Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ziploc posted:

That gearstick looks weird as hell.

It looks weird, but it actually fits the contours of your right hand very, very well. It is most comfortable to use in practice.

Beerios posted:

I'm pretty sure it's an auto with tiptronic mode, but still just a torque converter-based slushbox.

True that it is a slushbox, and its not even the new 'sport' transmission that they offer in the non 'x' 5ers. I went looking for my E61 thinking that I was going to have to order the manual, but I was surprised at just how capable the auto is in terms of real use. Regular drive mode its acceptable, but put it into Sport mode and it will downshift under breaking in anticipation of needing power again, holds gears just as long as your right foot tells it to (and you learn very fast the minute inputs needed to get the desired result), and most surprisingly forgets that 6th gear even exists until you are driving 'go directly to jail if pulled over' fast.

Tiptronic shifts aren't dual-clutch instant, but they aren't slow (though I long for the 100ms shift time of the upgraded auto, that would be an improvement regardless of how minor (100ms or less)). Gears will be held until redline (no upshifting), but if you rapidly floor the accelerator it will downshift automatically for maximum thrust NOW (literally stomp your foot down hard, you can still WOT in any gear without it shifting for you).

I don[don't find the shifter or gearbox cheap or plasticky at all, but I don't expect it to behave exactly as a manual, either. If you are willing to embrace it for what it is (and in here, that is a tall order, what with my car lacking the third pedal or extra clutch), you can do wonderful things together.

Ninja Edit: I would not wish this transmission on someone with a 528 or 530, but the 535 makes enough power that you really get plenty of performance even without the manual. Sure, someone with a manual will be faster, no doubt. I also drive a wagon with x-drive, so I wasn't ever buying the fastest 535.

Ultimate Mango fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

RandomG posted:

That sounds really tempting, I'll have to look if I can scavenge up the money and get the car to a point where I won't be paranoid about flogging it.

Well you need a track inspection ($35) from one of the local indie shops before they'll let you on the track and a BMWCCA membership ($50/yr) but the inspection would reveal any potential problems. There will be another event on 5/1 and I should be at that one too.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

Admirable Gusto posted:

It is the most annoying transmission lever in the world. My parents have an AT E60 525i (we put small engines in cars in Asia hurr) and every time I have to touch it I gingerly clasp the thing with the tips of my fingers like I'm going to break it, and it feels like the cheapest plastic joystick in the world. The action feels more mechanically decoupled than your average automatic shifter and makes it plain that it's the car's electronic brain that is calling the shots, not you. Over-engineered creatively-shaped garbage, that's what the shifter is (grumble, grumble, rant over).

edit> When I prefer the feel of my 1999 4-cyl AT Camry's shifter to this, BMW has a problem.

It really is absolutely awful.

I drove an '08 650 convertible for the Komen/Ultimate Drive transport, and after we stopped at a rest area mid-way, I couldn't figure out how to operate either the push-button starter OR the gearshifter to reverse. I'm a mid-20s IT professional/"computer guy", and *I* hate iDrive and the electro-gizzardry on these cars.

Aside from the stupid shift lever and the broken paddles (pull upshift/push downshift WTF SERIOUSLY) the actual transmission isn't bad for an automatic, especially in sport mode. It would annoy the piss out of me on the track, but for a GT type top-down highway missile its alright.

I just can't for the life of me understand how some of this driver interface stuff is "better" than the plain gearshift lever, key-turn starter, and knobs for heat/AC/radio in a base-model '90 Civic. Or '90 BMW 5-series, for that matter.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Tiptronic shifts aren't dual-clutch instant, but they aren't slow (though I long for the 100ms shift time of the upgraded auto, that would be an improvement regardless of how minor (100ms or less)). Gears will be held until redline (no upshifting), but if you rapidly floor the accelerator it will downshift automatically for maximum thrust NOW (literally stomp your foot down hard, you can still WOT in any gear without it shifting for you).

