Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I'm in the market for a daily driver in LA. I know pretty much nothing about cars, but I talked to a few buddies that have/had BMWs and they rave about them. I looked a bit into the new 1 series and I'm very intruiged.

Anyone else (I think I saw 1 person mention it) in the market for the new 1s? After a bit of internet research, I gather that there is a waiting list for these on the order of 3 weeks to 1+ months. Also, I had a difficult time finding a comparable car in this price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Hey all, just posting to say that I pulled the trigger on a 135i. This is going to be my first car purchase after countless hand-me-downs (93 Explorer, 00 Hyundai XG300, and most recently a Lexus ES330 which my dad wants back). I test drove both a 128 and a 135 and initially I was looking to get the 128, but I found a 135 manual with no frills and only the sport package. I fell in love with the 135 after the last test drive and I signed the papers for it's shipment from FL to CA. I'm loving excited!

Anyone have any tips for a Bimmer-neophyte? I only plan on driving this car on the weekends since I walk to work. I picked a great tip from these forums about documenting fill-ups and keeping every receipt and piece of documentation so I could get a better price if/when I decide to sell it. Is there anything I should be doing to keep my new baby in tip-top shape and to retain resale value?

Man, every time I think about driving that car, I crack a little smile.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
After having driven my new 135 for about a week and 300 miles, I still get this giant poo poo-eating grin on my face every time I fire my baby up.

This is certainly the fastest car I've personally owned. The torque is incredibly smooth and the range is astounding; there is virtually no turbo-lag whatsoever and although the 135 doesn't have the neck-snapping torque of other similar vehicles, it picks up speed at a very consistent rate until you realize you're already at triple-digit speeds. It's an extremely civilized ride (though the run flats and sport suspension definitely makes you feel small potholes and cracks on the road) and the car handles superbly. The clutch is much shorter and a touch lighter compared to my buddy's '00 Civic EX.

I got my 135 with only the Sport Package option in Jet Black. The Sport Package adds the M steering wheel, M short throw, 18" wheels, and the oh-so-comfortable sport seats. The car came in at 38k before fees and taxes and I think this is an amazing deal for the award-winning N54 engine. Adding options skyrockets the price and before you know it, you'll be in the 50k range- Definitely not as hot a deal in my opinion.

If anyone is in the market for a 2-door, sporty car, or BMW, definitely check this car out. It's lightning quick, nimble, and definitely a head-turner (I've gotten many thumbs up while driving). Add some after-market piggyback tuners or even a Dinan tune, and you're looking at 12-13 second quarter miles.

I love this car.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

Anyone have any experience with the new M3 Sedan? I'm looking at getting one as a daily driver. I won't be taking it on a track or doing any modding to it or anything.

Have you checked out the Bimmerfest M3 forum? Lots of good info there if you haven't. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112

Edit- And you have to mod it! It's an M3! :)

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
How come you are looking at an M3 for a daily driver? Not saying that the M3 wouldn't make a fun DD, but the new 3s are no slouch either. The 335 has a great I6 300HP turbo engine with a more civilized drive (especially if you forgo the sport suspension and run-flats) plus with the money you save, you can get more options or even a hard-top convertible.