Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Ether Frenzy posted:

PS4S are insanely better than the comparable Continentals though.

No debate at all! But sometimes you have to recognize 99.9% of your driving is highway/street. Also any summer is better than an all season, and Im selling the car sometime this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/04/bmw-will-transition-to-using-i-designation-only-on-electric-vehicles/

URL says it all really no point in clicking the link, but dang.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I bought another blue car

Now I have too many wagons

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

ADINSX posted:

Whats the ballpark for a fair price on a manual BMW 325 or 328 in the Seattle area from the late 90s? I'm swearing off new cars and looking for a semi-reliable daily driver and this seems like a good candidate if I can find a well maintained example. And speaking of which, what are the common issues I should look for and ask about in terms of maintenance?

I think the usual BMW stuff like cooling system parts made out of dissicated egg shells. Water pump, gasket leaks. Don't get a convertible. Avoid rust obviously. Are you looking at just E36s? IMO the E46 from 99-04 is overall superior, easier to find (at least in my area) and the pricing is similar. $5-7k for not super ugly medium mileage cars, $10k and up for lower mileage, very clean, dealer markup cars. Manuals are more expensive but worth it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
One of the things I've learned from my E39 is that unless the PO can prove that it has been done, and importantly done with OE parts, the cooling system will need doing ASAP. Do not accept cheapo parts. I basically spent what I paid for the car on fixing poo poo / doing preventive maintenance, so that really has to be a part of the negotiation. There are good lists on the different BMW forums of what part manufacturers are recommended.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

MortLansky posted:

I think the usual BMW stuff like cooling system parts made out of dissicated egg shells. Water pump, gasket leaks. Don't get a convertible. Avoid rust obviously. Are you looking at just E36s? IMO the E46 from 99-04 is overall superior, easier to find (at least in my area) and the pricing is similar. $5-7k for not super ugly medium mileage cars, $10k and up for lower mileage, very clean, dealer markup cars. Manuals are more expensive but worth it.

MrOnBicycle posted:

One of the things I've learned from my E39 is that unless the PO can prove that it has been done, and importantly done with OE parts, the cooling system will need doing ASAP. Do not accept cheapo parts. I basically spent what I paid for the car on fixing poo poo / doing preventive maintenance, so that really has to be a part of the negotiation. There are good lists on the different BMW forums of what part manufacturers are recommended.

Ok thanks y'all, and re: E46s, I haven't given them much thought to be honest, but I'll check them out. I really like the look of E36s and a late 90s car seems like a good blend of nostalgia and practicality (vs something like an E21, which is what my dad drove when I was growing up so its a very sentimental car to me, but is basically 70s tech).

I've been seeing non-m3s go for around 5-10k, one dealer wanted 11k for a pretty nice example but looks like it's gone. Just making sure that wasn't outrageous. I'm also looking on cars and bids and BaT and might be willing to take a bet on something sight unseen. I've mentally factored in a few thousand in maintenance so that isn't a huge concern to me.

I wasn't seriously considering it but any specific reason to avoid the convertible?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Elite Taco posted:

I've had good luck with amazon cupholders and ebay cupholders. What color do you need?
That's good to know. I'm looking for a gray one. My driver's side one broke because of course it did.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ADINSX posted:

Whats the ballpark for a fair price on a manual BMW 325 or 328 in the Seattle area from the late 90s? I'm swearing off new cars and looking for a semi-reliable daily driver and this seems like a good candidate if I can find a well maintained example. And speaking of which, what are the common issues I should look for and ask about in terms of maintenance?
This was exactly where I started in my thinking on BMWs and I ended up with an E92. Fewer maintenance headaches (although it's a BMW so it's not going to be a trouble free car,) a lot safer, and much better creature comforts. They're not particularly expensive on the secondhand market even for a manual. You can even change the iDrive screen into a Carplay one these days.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ADINSX posted:

I wasn't seriously considering it but any specific reason to avoid the convertible?

i had an e30 convertible for awhile. convertibles from that era are going to be less comfortable (big rails running down the sides of the car to replace the stiffness of the roof), feel somehow both more flexy and oddly stiff/dead (same), they're heavier, and you'll almost definitely have issues with the top fully sealing. driving with the top up will always feel like you're in a lovely pillbox and every time it rains you'll have little piss spots on your legs

i'd only consider one if i were in an area where i could go top down pretty much all the time

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Gotcha, Ill stay away from convertibles and Ill look into e46s; but I draw the line at a screen of any kind thats a big reason Im looking to downgrade, I miss the feeling of driving with just some dim red gauge lights at night, and I can always put my phone on a mount when I need gps directions

(Yes I know you can shut screens off but the old fashioned radio buttons illuminated as well is part of the ~aesthetic~)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Most e46s do not have screens, if that helps. Think only the expensive nav option had a screen which was pretty rare (and also complicated the whole stereo wiring setup iirc).