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and haven't come up with anything, but what does "WOT" stand for?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

I've been trying to figure this out for a while and haven't come up with anything, but what does "WOT" stand for?

Wide-open throttle. Flooring it, if you will.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

Admirable Gusto posted:

(we put small engines in cars in Asia hurr)

Heh, I loved seeing the e65 730i, the e60 518i, I think I remember a e90 320i also on my trip to China. Saw a 760i in Shanghai, that's way more balla there, even though it is here too.

It's funny to think that WOT these days doesn't necessarily mean your throttle's all the way open with DBW stuff.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well you need a track inspection ($35) from one of the local indie shops before they'll let you on the track and a BMWCCA membership ($50/yr) but the inspection would reveal any potential problems. There will be another event on 5/1 and I should be at that one too.

My car's 20 years old, my front right tire has a chunk missing that my instructor wasn't comfortable with last time, but who didn't keep me from going out, I need to adjust a few valves and I don't have the s38/s14 tool, and $300 ($450 or so with the valve adjust tool) is a lot of money for me right now.

Part of me thinks I'm an idiot for flogging a car this old, and the other part thinks that it can handle it and that any big problems with the car will show themselves slowly.

RandomG fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 1, 2008

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Russian Bear posted:

Wide open throttle.

EDIT: gently caress!

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Noeland posted:

This thing just magically appeared in my driveway, and I haven't stopped staring since.

Methinks a PNW BMW goonmeet should be in order.

PNW meet for shizzle, Merkin and I are in with good notice.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN
How much are most of you all paying on insurance for these? I've been looking at E36 328's and every quote I get is almost 400/month? I'm 25 and have one ticket on my record from almost 3 years ago?

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

XCPuff posted:

How much are most of you all paying on insurance for these? I've been looking at E36 328's and every quote I get is almost 400/month? I'm 25 and have one ticket on my record from almost 3 years ago?

this 22yo single male pays $900 for 6 Mo policy with one ticket 3 years ago for my M Coupe and my G wagon (no not Mercedes, GM).

thealphabetsez posted:

PNW meet for shizzle, Merkin and I are in with good notice.

Just so long as I don't have to organize poo poo or lead anything, might I recommend a summertime (mid July time frame) day(ish) trip over the passes (Stevens and Bluett are my nominations).

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
It looks like I've been bit on the rear end by the "Stick rests at 5th when cold" problem. I thought it was just worn tranny mounts, but some more research confirmed that it's quite a bit worse.

Has anyone else had to deal with this yet? Doing the labor myself isn't really an option either :(

Worst case scenario, I've got a while before the gates disappear entirely and I get to do the UUC flywheel/clutch combo while I'm at it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

XCPuff posted:

I am a 26yo male with an E36 328, and I pay about $65-$70 a month. And I have a few points on my license, and one accident.

I do get a bunch of discounts though, like multi-car, and Ive been with them for 10 years. Being married probably helps, too. I have a $500 deductable btw.

My 328 is $5 a month cheaper than my '03 Altima was to insure.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

XCPuff posted:

21 with a clean license and I pay $45 a month for liability on my 92 325i. It went down from about 70 when I turned 21.

edit: No collision because I dont crash (also poor)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I think I may have shattered some folks' preconceived notions about BMW drivers the other day. On my way home from work I was blasting Kalmah - Tordah with the windows down and just rocking out in general. This Cherokee pulls up next to me and I see the dude driving and his passenger are rocking out with me and motioning for me to turn it down so they can talk. They are both covered in tattoos and piercings and had a look of amazement in their eyes at the dude in khakis and a polo rocking out to metal in his BMW.

:psyduck: "Who is that?"
:cool: "Kalmah"
:psyduck: "They rock, man!"

They threw up the horns and we went on about our way navigating through traffic.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

frozenphil posted:

I think I may have shattered some folks' preconceived notions about BMW drivers the other day. On my way home from work I was blasting Kalmah - Tordah with the windows down and just rocking out in general. This Cherokee pulls up next to me and I see the dude driving and his passenger are rocking out with me and motioning for me to turn it down so they can talk. They are both covered in tattoos and piercings and had a look of amazement in their eyes at the dude in khakis and a polo rocking out to metal in his BMW.

