Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
I finally got the tranny off my 97 540i. I'm faced with 6 torx nuts on the pressure plate. When I put the correct size torx socket in, it seems to be able to 'lean' in the socket. When I put force on it, it turns in the socket and starts stripping. What can I do? Also it seems to require as much strength as I can muster and it's STILL not moving. Is this normal? Do I need to get a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and put my breaker bar on or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I think the Pelican clutch replacement DIY mentions what to do when that happens. I believe they just cut the heads off with a dremel and EZ-Outed the studs after the pressure plate is removed. You might want to give that article a quick read over.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Wow, I had no idea MCSes were that cheap now. And that is absolutely the best color combination for any Mini. Nice buy!

They're not, really. His showroom price was $14,900, his list price on Autotrader was $13,900, and he had it listed on a dealer-only site OVE.com for $13,000, but he sold it to me at his cost from Manheim - $12,900. KBB and Edmunds put it closer to $15k market value, I was just in the right place at the right time!

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I think the Pelican clutch replacement DIY mentions what to do when that happens. I believe they just cut the heads off with a dremel and EZ-Outed the studs after the pressure plate is removed. You might want to give that article a quick read over.

Haha apparently they were hex. There's a difference, sadly. However, even more sadly, I used a hex and it STILL stripped them. What the gently caress BMW? So I guess I'll be cutting the heads off or something. This is loving stupid. Does anybody have any ideas?

Edit: BMW tech suggested that my hex bit is not fitting properly (cheap) and therefore stripping it. I guess I will try higher quality bit or something or ask my neighbor if he's ever around.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 4, 2008

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster
9pm, Ikea parking lot empty, it's raining, I turn off DSC, put the Automatic into 2nd and plan to dori dori around the back. Before I know it I just did some bizarre figure 8 360 degree spin and am rolling backwards before the transmission locks up. Restart the car, all is fine, but I sure as poo poo am confused as to how anyone could drive something 300-500hp in the rain. This is on a 323i and it felt like I was a Caterham sliding on a nonstick skillet.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oh my god, that looks normal, almost bland. :woop:

I agree completely. What's both sad and funny is that the same people who hated every detail on the E65 are lambasting this design for not being 'extreme' enough.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Xenoid posted:

Does anybody have any ideas?

JB Weld trick. Get a cheap socket and JB Weld it to the stripped bolt. Once the JB Weld sets up you can just insert your ratchet into the socket and off she comes. In your case you'll have to have a few sockets, but whatever.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

frozenphil posted:

JB Weld trick. Get a cheap socket and JB Weld it to the stripped bolt. Once the JB Weld sets up you can just insert your ratchet into the socket and off she comes. In your case you'll have to have a few sockets, but whatever.

I like this. So what the gently caress made this happen in the first place? I'm using a 6mm hex which is the correct tool and it STILL strips?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Xenoid posted:

I like this. So what the gently caress made this happen in the first place? I'm using a 6mm hex which is the correct tool and it STILL strips?

lovely bolts. You can substitute cut-off bolt heads for sockets if you can't find any cheap sockets. Just cut the bolt head off leaving only a couple mm of "stub" thread and sink that into the JB Weld. Then you can get a socket on it and turn it that way.

RandomG
Mar 7, 2004
I LUV HONDA <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~ <3 ~<3 ~

3363 posted:

9pm, Ikea parking lot empty, it's raining, I turn off DSC, put the Automatic into 2nd and plan to dori dori around the back. Before I know it I just did some bizarre figure 8 360 degree spin and am rolling backwards before the transmission locks up. Restart the car, all is fine, but I sure as poo poo am confused as to how anyone could drive something 300-500hp in the rain. This is on a 323i and it felt like I was a Caterham sliding on a nonstick skillet.

In general, the more hp the more exact you have to be with the throttle. Also, you must have really given it some gas and not been ready to countersteer if you were spinning at that speed.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

It's not hard to drive a high horsepower car in the rain if your tires aren't poo poo and you're not a moron/driving like a moron.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you
Oh god dammit, the car I would have gotten were I a young professional with a real paying job. Being a teacher, I had to "settle" with a '97 M3. The only other car I would want more is an E34 M5 Touring (:toot: 1 kid down, 1 to go)

You replace the rotors on this beast yet?

usurper posted:

I've whored this car around a little on AI, but I'LL DO IT AGAIN:

2002 BMW M5 with 32k miles.

Recent mods:
Shark injected :rock:
Britalman Exhaust :rock:
Intravee II ipod integration
Updated "MKIV" BMW Nav system w/ DVD
Blacked out ovals (not shown)

Ordered but not installed:
RogueEngineering Short Shift Kit
New stock wheels (current ones are chromed and ugly)

That'll be all of the modifications for a while.

