Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Moruitelda posted:

E: Now, shopping around to try to get ahold of 4 17" wheels that are going to work with regular tires, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of distinguishing between the two based on online advertisements. What the gently caress?

Like I said, call a place that isn't run by douchebags. You're probably getting to people who, because the car had runflats on it stock, refuse to put non-runflats on it. There's no physical difference in how they mount, except that the non-runflats are easier to mount since their sidewalls aren't as crazy-stiff.

Tire shops can be a huge pain in the rear end. I had Costco turn me away because the tires I was asking for were one tiny tick down on the weight-handling scale from what Volvo shipped out on my '88 240.

TireRack has lists of their official installers on their site - pull it up for your area and start calling. Don't even say what you're driving, just say you have four 17" tires that need to be mounted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

RMEuropean has it for $290.23 but I don't know if they ship to Canada. I can't say enough nice things about this place for OEM BMW parts. They have always been the cheapest, have great customer service, and I usually get free 2 or 3 day shipping depending on how much I spend. That last part won't be applicable to you, because the free shipping is only for the lower 48, but it should be pretty reasonable.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=247

I've used http://www.autohausaz.com/ before and they ship to Canada. I'm not sure if they have the parts you need but they had almost everything for my e30.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

RMEuropean has it for $290.23 but I don't know if they ship to Canada. I can't say enough nice things about this place for OEM BMW parts. They have always been the cheapest, have great customer service, and I usually get free 2 or 3 day shipping depending on how much I spend. That last part won't be applicable to you, because the free shipping is only for the lower 48, but it should be pretty reasonable.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=247

Yeah I went with them. They had killer prices on everything except the shipping but it totalled less than anyone else I had found. Came to $361.87 including the pilot bearing and tool. I have to saw 2 of the pressure plate bolts off and I was told someone would machine the flywheel for me, for free, that knows how to do dual-mass.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 9, 2008

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Like I said, call a place that isn't run by douchebags. You're probably getting to people who, because the car had runflats on it stock, refuse to put non-runflats on it. There's no physical difference in how they mount, except that the non-runflats are easier to mount since their sidewalls aren't as crazy-stiff.

Tire shops can be a huge pain in the rear end. I had Costco turn me away because the tires I was asking for were one tiny tick down on the weight-handling scale from what Volvo shipped out on my '88 240.

TireRack has lists of their official installers on their site - pull it up for your area and start calling. Don't even say what you're driving, just say you have four 17" tires that need to be mounted.

Found an installer that will do it for $100 for all 4 tires, not too bad considering the sidewall on it. A lot better than 4 new rims, which is what Dunn and Towne Mini had me convinced was going to be necessary. Thanks for the help, IOwnCalculus.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
Propagating the latest tii rumor: turbo charged four cylinder engine with an 11k rpm red line for the new 3 and 1 series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/09/rumormill-bmw-working-on-twin-turbo-four-cylinder/

Jan 18, 2006

by Fragmaster

ynotony posted:

Propagating the latest tii rumor: turbo charged four cylinder engine with an 11k rpm red line for the new 3 and 1 series.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/09/rumormill-bmw-working-on-twin-turbo-four-cylinder/

That sounds so obnoxious I love it. The next generation 1, 3, and Z seem like they're going to be really interesting cars. Hopefully more of that light-weight stuff shows up in this generation too.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

3363 posted:

That sounds so obnoxious I love it. The next generation 1, 3, and Z seem like they're going to be really interesting cars. Hopefully more of that light-weight stuff shows up in this generation too.

Yah, I'm really hoping for a lightening trend as well. I was pretty disappointed that the 1 series isn't lighter than it is. I understand all the safety gear, but still. Also I hope this engine makes it into the rumored Z2, if both of the stories are true. Man 11,000 rpm - imagine the noise it would make :dance:

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Jonontherun posted:

Yah, I'm really hoping for a lightening trend as well. I was pretty disappointed that the 1 series isn't lighter than it is. I understand all the safety gear, but still. Also I hope this engine makes it into the rumored Z2, if both of the stories are true. Man 11,000 rpm - imagine the noise it would make :dance:

Sounds like a Honda to me. One of the reasons I like my 540 so much is because it makes more torque than the 4.0L V8 in the new M3. And it doesn't happen at 38,000RPM either.

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

Auu posted:

It's a bit dicey, but when I did the fan delete, I managed to wedge a long (almost 2ft long) flathead screwdriver between two of the pulley bolts to wedge it in place, then wrenched the main bolt off while holding the screwdriver in place. It did take a while to make this work.

In other words, yeah, the $25 wrench might not have been a bad purchase :)

We managed to break one screwdriver and bend another, then break the plastic fan pulley, so your mileage may vary. It came off in a second with the right tool. :)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jonontherun posted:

As cool as that initially sounds, think about this:

That blog is claiming that it's making (at best) 260hp with twin turbos at 11,000RPM.