They threw up the horns and we went on about our way navigating through traffic.

I'm typically bumpin' the old pressure torture which I'm sure is the last thing you'd expect to hear coming from a clean E46. It's just some smooth, chilled out, positive vibes for running down hobos. A quote from a former passenger of mine describes it as "WE ARE A MACHINE OF DEATH".

3363 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 1, 2008

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup
I've whored this car around a little on AI, but I'LL DO IT AGAIN:

2002 BMW M5 with 32k miles.

Recent mods:
Shark injected :rock:
Britalman Exhaust :rock:
Intravee II ipod integration
Updated "MKIV" BMW Nav system w/ DVD
Blacked out ovals (not shown)

Ordered but not installed:
RogueEngineering Short Shift Kit
New stock wheels (current ones are chromed and ugly)

That'll be all of the modifications for a while.

The car itself is a ton of fun. It's a riot. With almost 400lb ft of torque and 400 crank hp, the ability to spin the tires (with DSC off) at any point in the RPM range in almost any gear is just giggly-fun. It's one of those cars that is completely point and shoot.

Sorry for the long line of images, but I firmly believe the E39 M5 is going to prove to be one of the "last great" BMWs; before iDrive, the heavy duty electronics, and the heavy design changes. It's a classic beautiful car that hauls rear end.

usurper fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 1, 2008

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

usurper posted:

Sorry for the long line of images, but I firmly believe the E39 M5 is going to prove to be one of the "last great" BMWs; before iDrive, the heavy duty electronics, and the heavy design changes. It's a classic beautiful car that hauls rear end.
drat straight and don't be ashamed to haul those sexy pics out. It's even the best colour (blue)!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

usurper posted:

I've whored this car around a little on AI, but I'LL DO IT AGAIN:

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, I absolutely loving LUST after your car. The only, ONLY thing wrong with it is that ridiculously long shifter, but you're taking care of that it sounds like.

frozenphil posted:

I typically play some really obscure black/death metal really loud in the summer, and I usually get funny looks. Nothing like a dude in a BMW rocking out to some BOLT THROWER. I usually do this when I can't enjoy my car properly, for instance in city traffic or a long, boring highway slog.

If I happen to break away from traffic though, and especially if Im driving on one of the rare 'curved' roads here in northern Indiana, sometimes Ill turn my stereo off so I can listen to my engine and enjoy my car. Sadly, with traffic around here, this doesn't happen nearly as often as I wish.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Since this is the BMW megathread and our BMW-snobbery can come to the forefront, BMW uses Steptronic. Tiptronic is for VAGs and Porsches. It's kind of like the whole TFR clip/magazine thing.

krysmopompas posted:

It looks like I've been bit on the rear end by the "Stick rests at 5th when cold" problem. I thought it was just worn tranny mounts, but some more research confirmed that it's quite a bit worse.

Has anyone else had to deal with this yet? Doing the labor myself isn't really an option either :(
I've worked on a few Z3s with that problem. It's a pain in the rear end.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

frozenphil posted:

:black101: :rock:

Pretty much the same here. Now that it's been getting warm out, I've been able to drive around town with the windows down and I get very similar reactions. I'm typically in a polo and either jeans or khakis, listening to Sirius Hard Attack or whatever CD I've most recently purchased. I can't wait to get around to installing a PC in here, I hate swapping CDs and my iPod's too small to carry much more than my podcast collection.

Kruzen
Sep 3, 2003

I need to engage in homicidal behaviour on a massive scale. It can not be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.

snowman posted:

Nice color, what suspension are you running?

Thanks! Its glescherblau metallic.