Every time I think about selling my e46 I take it for a drive and then the sweet sweet screen-free experience with the smooth inline 6 and manual transmission draws me right back in.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I absolutely love my E88 convertible, but then I'm not terribly picky and mainly love being able to hear the happy burbles the exhaust makes better.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ADINSX posted:

Gotcha, Ill stay away from convertibles and Ill look into e46s; but I draw the line at a screen of any kind thats a big reason Im looking to downgrade, I miss the feeling of driving with just some dim red gauge lights at night, and I can always put my phone on a mount when I need gps directions

(Yes I know you can shut screens off but the old fashioned radio buttons illuminated as well is part of the ~aesthetic~)

I have a single hump MT e91 you could think about...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Elite Taco posted:

I have a single hump MT e91 you could think about...
This is the way

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The answer, like most questions around here, is "Get an M3"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxwa76Dnwg

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
what if I simply have 2x 325is?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

well the 650i does seem nice

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

:hmmyes:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

ADINSX posted:

the feeling of driving with just some dim red gauge lights at night, and I can always put my phone on a mount when I need gps directions

:hai:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I prefer the e39 over the e46 just for the simple fact usually an e39 is mostly taken care of if it's the i6 and I've seen some terrible ratbox e46s

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

theultimo posted:

I prefer the e39 over the e46 just for the simple fact usually an e39 is mostly taken care of if it's the i6 and I've seen some terrible ratbox e46s

This is my feeling as well from looking at ads, and pretty much all E36's here are either super lovely or like 316 compacts. I guess the E39 is much more comfortable car as well.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
The e39 rules real hard, imo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
everyone should buy an E39

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I bought an E39 as an impulse buy and now it's my favorite car I've ever owned.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Elite Taco posted:

The e39 rules real hard, imo

yep

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yep

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I bought an e61 instead and it's changing my life rn.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Polishing a turd...after doing all the vanos, valve cover plugs coils and valvtronic motor and sensor to get her running right.
Finally got around to putting on the h&r lowering springs and bilstein b8s on. Also completely replaced all front control arms and tie rods. Fake bbs 18 inch deep dishes wrapped in pilot sport as. Drives like a dream until someone buzzed by me with the same car but with a turbo blow off noise today. Now I'm looking into stupid poo poo.

This is what my old springs looked like lol.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 4, 2024

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I just bought an E60, sorry. It's white, sorry again.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

An e36 would be fine but an e30 in good shape would be even better. Just put a bid on this :getin:

I'm hoping the fact that it's the 4 cyl will keep the price down a bit; I've noticed that the 318s are in better shape in general since it's not the performance model (though this one is the is trim so it should have the limited slip differential).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ADINSX posted:

An e36 would be fine but an e30 in good shape would be even better. Just put a bid on this :getin:

I'm hoping the fact that it's the 4 cyl will keep the price down a bit; I've noticed that the 318s are in better shape in general since it's not the performance model (though this one is the is trim so it should have the limited slip differential).

beautiful

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

The head unit is described as cd ready :allears: I wonder what that means, if I win maybe I can track down some oddball factory upgrade from eBay

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that car deserves a used 20 year old blaupunkt head unit (laudatory)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elite Taco posted:

I bought an e61 instead and it's changing my life rn.

Are you chris harris?

I regret not owning an e39 but the newest one is 20 years old right now.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that's just getting past the break-in period

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ADINSX posted:

Holy poo poo, that needs to go to a good home. Thats perfect.

Ive also heard the 4-cylinders handle a little better because theres less weight on the nose, but its not like my 325iS handled badly.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

harperdc posted:

Holy poo poo, that needs to go to a good home. Thats perfect.

Ive also heard the 4-cylinders handle a little better because theres less weight on the nose, but its not like my 325iS handled badly.

Yeah but there's 7 days left and we're already at 9100, it might turn out too much for me but we'll see. I'm gonna stop bidding for now and check it out on friday.

edit: oh wow yeah I'm not gonna win this one; this e30 318is, which is so similar I thought I was looking at the wrong ad until I saw the mileage, went for nearly 30k just a month ago. I was probably going to top out around 10-12k (considering it'll cost another 3 to ship it to me)

Oh well, looking at the results here a e36 318 might be the way to go here if I don't care about power, we'll see...

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 5, 2024

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Are you chris harris?

I regret not owning an e39 but the newest one is 20 years old right now.

lol no. My e61 is blue.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

harperdc posted:

It's true, getting a bit of weight off the front end helps the steering a noticeable amount. It lightens things up and gives better feel imo. Took my 4 cylinder E30 for a rip last weekend and it's always shocking how light all the control inputs are and how good the feedback is compared to something more modern, 06 cayman in this case.

Drop the E28 off for fluids, tires and a once over tomorrow as preparation for The Vintage in a week and a half.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I drove my e39 today and it was good

You all should drive your e39s and if you dont have an e39 you should get one and drive it or failing that you should drive someone elses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Today I learned about water ingress on the e6x chassis!

Pretty sure the drain on the hood cowl on the driver's side got blocked and the water rode in on the wiring loom/hood latch and pooled in the driver's side rear footwell. We got 3.5" of rain last night. Sheesh. Now that I have the seats and a bunch of trim out, I'll spend the evenings this week deep cleaning as I reassemble once I'm sure it's dry.

Alternatively, I have a Natural Brown e61 interior mostly ready to ship if anyone wants to pay an enormous amount of money for it. Good lord those seats were heavy!

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 6, 2024