Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The most recent spy shots of the new 7 series:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oh my god, that looks normal, almost bland. :woop:

I agree completely. What's both sad and funny is that the same people who hated every detail on the E65 are lambasting this design for not being 'extreme' enough.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Latest spy shots of the 3 series update:

I absolutely LOVE the way that the e90 drives, but always felt like the styling was a bit off. The facelift seems to fix most of my complaints, and has me wondering if I can somehow scrounge up $50k in the next 3 years.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

^^^^ It could have a slow leak, or just be on the verge of failing. Hard to say without actually looking under the hood.

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/car/649753482.html

"Needs a Radiator."

So would I regret going and getting this for $900?

I'd go for it. If it dies you can sell it off as a parts car. And if it really only needs a radiator, you have an awesomely fun car to drive.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

AriocTheVagrant posted:

Sad as I was to see her go, I picked up a 1999 540i Sport in spectacular condition.

Very nice. Driving an e39 540i is what made me fall in love with cars. It was the first time I ever drove something that seemed to literally beg you to drive faster. In other words, watch that speedometer carefully. ;)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

My E36 328i says to use a minimum of 89, but I always put in premium (I think its 93 around here). I know its not 'better gas' and I'm usually the first to tell people to use the lowest grade their car tells them to, but it just seems that premium should go in there.

I'm really interested in this, too. Am I wasting my money, or is my car really made for the higher-octane Euro stuff?

Every engineer I've asked about this has responded by saying that anything above the minimum is a waste of money. The octane needed relates directly to the engine's compression ratio, and the correct octane rating is needed to make sure that the gas/air mixture ignites at the right time and burns at the right rate.* I've also read that using gas with too high an octane rating can actually reduce your MPG.

*If I'm wrong here, somebody please correct me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mungtor posted:

You're not "wrong", but it depends.

Most modern cars with fuel injection, knock sensors, and distributor-less ignition will advance the engine timing until knock is just barely detected and then back off a certain amount. Advancing the timing means that you can get a more complete burn and more power out of the fuel you're burning or, analogously, burn less fuel to achieve a given power output.

So, if your car is able to advance timing enough to take advantage of higher octane you may see better mileage. In my 540i, I would consistently get about 1.5 mpg higher using 93 octane than 89 (according to the on-board computer). Since I was generally getting in low 20s with my commute, that was about a 7% increase in mileage for a 3% price premium (gas over $3/gal, $0.10 per gallon difference).

My GTO however, gets random mileage regardless of what I put in it, so I fill it with 89 most of the time. Occasionally I'll put in 93 to see whether I can get better mileage out of it, but not consistently enough to make a difference.

This is good information, thank you. It doesn't surprise me that I was told what I was, since the people I talked to were mechanical engineers, but none of them did any work with car engines.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TractionControl posted:

I have never ever been impressed by The Truth About Cars.

They did give the 335i a good review. The reviewer rated it as one of the best 3 cars he's ever driven.

But ya, 90% of the stuff on that site is crap. And the other 10% is only good because I happen to agree with it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Daveh posted:

I can't wait to get my hands on it when it's passed the 1200 mile mark.

That should take what, 2-3 days? (It would take 2 if I bought one). Anyway, congrats on your dad's great looking car, steal it as often as possible.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I replaced the Harman Kardon amp in the wife's Mini yesterday. Basically all four speakers went out, and the only sound was a popping and hissing, and apparently the h/k amp is very prone to failure.

A brand-new one is $1209 from the dealer, apparently.

I found some guy on https://www.northamericanmotoring.com willing to part with his (very) used amp for $220 shipped. Installed it, it works great, but I can't seem to part with the old, broken amp since its so much money new. God Im such a packrat.

You may be able to find an electronics repair shop that can repair the HK amp. Then you can claim you're holding onto it as a backup, or sell it for a lot more than your new amp cost.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wwb posted:

^^^^Definitely. Upgraded from a 1993 Camry Station wagon (with extraneous roof rack adding to drag) to 2002 530. I have so far managed to get away with warnings. 530 fast.

Please tell me you got the sports package. Better yet, post pictures. The e39 530i is just such a great overall car.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yet another tiny niche segment for BMW to move into!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

protmind posted:

How much is this sucker going to weigh?

According to BMW, curb weight is between 3200-3500 pounds.

http://bmwblog.com/docs/2009_z4_roadster_technical_data.pdf

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Are E30s money pits? I was under the impression they were quite reliable and that parts were fairly cheap as long as you didn't go through the dealer.

"Reliable" and "reliable for an 18-year-old car" are two very different things.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Carbon Deity posted:

I was behind a huge Home Depot rental truck, merging onto a major road from a stop. He started pulling forward and looked like he was taking off, so I looked over my shoulder to see if anyone was coming. I guess I took off in first before I was fully turned back around because the instant I saw ahead, my vision was full of truck rear end.

Ugh, I've done this same thing before. Fortunately for me, it was in a Fiat Punto. Regardless, I feel your pain.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sterndotstern posted:

Not at all -- just harder to resell.

I'm not sure this will really be an issue since the one he's looking at also has the sports package. The manual/sport package combo fairly rare and one enthusiasts look for.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This interior is making my loins tingle. My second car was an '84 528e and I loved it to its literal death. I want to make poor financial decisions.

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/2799855

I'm surprised I've never seen that around town. There's no way I would have missed it, and bountiful is a pretty small place.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I typically prefer the way black masks an oversized grille. Like Lexuses look pretty dece in black.

That front in all black is an atrocity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It somehow looks worse on the dark cars and I don't understand how.

The contrasting colors camouflage this terrible shape. And I will never unsee those lips now.