Potential problems:

- twin turbos on a four cylinder? Why?
- 260hp over 11,000RPM? That works out to what, 140lb-ft of torque?
- maintenance schedule akin to a bike, probably

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

I've got what might be a stupid question. I'm doing an auto to manual conversion right now in my e30 (1986 325e). I was wondering if someone with a manual e30 could take some pictures of the brake fluid reservoir and how it feeds the primary clutch cylinder? Drop me a pm if you would prefer to email them rather than post them.

I'm saving up everything to post one big project thread later one, but I've already replaced all the brakes, the starter, the flywheel, and I'm getting ready to mount the clutch. I'm missing the bolts to attach the basket to the flywheel however, so this is stalling me right now.

Future plans include replacing the cooling system, painting the car, and putting on some lowering springs.

Have you gotten this yet? I can run downstairs and take a picture, let me know!

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

Have you gotten this yet? I can run downstairs and take a picture, let me know!

Not yet, if you could I will e-love you forever!

e:

Krakkles posted:

That blog is claiming that it's making (at best) 260hp with twin turbos at 11,000RPM.

Potential problems:

Those are good points - I mean I have no idea why you would run 2 turbos on a 4cyl, unless they're sized for quick spool and good boost, but on a 4 cylinder that revs to 11,000 I think that would be dumb. Who knows how reliable this article is, but if they can pull off something that gets great mileage with low weight and good power it would be awesome.

Jonontherun fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 10, 2008

maria4286
May 10, 2005

by Fragmaster
I just got an 85' 318i a few days ago. Drove it 600 miles from California to home in Oregon -- was willing to do this because a relative was trying to get rid of it for practically a steal. E30s and E34s being my favorite-looking bimmers also contributed. The only problems are minor dings and a cold start problem.

Whenever I start in the cold (which is often), I have to rev the engine for 4 - 5 minutes at 2000 RPM or else it just stalls. I don't even really know where to begin. I have a vague feeling it has to do with the fuel delivery, but it's one thing I have never worked on before. I can live with this problem but I'd rather not.

I'm being sparse, but I really have no clue, and I only need to be pointed in the right direction. I want to fix this problem before I deal with the other more minor issues, such as a little peeling paint, a dent in the hood, and a cracked grille.

greginno
Jan 7, 2004
What's the general consensus here regarding the purchase of an '04 M3 with 50K mi on the clock? I know the warranty is out and inspection II is looming, but drat is she a sexy ride. I'm currently in an '04 330xi and every time I push the pedal, the M3 pops up in my head and laughs a little bit at me.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

Hirayama posted:

What's the general consensus here regarding the purchase of an '04 M3 with 50K mi on the clock? I know the warranty is out and inspection II is looming, but drat is she a sexy ride. I'm currently in an '04 330xi and every time I push the pedal, the M3 pops up in my head and laughs a little bit at me.

I'd go for it..with full service records...or an E39 M5. Both sexy, sexy cars.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

Not yet, if you could I will e-love you forever!

click for bigger

Honestly, I'm not quite sure exactly where you want detail so I just took a bunch of pictures until my battery died. If you can point out on this one where you want a better pic, I'll see if I have it. If it involved getting underneath the car, it'll have to wait until Sunday...

edit:
here's another

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 10, 2008

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007
I have an obscure, and probably stupid question.

I picked up a new differential drain plug for a fluid change on my e46. I noticed small quantities of white crusty stuff in a few spots on the threads, so I carefully scraped it off.

Although I'm almost positive it was just surface corrosion, it just occurred to me that I may have scraped off some sort of thread lock compound. Can anyone confirm that there shouldn't be any sort of threadlock on a diff drain plug for this car?

edit: VVV Thanks very much. I'm so paranoid of screwing something up on this car that I'm second-guessing myself at every opportunity.

Taymar fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 10, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Taymar posted:

Can anyone confirm that there shouldn't be any sort of threadlock on a diff drain plug for this car?

Confirmed. It's just corrosion.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows
My dad is picking up an E92 M3 this friday, and I'll be driving his E46 M3 until I can sell it for him (assuming it's by the end of the month, or he'll sell it himself). I'll be sure to get pictures of it when I go with him to pick it up friday. Hopefully before the E46 is goe I'll get a chance to get it together with the E92 and his (my ex) M coupe for some pictures.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Sooo, let's talk mods on our BMWs! What have you done, and what are you planning on doing?

So far on my '92 325is:
-BavAuto Springs (Kind of wish I went with Eibach or H&R, but these are fine for the price)
-Bilstein Sport Struts and shocks
-M3 front and rear sway bars with the M3 drop links up front.

