Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

BMW Thread: just buy two M3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm also struggling with whether or not this is worth more than a Panamera Turbo wagon + another cheap fun car. I think from a practical sense the Panamera makes more sense but an E91 M3 6sp would be really drat special. And if I go down the path of an E91 build I'm on car-buying timeout for a while.
One thing to keep in mind is that Porsche has discontinued the Panamera wagon.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I like the insanity of it but fundamentally with that money you should just buy an E92 M3 for you and the dog and and E90 M3 for the wife and kids to follow behind you.

:hmmyes:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

Well baby. I've done some research, and crunched some numbers. My build? Let me show you, I can save us some money.

30k in mods, and this
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2015-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-E-AMG-63-S-Model-4MATIC-Wagon-AWD-t56151

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well poo poo.

Tired, stressed, rushing a bit, and apparently I trusted the dude waving me out and mid left turn caught the lady coming up the turn lane. :(

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Alarbus posted:

Well poo poo.

:( Condolences.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, turning left and the 2 cars in the north-bound lane stopped to let me through the intersection... Just as a Prius was cruising down the middle turning lane and dinged me. Nowhere near as damaging as your incident though :( At least you're physically OK!

Kind of a pain in the rear end with the wrap though. Stupidly I didn't take down their info, figured I could get it from the police report. Every single time I called my insurance they were just like, "weird I can't find the other drivers info... even though we already agreed to a 50-50 split" so actually my bumper still looks like that. Haven't wanted to figure out buying my own replacement / find someone who will wrap just a bumper.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 3, 2024

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

Well poo poo.

Tired, stressed, rushing a bit, and apparently I trusted the dude waving me out and mid left turn caught the lady coming up the turn lane. :(

Ouch. Guess it's time to replace it with one of the E9x M3's that Jayhawk isn't getting.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Hmm, I wasn't expecting this much automotive sanity.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I like the insanity of it but fundamentally with that money you should just buy an E92 M3 for you and the dog and and E90 M3 for the wife and kids to follow behind you.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I very much cannot afford a new Panamera Turbo. I was looking at first model years of the sport turismo.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Well baby. I've done some research, and crunched some numbers. My build? Let me show you, I can save us some money.

30k in mods, and this
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2015-Mercedes-Benz-E-Class-E-AMG-63-S-Model-4MATIC-Wagon-AWD-t56151

This is not too far off from what may happen.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm really hoping they opt to fix it honestly, the other F36s are clapped out with less features (and I had swapped on the 2NH brakes...), and the new ones have the beaver teeth front end, and are a lot more expensive.

I still have the F30, but uhhhhhh it's on summer tires and still flashed to RWD, so I need it to warm up a bit more and ideally stop raining.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm not actually an insurance adjuster, but that car is broken to at least 50.51% of its value. Might be worth a buyback since you know what happened to it. Good luck, don't get screwed by their initial offer on the claim.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
The old guy from the tow company thinks it's fixable, as does a friend who works for a totally different insurance company. After seeing it now, I think the A and B pillars escaped damage, so that would be good.

Fun bit, they disconnected the battery for the tow yard, which makes sense. But the F36 doesn't seem to have a trunk key hole, so I was yanking car seats so I could get into the trunk to use the safety release to open it. In the 44* rain, the same 44* rain from last night. :(

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I have been in contact with a shop in FL that can do an E91 M3 wagon conversion. It's Precision Sport Industries and they did the Bilstein-sponsored orange "GTS tribute" build a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW68NqCZ1vY

I spoke with the owner yesterday and spent a half hour going through the process, what I wanted out of it, and talked rough numbers. The orange car was obviously their showcase of what could be done and I told him this would be my daily. Kids, sporting events, and a giant dog. My budget is a fraction of what that orange car's build cost and there was an understanding on both sides that we wouldn't move forward if my budget was on the razor's edge of feasibility. Based on the video series for the orange car, it does seem like they make this as turn-key, OEM-like as possible. And this would be the full external transformation including rear fenders and bumper.

I put together some notes today to outline their minimum cost for labor and materials, the cost of two donor cars, and the "while you're in there" items. Unfortunately it's about $20K higher than I'm willing to spend. I sent my notes to the owner today and told him, based on my assumptions, it doesn't look like this is going to work out. He's going to figure out what the minimum is that they need to do and get back to me. That puts a lot more pressure on the donor cars being in good condition. Ideally the engine has rod bearings and throttle actuators already done, miles on the donor car are reasonable so the engine, transmission, and diff have good life in them, and overall it's not a basketcase. I would also need a wrap instead of a repaint.

