixing database indexes (or lack thereof). Modern computers are just so stinkin' fast now and every other person is on a broadband connection even on mobile that what would have been unusable 10+ years ago is pretty standard now basically. Every other enterprise LOB application I've seen doesn't even have a cache server / daemon so everything is stateful to death and makes deployments extremely disruptive because user sessions will become invalidated by going through another frontend. Meanwhile, users will report pages taking 30s+ to load all the time while some poor SQL server is doing table scans for absolutely no good reason whenever someone logs in.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I fear most the programmer that does not think what they wrote is a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
It doesn’t guess based upon depressed language usage or upon consistently overlapping searches by other users with similar keyword searches in any way? DuckDuckGo doesn’t seem to do this