Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Spotted just now on scans_daily, from Final Crisis #1:

Nice, except the music should be from "Won't Get Fooled Again" to be a true Caruso homage, shouldn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Fearsome Critter posted:

It gets even better. He has a showdown with an aging Obi-Wan until Uncle Owen takes the kill shot then bitches out Ben.

I'm disappointed Obi-Wan didn't cut him in half lengthways that time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BetterTasteThnU posted:

I was about to comment upon how weird an idea that was that they even published that comic and then I remembered there's some Chuck comic out there right now.

Marvel put out two issues of a Sledge Hammer! comic and I wish I could find them.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

BetterTasteThnU posted:

So you're the other guy who got Sledge Hammer! on DVD.

Guilty. That show was ahead of its time. I certainly don't feel as bad about watching it today as I do "The Greatest American Hero" or "DuckTales."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

The best thing about this is that the "To Be Continued" at the bottom is now the funniest part of the entire page.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

Thanks to Was Taters for the source.

Saw this and the first thing that popped into my head is what you see.

I'd like to think that he and Bruce just carry variations on this in their utility belts for just such occasions.

This only reminds me how much I hate it when writers have minority/disabled characters make racist or otherwise insensitive jokes to show how "cool" and "laid-back" they are.

If the first thing that pops into your head for a disabled character to say is a joke about being crippled, then you should probably slow down and take another pass at it, because all you're doing is giving yourself permission to indulge your laziness.

EDIT: This is not to say that some characters can't be "cool" about their disability or other situation, but Barbara was shot in the spine and presumably raped by the Joker. That's a bit different than being crippled in a car accident or having polio.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 12, 2009

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm pretty sure she wasn't actually raped. The whole 'photo shoot' aspect was more about Jim than Barbara if you're taking this from the Killing Joke. (Plus I hate the cliche that if any female character has some tragedy occur, it HAS to involve rape, somewhere. Pissed me off when Heinberg did it in Young Avengers no end.)

And Barbara was Batgirl. Given how lovely Gotham's shown to be, and her dad and step-mom's job (Jim still was married to Sarah Essen, right?), it's pretty likely she's developed a good gallows sense of humour. You'd have to to avoid losing it. Now, Mary Marvel under the same circumstances (assuming DC weren't intent on ruining that character already)? Yes, I'd expect her to be a bit more sombre about that.

Maybe I did jump to conclusions about what happened in Killing Joke. Even if it doesn't apply to Barbara, though, I still don't like that particular convention of writing for minority or disabled characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Oatgan posted:

So which Superman is Randy Quaid in that scenario?

Pariah is obviously Randy Quaid.

"Those Monitors DID STUFF to me, man!"

• Locked thread