Still on the list:
-Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms. I need these. Really soon. I've almost worn out my current tires with only 12000 total miles on them, and 3000 since I changed suspension. Yay 5+ degrees of rear chamber. I'll be going with the $180 steel ones from BimmerWorld, as that seems to be the best deal going.
-Budget SSK (anyone want to sell their stock E36 328i or M3 shifter to me?)
-CAI of some sort, maybe DIY because to hell with paying $200-300+ for one. I just want the induction noise.
-Ultimately, Schrick intake cam and swapping the stock intake cam to the exhaust and getting a custom tune.
-Farther down the line I think I'll replace the springs with Eibach or H&R and replace the swaybars with some SwayBarbarians, but that won't be until everything else is taken care of/I get mad at the handling/I come into a lot of money.

If the latter happens expect a project thread with me building a 300hp NA monster out of the nonvanos M50.

Most of the money I have spent on this car (I stopped keeping track) has been spent on maintenance, and there are still a few more parts I have to replace. Once all that is taken care of I can start spending money on some modzzzzzz.

omgitstheinternet posted:

Hopefully before the E46 is goe I'll get a chance to get it together with the E92 and his (my ex) M coupe for some pictures.

The three BMWs I want most. :(

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My 325e has eibach springs which I'll be changing out to H&R Sports in a few weeks, the bilstein shock I'm keeping though. My Blizzaks will be replaced by Hankook RS2's next week after (hopefully) our last snow fall. I have a MarkD chip that's going in this weekend as soon as I can run my gas down far enough to fill it with 91 octane.

Further down the line I will be supercharging the M20, but that will be in a few years and I don't plan on doing anything else with the motor until then just because nothing else seems worthwhile, but I am putting on a new exhaust this summer along with new swaybars (22/19 front/rear) when I can justify the $400. I also have a Z3 shifter that I'll be putting on to shorten the shifts a bit.

Most of the money I've spent on the car has been maintenance related, but that is changing!

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

click for bigger

Honestly, I'm not quite sure exactly where you want detail so I just took a bunch of pictures until my battery died. If you can point out on this one where you want a better pic, I'll see if I have it. If it involved getting underneath the car, it'll have to wait until Sunday...

edit:
here's another

Awesome! Thanks very much!!

I was hoping to also see the end where the line runs into the primary clutch cylinder. I can totally wait until the weekend. Is that just a rubber line that runs down from the reservoir? If I can avoid bending up some tubing that would be great.

As for the mods question, my e36 M3 is totally stock, but I do have a different set of wheels for autocross. Theyre Kosei K1s and this year will be shod in Bridgestone RE01Rs. The e30 is going to be mostly stock for now, with lowering springs and shocks as the first mod. Following that I was considering doing the whole megasquirt thing but that is down the road.

BagHutch
Aug 18, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Potential problems:

There is a guy on 1addicts (1series forum) who posts as scott26 and posts on other BMW forums just as Scott or other combinations there of. But he seems to work for BMW by going on forums and dropping hints about BMW's future plans. He has a very good history of being correct and what he is saying now is right in line with the auto blog article accept he hasn't said anything about going to 11.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

miklm posted:

We managed to break one screwdriver and bend another, then break the plastic fan pulley, so your mileage may vary. It came off in a second with the right tool. :)

I recommend using a Park Tool Head Wrench 32mm. Put it on the reverse-threaded nut and hit it with a hammer.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BagHutch posted:

There is a guy on 1addicts (1series forum) who posts as scott26 and posts on other BMW forums just as Scott or other combinations there of. But he seems to work for BMW by going on forums and dropping hints about BMW's future plans. He has a very good history of being correct and what he is saying now is right in line with the auto blog article accept he hasn't said anything about going to 11.

If you remove the 11,000rpm thing, that removes the last two problems - torque will jump upward, and the maintenance schedule becomes more managable.

I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it really wouldn't make sense. Bike engines work well in bikes for a reason and similarly, aren't generally put in cars for a reason.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

I was hoping to also see the end where the line runs into the primary clutch cylinder. I can totally wait until the weekend. Is that just a rubber line that runs down from the reservoir? If I can avoid bending up some tubing that would be great.

As for the mods question, my e36 M3 is totally stock, but I do have a different set of wheels for autocross. Theyre Kosei K1s and this year will be shod in Bridgestone RE01Rs. The e30 is going to be mostly stock for now, with lowering springs and shocks as the first mod. Following that I was considering doing the whole megasquirt thing but that is down the road.

As far as I can tell (it was pretty dark in my garage), it is a rubber hose that runs from the reservoir to the cylinder. I'll try to remember to look at it this weekend.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I stopped by my friends shop to get my fenders rolled and to check on his 2002 project.

oh god how did that get there

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ06whaKZPs

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What do you guys think of the new X6?

Personally Im torn. Its too SUV, but looking at it, from certain angles, its more like a car with big wheels, ala the AMC Eagle. But with a twin turbo V8.

