Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Well even the giants too in the case of Meta/Alphabet

say why hasn't anyone demanded FAANG be updated to MAAAN yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The N is Microsoft, by way of Nokia

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IEC 61131 Functional Block Diagram

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Can't speak for Beef, but one of our programs appends yyyyMMddHHmmss to the file name of files it creates, plus a random 3 digits at the end.
When asked about "what if the program creates two files at the same time and the rng spits out the same 3 digits both times?" I was told this is so statistically unlikely that we shouldn't worry about it :v:

I'm like "oh shoulda appended a whole GUID" and then got to digging and oh drat the RFC for those specifies a weird time format with a weird epoch

quote:

4.1.4. Timestamp

The timestamp is a 60-bit value. For UUID version 1, this is represented by Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) as a count of 100-nanosecond intervals since 00:00:00.00, 15 October 1582 (the date of Gregorian reform to the Christian calendar).

fuckin clock circles all the way down

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sibuna_Switch/status/1596768465095983104

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

EoRaptor posted:

They talk about how the .33 is an approximation of 1/3rd, so dropping the 'or equal too' isn't going to change the results in meaningful way.

Later they changed the < to > and didn't explain the rationale for that very major change at all tho

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jabor posted:

They changed it from "if a < b, skip this next section" to "if a > b, do this section".

ohhhhhhhh yeah I definitely missed that

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Volmarias posted:

Really, programming in real alphabets and words was the mistake, we should have taken a page from APL and just made anything that's not user facing I/O content be weird, bespoke symbology that requires a separate keyboard. This would have kept the priesthood of programming interact, preventing shenanigans like this under thread of Programmer Exile.

I am loving this brute-force solution to SQL injection, just look at all the trouble in-band signalling caused telephone companies.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

Crossposting from the Python thread because I think it goes here:

Switched teams recently, was trying to modify some stuff and went to check unit tests; most of the packages I'm touching don't have unit tests (and I don't have time to overhaul them) but one did, so I was like 'oh okay cool, I can add some tests here to check things'.

However, when I looked more closely, I realized that all the tests were some variation of the below. See if you can spot the problem.

Python code:
def test_get_widget():
	expected_response = ["OUTCOME"]
	class_to_test.get_widget = Mock(response=expected_response)
	assert class_to_test.get_widget(test_parameters) == expected_response
This is also the package where I added the most actual functionality that actually could use some tests...so...welp. Looks like I get to rewrite all the unit tests tomorrow.

Thank you for boosting my confidence to believe that I actually can change careers from wastewater treatment to software dev

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jabor posted:

It's the sort of thing where one implementation can do something clever assuming everyone else follows the standards, but if it becomes widespread and other systems start trying to interact with it (e.g. by assuming a 512KB reservation must be one particular vendor's hack, and so it can poke into that memory to do something clever) then everything becomes a huge mess.

welcome to MS-DOS, we've missed you

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

something something leap second smear

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

do it for 64-bit and you will complete all the names of God

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

TIL about python prepopulating integer objects for every value between -5 and 256 every time you run a program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I legit think at the moment he's literally trying to delete stuff in cygwin/bin until he finds a "minimally functional master bin folder" that he then wants everyone to copy and paste to use.

I've offered him my help ("hey principal engineer mr sir, I literally have experience helping manage a HPC and this exact same software for grad school") but like most principal engineers he's obviously the smartest person in the room.

wait I heard about this guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_Muntz