Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

OrangeFurious posted:

What's wrong with them? I've heard the shitheap argument, but it's usually light on details.

Traditional BMW failure points, window regulators, etc, plus (from what I hear) extremely expensive parts, and lots of points of failure. 7-series cars have the most electronic gizmos of any car they make, and their electronics are BMW's weakest point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Well I found a new issue or i found the cause of an old one. I haven't had power steering for about a month, got a new PS Pump last week, hadn't gotten around to installing it though, and today while checking my fluid levels, I noticed the idler pulley was missing, and the channel for the bearings had worn a groove in my belt. Any thoughts as to how much tension a PS Pump needs? I can still see it turning, but I don't know if it's under constant slip or something. The other pulleys are turning fine, water temp hasn't risen, and the alternator seems fine.

tl;dr Can a belt with enough tension to turn everything else turn a power steering pump.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Welp. Replaced it and still no power steering. I wish I had a camera on me, it blued the inner portion of the pulley, the belt had nubs and is missing half of them, it's worn down to the fibers in some places, it's cracked and has a really nice ridge on it from the bearing race.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Speaking of red E30s, there is a gorgeous looking E30 for sale near me:

http://tinyurl.com/bnlw9o

I don't know if it has service records and I haven't visited it personally, but assuming it doesn't have any records what would be a reasonable price to offer?

Weren't you told to find something that was both cheap AND reliable? An 18 year old E30 is not going to do that.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Well, I was doing my pump swap on Thursday and I found I have the wrong pump. There's no economical or reliable way to get an LF-20 pump for the 2001, but I keep reading it's possible to fit the LF-30 pump if I switch the high pressure output hose. I just want to make sure, if anyone out there has done a rack swap, are the fittings for the output hose on the rack going to be the same? It sounds like it is, and I hear lots of people talk about swapping E46 racks for E36 racks, I just want to make sure that I'll get this right.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

OrangeFurious posted:

I've been looking at a lot of '01 (ish) 5 and 7 series cars lately. Can someone clue me in as to the difference between these two displays? So far as I can tell it's almost totally random which one a car is going to have - it doesn't seem to tie in to the year, model or any option package I can identify - what gives and what's the functional difference?

According to realoem, on the 3-series, #1 was used until MY2002, and #2 is MY2002+.
Edit: No idea if they have the same nav software.
Edit 2: Here's some info, no idea what use it is to you, but... http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation

maxallen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 26, 2009

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

usurper posted:

You definitely want the wide-screen NAV. maxallen is correct, but they made that widescreen switch mid-year I believe. There's still a tape deck in the widescreen, that upper eject button will have that screen slide down 3-4" and there's a hidden tape deck back there. Pretty sure that the CD option is a 6-disc trunk unit in ALL of these versions.

That part shouldn't matter as you'll quickly want an Intravee / Alpine iPod connector setup to hook an iPod directly into that display. It works really well.

RealOEM shows a Cassette, Mini-Disc (Japan I assume), or CD drive behind it.
Widescreen: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=65_1181&hg=65&fg=45

Other: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=65_0491&hg=65&fg=45

Based on the dates in the wiki, I think the cassette is a MkIII, not a MKIV. Still, go for the widescreen if the car is good. Also, it looks like the GPS unit itself is the same regardless of display, so you may be able to retrofit a newer unit if needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Lufiron posted:

Get the part # off of the old LP-20, since there are two different LP-30 pumps available. Here is a bulletin that relates to what you're trying to do:

Thanks for this info. I got the swap done on Thursday, and it's working perfectly. There was a bunch of air in the system Thursday night and it was liking to growl, got up the next morning and the whole reservoir was empty. No leaks though, just had that much air.