I'm a little disappointed it's (probably) not going to work but I'm glad I went through the process of finding out. Otherwise I would have the nagging thought of "what if" in my mind. The dream is not completely dead and somehow my wife is mostly onboard with my outrageously dumb ideas. And yes, it could be done cheaper but with work and kids my time available to orchestrate work done at multiple shops out of state is nonexistent.

I'm also struggling with whether or not this is worth more than a Panamera Turbo wagon + another cheap fun car. I think from a practical sense the Panamera makes more sense but an E91 M3 6sp would be really drat special. And if I go down the path of an E91 build I'm on car-buying timeout for a while.

They are extremely cool but yeah real expensive. I hope the exercise has at least given you some closure? I personally think you should but I am an idiot.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Alarbus posted:

Well poo poo.

Well gently caress, hope you and any kids are just fine?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I have been in contact with a shop in FL that can do an E91 M3 wagon conversion. It's Precision Sport Industries and they did the Bilstein-sponsored orange "GTS tribute" build a while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW68NqCZ1vY

I spoke with the owner yesterday and spent a half hour going through the process, what I wanted out of it, and talked rough numbers. The orange car was obviously their showcase of what could be done and I told him this would be my daily. Kids, sporting events, and a giant dog. My budget is a fraction of what that orange car's build cost and there was an understanding on both sides that we wouldn't move forward if my budget was on the razor's edge of feasibility. Based on the video series for the orange car, it does seem like they make this as turn-key, OEM-like as possible. And this would be the full external transformation including rear fenders and bumper.

I put together some notes today to outline their minimum cost for labor and materials, the cost of two donor cars, and the "while you're in there" items. Unfortunately it's about $20K higher than I'm willing to spend. I sent my notes to the owner today and told him, based on my assumptions, it doesn't look like this is going to work out. He's going to figure out what the minimum is that they need to do and get back to me. That puts a lot more pressure on the donor cars being in good condition. Ideally the engine has rod bearings and throttle actuators already done, miles on the donor car are reasonable so the engine, transmission, and diff have good life in them, and overall it's not a basketcase. I would also need a wrap instead of a repaint.

I'm a little disappointed it's (probably) not going to work but I'm glad I went through the process of finding out. Otherwise I would have the nagging thought of "what if" in my mind. The dream is not completely dead and somehow my wife is mostly onboard with my outrageously dumb ideas. And yes, it could be done cheaper but with work and kids my time available to orchestrate work done at multiple shops out of state is nonexistent.

I just don't know if I would go through the hassle. If wagon is the thing that is an absolute requirement then I would be shopping an E63 or RS6 Avant...maybe even a CTS-V? Not the sexiest or the wildest option but after seeing some friends that have had project cars drag on for years I just don't know if I have the patience for it. Have you tried contacting Performance Technic out of Fremont? They have done some S65 V8 swaps to E82 1ers that are incredible. They could be worth the conversation as well to at least get two different price quotes.

Alarbus posted:

Well poo poo.

Balls. I refuse to trust anyone on the road anymore. If I cannot see the whole scene in front of me I will just wait. It is never worth it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Never trust anyone waving you on. Guarantee they didn't look in their mirrors, so it's the same as blindly driving out. It's worth it to just go with the flow of traffic and turn around later.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i got my CDL in college and drove a bus in the town bus system. one of the things they emphasized most was NEVER wave anyone across and NEVER trust anyone waving you across. pedestrian, another car, a cop, a huge truck, whatever. wave all you want, i will sit and ignore you until i can see everything i need

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just don't know if I would go through the hassle.

That's the thing. The car you want already exists, it was built well from the factory, It's just not a wagon. if you're going to do this at least find a V12 from a wrecked 812 Superfast and really make it "worth' the fabrication and other one-off nightmares.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think part of the appeal of the M3 Touring build is that it's all BMW so it should mostly all play nicely together.
Digging into all the stuff for an LS E9x swap, looks like it's a bit more of an electrical headache: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNd2FbF7-k&t=835s

And then later in the video there's a section, "How do I make my A/C work". I don't know why that's not in the segment I timestamped, but :shrug: [I guess because you CAN get it back, just needs additional consideration]

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TheBacon posted:

Well gently caress, hope you and any kids are just fine?