I run Ireland Engineering Stage III's and Bilstein Sport shocks.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Mad Dragon posted:

've worked on a few Z3s with that problem. It's a pain in the rear end.
Any idea how many hours of labor it should add on to a clutch+flywheel job?

The giant 700 page/6 year old Bimmerforums thread on it ranges anywhere between 4 hours, 12 hours, and eleventy million billion hours.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Pimpsolo posted:

I'm interested in this. I really love your ti. Honestly when I was looking for cars it was either an e46 coupe, or 318ti (ended up e46.) If when you've "finished" your project and you want to sell it, honestly consider me first please. I'd like to see more pics of it and what you're doing to it. Sweet ti.

Thanks! You can see some REALLY old pics of it (from when I first finished the swap) right here: http://180customs.net/Gallery/v/Rides/snugglz/ Rest assured that the exhaust (lol racing sausages -- it was free with the engine, what can I say) and other nasty poo poo has been addressed for the most part... Shoot me a pm; I'll email you the current build sheet and what's next. I like the car alot; the insurance is dirt cheap (even with insurance to cover the differential of the mods) and I still get 32mpg on the highway... unless I really indulge in 5th gear, which is also pretty awesome. Where are you from again? You're welcome to come take it for a spin if you're local... and I might be selling it as early as this summer, as I may be working in Asia come fall.

XCPuff posted:

I pay $52 a month on the Ti, with comprehensive and some kind of differential insurance that covers the "total loss" value to $16k (even though the KBB is like $5.5k) with documentation. I'm 23 and I have a spotty record, but the car is technically the cheapest BMW to insure due to the measly 1.9l 4-banger (that no longer resides under my hood).

usurper posted:

Ordered but not installed:
RogueEngineering Short Shift Kit

I just did this on my Ti, and it was seriously the best loving $350 I've spent on the whole car. It just completely changes the entire dynamic of shifting; it really feels like the STI's shifter (maybe not quite as mechanical, but very notchy and predictable, with lots of weight to it). I love your M5, BTW.

Edit -- removed useless information because I can't properly read other people's questions...

snugglz fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 3, 2008

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
It was confirmed today that BMW is will be offering a tii model for the 1-series and 3-series. The 3 series tii due out as early as this fall: M3 brakes, 19" wheels, stiffer suspension, DCT, (LSD?), (Less weight with lighter/smaller engine?).

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/BMW-tii-models-are-go/?content-block=0

We all know that BMW has claimed to reduce power and weight for the F-series, and I really hope they do. Something that weighs as much as my e36 (~3100lbs), but with a little more power/efficiency from a modern engine would be magnificent.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

quote:

However, BMW plans for the tii models to be proper performance cars in the longer run. For instance, the next-gen 1-series, dubbed F20 and due in late 2011, will offer a tii version with a downsized twin-turbo four-cylinder petrol engine and a radically lighter body and chassis, we hear.

gently caress yes, there may be something wrong with me but I find four-cylinder BMWs to be tremendously interesting. Not just the S14 either:

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

I'm going to change the "Lifetime" ATF and do an oil change this weekend. Any recommendations for this? I've been reading through bimmerforums threads about the TF change, and I think I'm going to use Valvoline MERCON V (Specifically recommended by Valvoline as a replacement for Esso LT71141) and Mobil 1 5W-40 (or should I use 5W-30? should I use AMSOIL :downs: ) Also I'm wondering about additives. I've heard good things about Lucas Synthetic additive, and Lubegard for the ATF. Any thoughts on these? Are additives worth it at all?

Edit: Should have mentioned, 2001 330Ci with the 5HP19 ZF transmission.
E2: I'm thinking more and more about the additive, thinking how strict BMW's specs are on oil, is it a good idea?
E3: Crazed_Capybara_Rider on IRC has convinced me the lucas oil is a bad idea, but Lucas transmission might be good.

maxallen fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 3, 2008

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002
This is probably the right place to ask this:

Hello,

I've been researching '95-'99 M3's for over a year now, and I think I've come across a good deal. I've learned quite a bit about the mechanicals from these forums, but I wanted a second opinion on a car that I'm looking at.