The car itself is a ton of fun. It's a riot. With almost 400lb ft of torque and 400 crank hp, the ability to spin the tires (with DSC off) at any point in the RPM range in almost any gear is just giggly-fun. It's one of those cars that is completely point and shoot.

Sorry for the long line of images, but I firmly believe the E39 M5 is going to prove to be one of the "last great" BMWs; before iDrive, the heavy duty electronics, and the heavy design changes. It's a classic beautiful car that hauls rear end.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Has anyone heard anything lately about the rumored Z2?

(Totally made-up artist rendering from AutoBild attached.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Admirable Gusto posted:

What exactly would the market segment of a Z2 be? The Z4 3.0i already starts as low as 36k, and I can't really imagine BMW starting a new roadster significantly below that, especially since it would be barging in to the S2000, Solstice, Sky, and Miata territory (the upper trims, at least).

If the rumors are true then it doesn't bother me, as more available cars is always a good thing - especially roadsters. But I just don't know that I see the market segment the Z2 would appeal to.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Car & Driver posted:

New BMW roadster to compete in less pricey MX-5 Miata segment. Z2 should sell for less than $30,000 when it appears, most likely in 2010.

BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER, October 2006

According to sources inside BMW, the German automaker plans to launch a roadster priced well below the current Z4, which starts at $36,295. Although the price has not been set, the new two-seat droptop, dubbed the Z2, is expected to occupy the sub-$30,000 roadster segment that is currently dominated by the Pontiac Solstice and Mazda MX-5. The successor to today’s Z4 will remain near $40,000 and will continue to compete against the Audi TT, Porsche Boxster, Nissan 350Z, and Chevrolet Corvette.

The upcoming bargain-basement two-seater will reportedly be based on the chassis and components of the current Z4, but it will measure a mere 151 inches in length, making it about 10 inches shorter than today’s Z4. Styling for the Z2 is in the process of being finalized, but we expect the diminutive roadster to have short overhangs and 19-inch wheels. Our artist’s rendering provides an idea of what BMW might have in store for its Solstice and MX-5 fighter.

Unlike today’s Z4, which is powered exclusively by six-cylinder engines, the Z2 will only get four-cylinder power. However, those engines will range in strength from 150 horsepower in base versions all the way to a turbocharged 300-hp, 2.0-liter four-cylinder in the M-tuned version. An expected curb weight of 2800 pounds should allow the Z2 to make the most of that power. Transmission choices will include a traditional manual and — surprise, surprise — a double-clutch gearbox similar to Volkswagen/Audi’s DSG. BMW plans on replacing its rough-shifting sequential manual gearboxes with smoother DSG-like transmissions before the end of the decade.

To keep costs down, a nearly identical chassis to today’s Z4 will underpin the Z2 — struts up front with a multilink setup in back — but there will be the option of adjustable shocks. The electric power-steering rack from the Z4 will also live on in the Z2, with optional variable-ratio active steering.

Set to go on sale in 2010, the made-in-America BMW Z2 should add some German flavor to a segment dominated by the Americans and Japanese.

I realize that this article/speculation is 18 months old v:shobon:v

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

3363 posted:

It's all about familiarity and control. My guess is that you've never really done anything like that before and just pinned the gas to the floor, cranked the wheel, and hoped it just worked that way. Obviously as you've learned it does not.

If it snows in your area, next year (or if there's one more freak snowstorm) I recommend you take advantage of a local empty parking lot (extra points if the lot has no light poles to cause damage to your vehicle) and just toss it around for an hour or two until you get used to it. You can do the same in the rain, but in snow it's even more fun and causes less tire wear. I have an abandoned department store and a nearly dead mall near by, so I use those whenever I feel the need for sideways time. I can't wait until I get my summer tires, as the Blizzaks obviously don't like any kind of extremely aggressive driving.

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

wolrah posted:

It's all about familiarity and control. My guess is that you've never really done anything like that before and just pinned the gas to the floor, cranked the wheel, and hoped it just worked that way. Obviously as you've learned it does not.

If it snows in your area, next year (or if there's one more freak snowstorm) I recommend you take advantage of a local empty parking lot (extra points if the lot has no light poles to cause damage to your vehicle) and just toss it around for an hour or two until you get used to it. You can do the same in the rain, but in snow it's even more fun and causes less tire wear. I have an abandoned department store and a nearly dead mall near by, so I use those whenever I feel the need for sideways time. I can't wait until I get my summer tires, as the Blizzaks obviously don't like any kind of extremely aggressive driving.

Actually it's a strange thing because I've had more control on snow before. Doughnuts were easy and I could usually do pretty broad sideways sweeping turns, though 1/2 the time I'd take it too far and lose control. I guess like you say, I just gassed it way too much and that maybe my tires are a lot balder now than what they were a few months ago (I think I got some dry rot and deflation problems).