Cojawfee posted:

Never trust anyone waving you on. Guarantee they didn't look in their mirrors, so it's the same as blindly driving out. It's worth it to just go with the flow of traffic and turn around later.

My kids weren't in the car. EMTs checked out the other driver and her baby, they're both fine.

I know not to trust waving. But man, I'm so tired, so stressed, and my brain just went "yep" without the important bits in between. :(

2yo keeps waking me up. 6yo went REALLY low twice the night before for the first time in months, and wife's work is so busy with dumpster fires that I'm doing a lot. More than I should, apparently.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
1. Know a guy (or guys) who "kinda knows how to work on cars."
2. Source the project cars.
3. Make a YouTube channel documenting the project.
4. Spam the channel on social media and forums.
5. Get ads, get sponsors, get a free project car!

I mean, some of the people doing this already are idiots, how hard can it be?!

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I think part of the appeal of the M3 Touring build is that it's all BMW so it should mostly all play nicely together.
Digging into all the stuff for an LS E9x swap, looks like it's a bit more of an electrical headache: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRNd2FbF7-k&t=835s

And then later in the video there's a section, "How do I make my A/C work". I don't know why that's not in the segment I timestamped, but :shrug: [I guess because you CAN get it back, just needs additional consideration]
That's the idea, yeah. There are factory ECUs and wiring to accommodate the S65. The shop I spoke to got the orange car to OEM operation. No dash lights, all the touring bits work correctly, traction control, A/C, traction control, etc.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just don't know if I would go through the hassle. If wagon is the thing that is an absolute requirement then I would be shopping an E63 or RS6 Avant...maybe even a CTS-V? Not the sexiest or the wildest option but after seeing some friends that have had project cars drag on for years I just don't know if I have the patience for it. Have you tried contacting Performance Technic out of Fremont? They have done some S65 V8 swaps to E82 1ers that are incredible. They could be worth the conversation as well to at least get two different price quotes.
Unfortunately I think you're right. I was already on the fence with the Panamera being TT V8 and PDK objectively being the better decision. Even if the M3 Touring build came out 100% perfect, you still have
1. Insurance considerations (I would need a collector policy with agreed value and it technically couldn't be my daily)
2. Timeline (eight month build that starts Q4 2024)
3. Writing massive checks to a shop out of state. There are countless stories of people getting hosed by shops and I would have zero protections if poo poo went south.

TheBacon posted:

They are extremely cool but yeah real expensive. I hope the exercise has at least given you some closure? I personally think you should but I am an idiot.
They're $20K over my budget. Even if they're able to bring things down, that might cut the quality to a level I don't want. And I need a quality shop to do everything for me as OEM as possible. My E90 M3 was very reliable and I am far too busy to deal with issues. And yes, as I type this out, the idea is even dumber than I originally imagined.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The real answer is convince Sreten to build it on his channel and ship it back.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Ouch. Guess it's time to replace it with one of the E9x M3's that Jayhawk isn't getting.

Oh I missed this. If the F30 got wrecked I would look into an E9x M3 as a replacement fun car. But I do 90% of the school runs that's not a great choice in PA which gets just enough bad weather to be bad at it.

Made the lady running the bodyshop office's day by simply calling ahead and telling her it'll show up, rather than let it be a surprise. Also by being a repeat customer, though the prior ones were very minor. :(

Edit rather than double post:
The tow company disconnected the battery, smart. They didn't know where it was, fair. They tossed the trunk looking for it, fair. They shut the trunk after, risky. BMW didn't put a keyed lock on the F36 liftgate??? What the gently caress.

Thankfully it was unlocked, I only had to strip out one car seat on the passenger side to reach the emergency release handle, but holy poo poo why.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 3, 2024

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
M car is fine, just put decent tires on it in the winter and it will handle anything you can get in PA.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

M car is fine, just put decent tires on it in the winter and it will handle anything you can get in PA.

Yup. Dailied mine through a winter in Colorado including a couple trips into the mountains to snowboard. Didn't do any super snowy days in it, but went up the last steep bit to Eldora on loosely packed snow just fine. There's probably a pic on the forums somewhere. Only real concern is deep enough snow to get high centered. The only time I ever got stuck was trying to blast out of my garage to the street to get some coffee. We'd gotten like 14 inches and I made it 6 feet.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Alarbus posted:

Well poo poo.