The car is a '98 M3, ~150k on it. PO says that RSMs have been done, cooling system and RTABs before he bought it (4 years ago). The car was a lease car in TX to begin with, and is now in Colorado.

The price is $1500-$3000 lower than the $8500-$10000 it should be, here's why:

Spoiler has slight scratch (one spot, down to plastic)
Rock chips next to kidneys (common?)
Front seats basically destroyed (outer bolsters taped together), but back seats perfect
Headliner coming down
Occasionally the OBC reports low coolant / brake light circuit (neither are the case)
Passenger door keyed and touched up

Now, all that stuff together adds up to the discount, and I'm willing to work to fix the issues that bother me. I'd have to drive over 600 miles (EDIT: This is the closest M I've found in a year of looking) to pick the car up, and I'm planning on getting a PPI. I mainly need a second opinion on whether or not I'm letting my M3 lust get ahead of me -- however, I'm not averse to working on the car, as long as it's in good mechanical condition.

I can provide pictures, but I think that I described it pretty well.

Thank you for your time.

Edit:

Pictures!

The good:
The Carfax from when he bought it

The Blackstone report from when he bought it

The (not so) perpetually saggy glovebox.

The front end

The rear end

The right side

The left side

The ugly:

The spoiler

The bumper

The keyed passenger door

The driver's seat

The passenger seat

Am I crazy?

uncrfe fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 4, 2008

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I probably wouldn't bother unless you're okay with/want to fix the bumper/spoiler/door. I would assume you plan to source 2 new Vaders which are not cheap by any means. Mileage is very high too...

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Xenoid posted:

I probably wouldn't bother unless you're okay with/want to fix the bumper/spoiler/door. I would assume you plan to source 2 new Vaders which are not cheap by any means. Mileage is very high too...

The looks aren't a huge deal to me (it doesnt actually look that bad, aside from the seats / headliner), but I'm worried about the mileage / whether or not he's being honest on the mechanicals. Should I even bother with a PPI, or just call it off?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

uncrfe posted:

The looks aren't a huge deal to me (it doesnt actually look that bad, aside from the seats / headliner), but I'm worried about the mileage / whether or not he's being honest on the mechanicals. Should I even bother with a PPI, or just call it off?

Is there proof of the repairs being done?

uncrfe
Jan 17, 2002

Xenoid posted:

Is there proof of the repairs being done?

Good point. He says he has all records on it. I'll see if I can get scans of the receipts or something. (Thanks for the help -- this is the first time I've gone on a search for a car for this long, and had to look at one this far away).

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
My grandpa always used to tell me that the best way to know how a car was treated is to look at the seats.

This one looks like a rape victim. If he was duct taping seats together, I don't even want to imagine how irresponsibly he treated the rest of the maintenance issues. If you could get some pictures of the car around the time he first bought it, you should have a clearer picture.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

uncrfe posted:

Good point. He says he has all records on it. I'll see if I can get scans of the receipts or something. (Thanks for the help -- this is the first time I've gone on a search for a car for this long, and had to look at one this far away).

I bought my BMW from about 600km away, in the USA, so you can be sure I knew what I was getting into. I talked to the guy a few times on the phone to make sure he wasn't a douchebag and was willing to work with me to sell the car. I made sure that he understood my situation, knew that I was serious, and that the car was as being as advertised. That meant full service records for most of the common things and whatever else was done to it.

Even though he was generally a good guy, there were still problems with the car that were never shown to me. A tail light was cracked, but not broken and still working and a fog light was busted. The belts were also completely shot too. Nonetheless I saved about $5-7k~ on the car.

Almost all of those E36 M3s have hosed up seats to one degree or another, but those are probably the worst I've ever seen.

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.
I drive a 2008 Mercedes C200.

:unsmith:

Pimpsolo
Jun 6, 2004

Geek Icon posted:

I drive a 2008 Mercedes C200.