Or someone lubricated the Ikea parking lot, I don't know, when I've unintentionally lost the rear end in the rain before I could catch it at higher speeds. This incident though was just awkward.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Admirable Gusto posted:

The latest totally made up news is that the Z4 will become the Z6 and smaller roadsters will be developed as Triumphs and sold through Mini dealers.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/230405/

Alloyed
Aug 14, 2003

Guinness posted:

What exactly would the market segment of a Z2 be? The Z4 3.0i already starts as low as 36k...
And apparently dealers are having a hard time selling at that price. My brand new car, an 07 coupe:

With the sport package included, and the uber stereo, I still got it for under 36k - sticker was in the mid 40s, and this car was sitting in a mall on display because it hadn't had any interest. It is great fun! This winter was a nightmare, but with the addition of snow tires it was fine.

I do love the idea of a car even smaller than mine, with an M option, though.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Alloyed posted:

And apparently dealers are having a hard time selling at that price. My brand new car, an 07 coupe:

With the sport package included, and the uber stereo, I still got it for under 36k - sticker was in the mid 40s, and this car was sitting in a mall on display because it hadn't had any interest. It is great fun! This winter was a nightmare, but with the addition of snow tires it was fine.

I do love the idea of a car even smaller than mine, with an M option, though.

Thank god you blurred the license plate -- I might have been able to steal your car if you hadn't :jerkbag:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

3363 posted:

Or someone lubricated the Ikea parking lot, I don't know, when I've unintentionally lost the rear end in the rain before I could catch it at higher speeds. This incident though was just awkward.

This could be more accurate than you think. Oil and other various fluids that drip from vehicles get brought back to the surface and spread out during the beginning of a rain storm. If it's light rain, the stuff might not wash away for a while. You literally could have been spinning in oil.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'm tire shopping for the new MINI right now, and am a little confused. Right now I have 225/45/17s on the stock alloys, but TireRack.com is telling me the stock tires should be 205/45/17s. Should those tires be interchangeable on the stock wheels? If so, I'll probably go with 225s again anyway for the extra stability in AutoX, but it seems like there are some better prices in 205s, so I might consider them as well, as long as they should fit.

Big Donkey
Jan 13, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I really really like the exterior and interior of the Concept 1-Series tii that was shown at the Tokyo Motor Show. Autoblog has a picture gallery from the show at

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/bmw-concept-1-series-tii-1/453769/

and Autoblog is reporting that a 3 series tii version is approved for production as well as the 1 series (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/02/bmw-approves-tii-versions-of-1-and-3-series/)

I would probably buy a 3 series version.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Moruitelda posted:

I'm tire shopping for the new MINI right now, and am a little confused. Right now I have 225/45/17s on the stock alloys, but TireRack.com is telling me the stock tires should be 205/45/17s. Should those tires be interchangeable on the stock wheels? If so, I'll probably go with 225s again anyway for the extra stability in AutoX, but it seems like there are some better prices in 205s, so I might consider them as well, as long as they should fit.
I'm pretty sure the stock tires are 205s.

edit: they are

195/55 R 16 87V
6½J x 16 EH2

205/45 R 17 84V
7J x 17 EH2

205/40 R 18 82W
7J x 18 EH2

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 6, 2008

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure the stock tires are 205s.

edit: they are

195/55 R 16 87V
6½J x 16 EH2

205/45 R 17 84V
7J x 17 EH2

205/40 R 18 82W
7J x 18 EH2

Yes, I was able to find that out myself, but I'm trying to figure out why 225s would be on there now, since it's more than 3% off from the stock tires. It seems to run fine, but would 225s be safe again? This is my real question.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

This sounds like a stupid question but my only experience with coolant systems is with ones that have multiple and serious problems, so I'm not sure what is normal.

I was checking the oil on my E36 ('95 M51 2.5 tds 6 cyl) today and I noticed the top radiator pipe was soft (i.e. not much pressure in the system), I turned the engine on for a minute and it stayed soft.

I've not noticed any overheating hi-jinks and the coolant tank is at the normal level, no signs of oil and coolant mixing. I've not done any maintenance of the coolant system myself and as far as I know it's on it's original water pump (I should change it, I know). So is this normal, and if not what problems should I be looking at?

Edit: Reading my haynes (which only covers petrol models :argh: ) I just discovered the radiator is isolated from the engine till it comes up to temp, I'll go out for a drive later and see if it pressures up when it's warm.

I hope it's fine, thanks to the French I hate and fear coolant systems :(

stump fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 6, 2008

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

stump posted:

I was checking the oil on my E36 ('95 M51 2.5 tds 6 cyl) today and I noticed the top radiator pipe was soft (i.e. not much pressure in the system), I turned the engine on for a minute and it stayed soft.