I think it looks good, but I want to hate it... and yet I cant... oh god help me make up my mind, internet strangers :(

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom
^^ I think it's stupid and pointless. I don't feel like BMW shouldn't be building crap like that unless it makes shoving that V8 into all their other cars cost effective.

two_beer_bishes posted:

As far as I can tell (it was pretty dark in my garage), it is a rubber hose that runs from the reservoir to the cylinder. I'll try to remember to look at it this weekend.

Awesome thanks! I really appreciate it. Also if anyone else has an advice for me as I go through this swap I would like to hear it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys think of the new X6?

Personally Im torn. Its too SUV, but looking at it, from certain angles, its more like a car with big wheels, ala the AMC Eagle. But with a twin turbo V8.

I think it looks good, but I want to hate it... and yet I cant... oh god help me make up my mind, internet strangers :(

I look at it as a proof of concept and test platform for the new engine. If they had given it a normal stance, it would have competed too closely with the Mercedes Benz CLS. They must think there is some life left in the SUV market.

Even lowered, I don't think it will look like a car. Its not a CLS, so the people who like those will still buy them. I foresee low sales and general confusion, rather than rabid adoption and adoration.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

CornHolio posted:

Ahh ugly ugly ugly! I was talking to a couple sales people at the dealership and they all hate it and none of them think it will sell well at all.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

omgitstheinternet posted:

Ahh ugly ugly ugly! I was talking to a couple sales people at the dealership and they all hate it and none of them think it will sell well at all.

I'd bet that they (and you and most of us) don't fall in BMW's target demographic though. Before my parents got thoroughly sick of owning an SUV they went for a Toyota Harrier (grey market Lexus RX300) mainly because it looked thoroughly modern (this is around 2002).

I think BMW has come up with a superior compromise in the X6, since it looks really good and subjectively appears to be a better attempt at reconciling the car and the SUV. At least, that's what BMW's marketing department believes the boomers will think.

bobhope
Oct 13, 2004

BRAAP BRAAP
-snip-

bobhope fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 7, 2015

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
Do e34s have fold down rear seats to increase trunk space? I'm thinking about getting one in the future and that feature might be enough to make my decision.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Jonontherun posted:

I was underneath my car today to try to figure out why my car dumps the contents of my power steering system every time I drive the loving car and I took some pictures of everything I was able to. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you tomorrow.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was underneath my car today to try to figure out why my car dumps the contents of my power steering system every time I drive the loving car and I took some pictures of everything I was able to. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you tomorrow.

PM sent, you internet hero you! :clint:

Taymar
Oct 11, 2007

E30User posted:

Do e34s have fold down rear seats to increase trunk space? I'm thinking about getting one in the future and that feature might be enough to make my decision.

I believe they were available on the e34, though not standard on all models (mine didn't have them, but browsing some classifieds turns up some which claim to have them).

I have another question - I'm noticing a faint grinding or rubbing feeling, felt mostly through the pedals when turning the car (e46, manual transmission, mechanically stock) on almost full lock at low speed. If I leave it in first gear and let the car drive at idle in a tight circle, I can feel it. It's quite faint and not really audible.

It had its front control arm bushings done 3k miles ago, and has runflat tires in case that's relevant. I don't know if it could be wheel bearing(s), the car has 40k miles which I'd guess is a bit low for that to be an issue.

I'm not overly worried about it but I'd like to rule out the diff as the source. Is there any test I can do myself to check this out?

miklm
Dec 7, 2003

What a cunning fellow.

bobhope posted:

In other news, another reason I love my 328is:

Park the cruise control at 75mph and the car does this (it actually went a bit higher). It's awesome!

I don't get close to that in my 328is. I averaged 24.5mpg on my last trip up to TN, but I spend a lot more time at 85 than 75. I also need new O2 sensors. Oh, but my trip computer thingy there says I'm doing 27+, so you might want to double check that using the old fashioned manual way and see what your real fuel economy is.

As for the X6, Jalopnik has a recent couple of articles on it, and I thought they summed it up well, giving it a 3-star rating overall, liking some things and hating other (including that damned automatic transmission that pretends its an F1 flappy paddle box and fails).

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
The thing that astounds me is that my 93 325i got 18mpg in town, 30mpg highway. My 97 540 gets 20mpg in town, 30mpg highway. Pretty sweet huh? Both manuals of course. That's just 'cruising' with a couple of hard pulls in there for good measure (because I can't help it, especially in the 540).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Xenoid posted:

The thing that astounds me is that my 93 325i got 18mpg in town, 30mpg highway. My 97 540 gets 20mpg in town, 30mpg highway. Pretty sweet huh? Both manuals of course. That's just 'cruising' with a couple of hard pulls in there for good measure (because I can't help it, especially in the 540).

I suspect it says more about the 325 than the 540 ...