:unsmith:

GET.THE.gently caress.OUT.OF.THIS.THREAD.

uncrfe I know that car is so tempting but I've made the mistake of buying project cars like that. They're not projects in that you're going to have to tear them down, chop off rust, weld in a new frame and do an engine swap project. You see it like "Ah, I can drive it like this for a while, no biggie" Then everything breaks and you never actually get around to fixing the cosmetic stuff. Right when you have enough saved up to get those vaders, the vanos takes a poo poo. Ya know? Don't make the mistake.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The most recent spy shots of the new 7 series:

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Patience. We waited for about six months, scanning craigslist and autotrader, until one (wonderful) loony guy in Phoenix wanted to sell his '95 M3 with 89k mi, pristine interior, flawlessly details and wonderful maintainance records. He was asking $8500.

We paid him $8500 the next day.

The moral of the story is, while there are only a few of them left, there are some original owners who are just now getting rid of their M's. Original owners who are just now selling are almost always the OCD type -- good maintenance history, oil changes on time, BMW inspections completed, etc. Wait for the right one, this one doesn't sound like it.

EDIT FOR CONTENT FROM LATER IN THE THREAD:
---------------------------------------------

Sterndotstern posted:

My rule of thumb when considering any used BMW, especially E36s is: tack on no less than $1500 for parts to refresh the car post purchase.

The breakdown is as follows:
- $300 cooling refresh
- $800 shocks/springs/rear strut mounts
- $250 bushings(FCAB, RTAB, transmission)
- $150 alignment

If you go in expecting the $1500 expense, you won't be let down by the car. If you need someone to install all this stuff for you, and aren't willing to pay the additional cost of that, strongly consider another kind of car (Corolla, Civic, etc) that doesn't have the maintenance requirements.

This checklist has proven true on the last 4 BMWs we've owned. They were all >100k mile cars, though. Honestly, though, the checklist would apply to a 75k mi car, too.
Here is Edge Motorworks' (reputable Bay Area independent BMW shop) checklist:

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=55

Sterndotstern posted:

kimbo305 posted:

I think it's hard to justify picking up a 150-200k mileage BMW _if_ there's few or no maintenance records for it. That'd be the problem for me, anyways. Granted, a newer car with fewer miles is no sure deal either. Just fewer records to be missing.

With $2500, you can pretty much address everything that needs addressing: a Bentley manual, cooling, suspension, bushings front and rear, fluids etc. Obviously you need to test drive the car before buying it, but the base mechanicals are really stout. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 15-year-old M3 with 10,000 track miles on it.

I've had a few E36s, and when I buy a car I always do the following: get a history report, get a few good pictures of it. If it's worth seeing, prior to test driving it, inspect the car with a pair of gloves, a jack, and a flashlight. Check for all the common issues underneath the car (leaking/blown dampers, worn bushings, bald/feathered tires, leaks from anywhere). Before you lower it down, wiggle the wheels to feel for play in the balljoints, then check the wheel bearings.

Check for a lip on the brake rotor edge. Then pop the hood. Check the radiator & the thermostat housing. Check the radiator overflow tank for coolant level, powersteering and brake fluid. Check the oil and air filter.

Then drive it and pay attention for any obvious issues with alignment, transmission, and engine. If any E36 - say, a 210k '93 - can get through this inspection, I say buy it.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 19, 2008

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!
Made a separate thread, but I guess it fits a little better here. I've joined the family!

Picked this 2002 Cooper S up the other day for $12,900 with 41k on the clock. Have to pick up some new tires, but other than that the car seems mint.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Wow, I had no idea MCSes were that cheap now. And that is absolutely the best color combination for any Mini. Nice buy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TheMadMilkman posted:

The most recent spy shots of the new 7 series:

Oh my god, that looks normal, almost bland. :woop:

I'm sure the little details will make a big difference, but I think its a huge step in the right direction. I'm putting my money on the twin turbo V8 from the X6 to be in this when it hits the states.