As far as I know the radiator pipes get hard when they get hot.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's totally normal until it comes up to temperature, and then they harden.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

TractionControl posted:

As far as I know the radiator pipes get hard when they get hot.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's totally normal until it comes up to temperature, and then they harden.
Cheers, I didn't catch your post before I edited. I'll take it out for a blast later and check its OK.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

stump posted:

Edit: Reading my haynes (which only covers petrol models :argh: ) I just discovered the radiator is isolated from the engine till it comes up to temp, I'll go out for a drive later and see if it pressures up when it's warm.

I hope it's fine, thanks to the French I hate and fear coolant systems :(

Yup, until the thermostat opens up nothing is going to flow through that hose. Nothing to worry about.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmGQAXgQEg

This is the first video I've seen of the new M-DCT transmission in practice. It seems to work as expected and I hope they start putting it in other cars soon. Which is not to say that I prefer it over a standard manual, but it's better than SMG or a conventional auto.

Here's a video explaining how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapX9AUzfZU&feature=related

KillTron3000
Jul 6, 2004
THIS IS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT AND I BOUGHT A 140 DOLLAR DRUM SEAT
I recently got this 1975 BMW 2002 in absolutely perfect condition. I flew down to Arizona a few weeks ago and drive it back up, some of you might remember this from the thread I posted about it. Unfortunately I lent my camera to my brother as soon I got home and he deleted ALL of the pictures from the trip ( :argh: ), so all I have for now is a couple snaps from a camera phone of it in my garage + one from the PO. I promise I'll update the thread as soon as I get a chance to take more pictures!

lovely camera phone pic:

PO picture:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

KillTron3000 posted:

I recently got this 1975 BMW 2002 in absolutely perfect condition. I flew down to Arizona a few weeks ago and drive it back up, some of you might remember this from the thread I posted about it. Unfortunately I lent my camera to my brother as soon I got home and he deleted ALL of the pictures from the trip ( :argh: ), so all I have for now is a couple snaps from a camera phone of it in my garage + one from the PO. I promise I'll update the thread as soon as I get a chance to take more pictures!

lovely camera phone pic:

PO picture:

Do you go to WWU? 'Cause I absolutely saw this car getting back into Fairhaven from Chuckanut Drive while I was going the other direction, I believe it was yesterday. I had an awful nerd moment when I said, "Holy poo poo, I recognize this car from the Internet!"

KillTron3000
Jul 6, 2004
THIS IS A BIRTHDAY PRESENT AND I BOUGHT A 140 DOLLAR DRUM SEAT

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Do you go to WWU? 'Cause I absolutely saw this car getting back into Fairhaven from Chuckanut Drive while I was going the other direction, I believe it was yesterday. I had an awful nerd moment when I said, "Holy poo poo, I recognize this car from the Internet!"

Haha yeah I do go to WWU, I keep her nice and covered in the fairhaven lot...Chuckanut is too much fun sometimes.

KillTron3000 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 7, 2008

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I figured out my issue with tires - my memory. 205s it is and has always been. I ordered some very well-reviewed Yokohama tires (Parada Spec-2) for this summer and I guess I'll be buying some winter tires this fall. Given how well they are rated for both wet and dry traction, hopefully it will help my AutoCross times for this summer!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

KillTron3000 posted:

Haha yeah I do go to WWU, I keep her nice and covered in the fairhaven lot...Chuckanut is too much fun sometimes.

Ah, Fairhaven. Hippie. I'm in BT - I just started here this quarter. I went to Chuckanut the first time Saturday, then went again Sunday. It's a blast even in my not-SVT, auto, stock '06 Focus but there are a lot of slow drivers there. Like, idle-around-corners slow.

BlackBart
Sep 4, 2006
for my own vanity... '86 325e. ready for summer cruising!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BlackBart posted:

for my own vanity... '86 325e. ready for summer cruising!

Wow, that E30 looks really clean and nice.

I'm impressed.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

2007 328 hard-top convertible, metallic green. Bought it new last summer.

I am enjoying this car a lot, just got it out from the winter storage yesterday.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I know I'm going to get called crazy for this, but here's what I spent the evening installing...

The wiring's still a bit messy, but it'll be moved to an ignition controlled circuit as soon as I find an antenna mount that will handle my driving and can permanently run that line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
So I drove my dad's 2008 X3 for the first time a few weeks ago, and it's changed my life. I'll be in the market for my first car later this year.

Problem: I can't afford an X3.

What's out there that will replicate the X3 driving experience (handling-wise especially) that costs a lot less? I'm looking at something < $26k CAD, and I don't care whether or not its an SUV.