Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

Internets. Serious Business.

the talent deficit posted:

So that javascript monstrosity I posted? It gets better. The variable names are generated each time you load the page. That's right, they change. I'm also now in contact with the author of the 'framework' and some of the things he's said lead me to believe this is for security. To, y'know, protect the integrity of the form. Check out some of these other quotes:

Also, and this is my favorite, he's using phpincludes as the storage backend.

:barf:

Warning, pissy rant ahead!

I never cease to be amazed at how people so ignorant can think themselves to be so loving smart. Also, the older I get, the more I want to physically assault programmers who inflict "cute", "awesome", "ingenious" or "brilliant" solutions like these - that are used by no other major framework/application - without considering the hurdles in maintenance, debugging, and overall (OVERALL) security. If you're coming up with cute JavaScript shenanigans at the coffee shop - don't loving integrate them into production systems that other people will have to deal with.

The fantabulous thing about the Interwebs is you do have an opportunity to write new code, to do something nobody's ever done before. But jesus tittyfucking christ, do these things on your own time, blog about them, propose them as additions to open source projects that can benefit from them. If they're good they'll take off! Don't just slam them into any code that people rely on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

Lexical Unit posted:

Also, little vs big endianness comes into play as the endianness of the serialized object doesn't necessarily have to match the endianness of either the sending or receiving machines.

:argh:

Whenever I have to deal with endian issues I leave a trail of tears!

One time I was freaking out because I saw a little endian - my friend said don't worry - it must have been the LSB!

Taking account of endianness always fills me with reservations.

Data having network byte order is always lazy, drunk, and poor!

Thanks! I'll be here all week! Please remember to tip your waitresses!

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

zootm posted:

Caching the prime numbers is memory-intensive. For the best performance profile you should calculate them on-demand each time.

This is especially true when you are using PRRBM (Pigeon Relay Ring Buffer Memory) - write times, read times, and serial access - the worst of all worlds!

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

mantaworks posted:

closest i can come to "post hot programmer chicks" (its his girlfriend/wife (hes my hero (not really hes a nerd)))

If you can come to that, then you have serious problems.

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

Ugh... why is this page taking forever to load?!?!?

Click here for the full 800x587 image.

oh ..... dammit.

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

So one of our applications at work is slow. OK. It's responsible for managing access control for about 2000 users. OK.

So the first time it was reported as acting slow, I looked at the source. Every time the main page is loaded, all users are selected from the database, and any filtering/sorting is done by Java embeded the the JSP page. OK, that's probably the problem. Nothing much you can do about it without a rewrite, so I don't worry about it.

The complaints persist. I take another look. It turns out that the information for each of the 2000 users is loaded into the "AdmUser2" object. Which queries the database upon instantiation to find out more info about the user

So. 1 query that fetches ~50kb of information needlessly, and then almost always filters it all down to a dozen records, and 2000 queries to find out what databases people have access to (so we can ignore all but about a dozen of them)

And how is database access checked by the JSP filtering code? By comparing the desired database name against a generated HTML list of databases from the user object

:suicide:

Final Exam Question 13: Given the algorithm above, describe the scalability in big-O notation.

O( Hindenburg^Titanic )

Edit: Sent this post to a friend and double-checked the link in a non-logged in browser - HOLY CRAP are the non-logged-in ads obnoxious!! Has it always been that bad?

fansipans fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 16, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fansipans
Nov 20, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

Mustach posted:

code:
public interface AbstractThingFactory {
  AbstractThingDoer doThatFactory();
  AbstractThingDoer okDoTheRealThingFactory();
  AbstractHelper helperMethodFactory();
  AbstractHelper helperMethodForOkDoTheRealThingFactory();
}
Fixed.

This is actually what you get if you just keep hitting Ctrl+Space in Eclipse.