Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
Hey OP, can we talk about 6-ers in here? Anyway, I'll use this post to write about the 733i that I used to own, since there hasn't been enough BBBMW love. It was an E23 from 1979 and was mighty special. Driving it was like floating in a cloud of power accessories and soft suspension. The ride was surprisingly precise yet distant, like a teutonic dentist. At the time, I was not used to power brakes and had some rather hilarious moments of trying to control 4300 pounds of grandpamobile after locking up the brakes. On the highway, it got ~17 mpg, in the city it was rather worse at ~12. I don't miss it mostly for this reason.
Concurring with an earlier poster, it was definitely in the 144K+ camp, and it showed in odd ways. In this age range, expect things like the AC to not work, and smogging it was an interesting experience. Fortunately, it had had cats put in instead of the criminally stupid thermal reactor system that it had shipped with. The temperature sensor crapped out once, leading to the fuel injection going full rich and another time, the timing chain skipped by a link, neither of which makes it run well. The automatic transmission was a weak point in BMWs of this era, and mine was no exception. It started getting stuck in first until driven for a while at which point it would give a clunk and drive normally. This progressively got worse, and eventually I rid myself of it after my mechanic informed me that it would probably need a rebuild and I had gotten the engine back into my other car.
This is me halfway through a valve adjustment on it, if waffleimages feels like sharing.

Frozen Horse fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
so, now that waffleimages is happy again, this is me halfway through adjusting a 733i's valves for the first time:

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Even though the 6-series was left out of the original post, I'm going to post some pics of my current BMW because this is the BMW thread, and I happen to like my E24 rainy-day mobile.

The odometer reading is off, as it started working again when I replaced the instrument panel circuit board. How involved is replacing the oxygen sensor in this car? I've got a new one kicking around and have been struck by the urge to burn less gasoline (currently averaging about 24.7 mpg in highway travel).

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007

CornHolio posted:

The original M1 concept

I think I speak for us all when I say that I would do dirty, dirty things if it resulted in the production of, and my accession of this car. Regarding the 2002 / Frua comparison, I think that the 2002 looks much better as a car of its time and deserves great accolades as the car that more-or-less launched the sport compact sedan segment. On the other hand, the Frua grille, if put on the 2002, would have resulted in improvement.