That is poo poo. Sorry.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Fun fact: if you have a mechanical tensioner on an e39 i6, check it for noise and movement. I did a cooling overhaul and still had a noise - the mechanical tensioner was about to spread all my hard work.

Hydraulic tensioner replacement feels much better.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Also a fun fact, but far less critical to your drivetrain:

If your F30-platform car has rattling door lock pins, you can pry off the surrounds and stuff them with Ikea furniture pads cut into strips.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm kind of amazed at how little noise the interior of my E92 has accumulated over 36k miles. The inside piece of right rear window trim sometimes needs a little nudge when the window is open as there's a slight flutter/rattle, but it's like once every 5k miles. Nothing else on the interior makes any noise at all.

A key and probably unrelated tip to avoiding hearing any BMW interior rattles is to always have the windows down and always have a S65 but ymmv.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Something between 124K mi and 132K mi happened in mine and now the interior squeaks like 2 Styrofoam containers :(

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

fknlo posted:

I requested pilkington with the last replacement and it cracked the first time a rock got near it so I figured I’d gamble on something else. I lost.

It's not just you. I got a Pilkington replacement windshield last summer and it's already got half a dozen stars and a 6" crack. My E46 did fine with a Pilkington replacement, but on the F80 it looks like I'll be replacing again by year 2. gently caress. I guess I'll sack up for OE next time.

Sab669 posted:

Something between 124K mi and 132K mi happened in mine and now the interior squeaks like 2 Styrofoam containers :(

Gummi Pflege your door seals.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's not just you. I got a Pilkington replacement windshield last summer and it's already got half a dozen stars and a 6" crack. My E46 did fine with a Pilkington replacement, but on the F80 it looks like I'll be replacing again by year 2. gently caress. I guess I'll sack up for OE next time.

Ugh you're reminding me of when I replaced the windshield on my E46 a few years ago, and the shop put in not one but two horribly warped windshields from some brand I forget. Like horrible rippling right in front of your eyeballs it's incredible the shop didn't notice (or more likely, care). They fought me a bit the second time but the third one they switched to a PGW brand and it has been fine I guess. It might just be me but I swear the the laminate coating on it reflects slightly more of the dash than the original, a minor annoyance if I'm not just imagining it.

Should have gone OEM, gently caress me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

SlapActionJackson posted:

Both my F80 and F30 have Fuyao now I think and have both held up alright. The one in the F30 has at least 25k miles on it too and has definitely taken a rock or two.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

That is poo poo. Sorry.

I guess it's not surprising, but dealing with tow company/yard shenanigans was more annoying. Local yard wanted some insurance process from other companies to take the car to my bodyshop, my actual insurance company had never heard of it, but they found someone willing to do it. Like, being added on to the other tow companies insurance so if they get hurt helping them, the claim goes on the transport to company? It was all very weird and sounded like they got screwed in an edge case, or were trying to make it deliberately hard so they'd get more storage or transport fees.

Anyway, my part is done, and it sounds like the car is getting fixed. That's good for me, I didn't want to decide between a clapped out F36 or an expensive beaver toothed Gwhatever. Also I had just put the M brakes on that last summer, I don't want to feel like I need to do that again.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

My wagon will be heading to paint next week so hopefully in two weeks I will be $20k lighter in the pocket but have a non mangled E91 back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TheBacon posted:

My wagon will be heading to paint next week so hopefully in two weeks I will be $20k lighter in the pocket but have a non mangled E91 back.

Gonna paint a wagon, gonna paint it fine. Gonna use oil based paint, because the wood is piiiiiine.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If anyone is wondering which model of M3 is currently having their moment the trend does appear to be leaning E9X.

This is an extremely fresh example. Original owner, 24k miles, 6 speed and "single hump" dash. I think the price is pretty high given it is a 2009, but the 6MT/no iDrive option boosts that value a bit.

Link to Bring a Trailer

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That is a very boring gray, but man, no nav dash is a sight to see. That looks so good. I know you've said the car is better with DCT, but I am not surprised at all that no nav and 6MT brought a premium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Alarbus posted:

That is a very boring gray, but man, no nav dash is a sight to see. That looks so good. I know you've said the car is better with DCT, but I am not surprised at all that no nav and 6MT brought a premium.

Space Grey Metallic looks awesome in person and changes color depending on the sky conditions. It's not the grey the regular 3-series got.