Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hey thread; always been a big BMW fan but historically never able to afford 'em so I don't know ~that much~

Some of you have seen my post about my Focus RS clutch detonating in other threads already. I'm heavily leaning towards selling it in the near future once its repaired. CarMax online appraisal made a pretty drat good offer. The F31 is very high on my short list of cars I'm interested in.
If I understand correctly, both the 320 / 328 have the infamous N20 but the 330 has the B48 which seems pretty well regarded?

What in particular should I be looking out for? Is the M-Sport package "mandatory" or does it not really make that much of a difference?

I found 3 different 2018's for sale that have my attention. One has the M Sport pack, Exec & Premium packages and is on the high end of my budget.The other is a good $7K cheaper but it's unclear to me which packages it does/doesn't have. The last is kinda in the middle of price / mileage, also unclear what packages it does/doesn't have.

The one with the m sport pack also has the red interior, which I am extremely horny for :negative:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what you actually want is an e91 with an n52 and a 6-speed

I was considering these, exactly for the manual option, but I'm kinda warming up to the idea of dailying an automatic recently. And not even because of the clutch issues lol.

My main concern there would be all the rubber poo poo bound to go by.. whatever mileage a 10+ year old car's gonna have associated with it

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's mostly because the shifts are smoother for my dog with her head out the window :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

The B series engines all seem really good so far. There are some BMW specific VIN decoders out there that will tell you what packages the car shipped with from the factory. I can't remember what the M sport package added on the F series cars but the others always end up wrapping must haves like heated seats into them. I feel like it's hard to go wrong with anything with the B series in it.

This site details what's included, but without driving the two side by side I wonder how much I'd really care.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Ok so the date of introduction varies depending on your country but generally the B engines appeared with the LCI cars. The pre-LCI 320i and 328i have the N20, and the LCI 320i and 330i (the 328i designation was retired) both have the B48.

All the B engines have an excellent record when it comes to reliability and do not have any known common faults. The B38 and B48 were first used in MINIs starting from early 2014 so I think it’s fair to say if there were any common issues we would know by now. My 320i is over 4 years old now and coming up on 48,000 miles and it’s been smooth sailing the whole way.

M Sport is the arguably the best trim to go for. It looks the best aesthetically and you’ll get the M Sport suspension and brakes.

Plus M Sport brakes seem to last a really, really long time. My front pads still have an estimated 25,000 miles to go and the rears have 50,000.

Thanks for the info!

I'm actually really warming up to the idea of the cheaper E91 now that I've been thinking about it though. Found a nice, clean low mileage one but it'll probably be gone by the time I could buy it if I were to pull the trigger. Annoying I need to wait to get the clutch repaired / replaced first.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone know what motor is in the 2016 328i? Wikipedia says the '12 - '15s have the N20 but it makes no mention of the years after that :shrug: Maybe it was ITT, maybe it was a Facebook group but I think someone told me it has the B48 but I can't recall for sure...

Got my FoRS back from the mechanic yesterday... and traction control has unexpectedly come on multiple times while taking some mild corners at very reasonable speeds :sigh: And while CarMax made me a really good offer ~a week ago, when I try to get it appraised again they're telling me to bring it in in person.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 2, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah gently caress, looks like it's still the N20 according to C&D. drat. Found a sick looking Melbourne Red one for a decent price a few hours away from me :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=22V119

:lol: The previous PCV recall parts are also defective and catch on fire.

pre:
Subject :	PCV Heater May Short Circuit
Make	Model	Years
BMW	128I	2008-2013
BMW	3 SERIES	2006-2012
BMW	5 SERIES	2006-2010
BMW	X3 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	X5 SAV	2007-2010
BMW	Z4	2006-2011

Huh I just found a super clean looking E91, only 19k miles on it too. Thinking about bidding on it, is that dumb with a new recall announced?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, BMW is going to do the recall for you for free. It might be dumb for other reasons though.

Fair :v:

H110Hawk posted:

I would be more worried about maintenance history than some easy to fix recall recall.

Yea I've thought about that too. Everything just sitting mostly un-used for a decade, I imagine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Auto, unfortunately

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

And they say coupes aren't practical

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:thunk: I found an F31 that's like $10K cheaper than any other listing I've seen in my ~3 weeks of market watching. It's got 100K miles, which is 20k more than the next highest, but still, $10K in depreciation for 20k miles?? No reported accidents, but the carfax is pretty sparse for that high mileage but maybe the owner just DIY.

Extremely tempted to ask my parents to take it for a PPI, but they're busy people and that'd be a lot of time out of their day. Maybe it's light on options packages, but can anyone more familiar with BMW pricing think of any reason this might be so much cheaper? I know US hates wagons but even still...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The last time I fell to goon pressure I bought this unreliable pos RS :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Do you have a build thread for your E91 M3 project?

That with a 4.4L S65 in a metallic blue is dangerously close to dream car daily driver for me.

Oh man, is that a thing that's happening here? I was just daydreaming about doing some kind of swap on the E91 I'm picking up whenever the dealer finishes fixing it lol.

They're replacing the cylinder head cover gasket, and then while driving it a CEL came on for some random O2 sensor. I'm overly paranoid after my RS but starting to get second thoughts about this and thinking maybe I should just grab the F31 they have instead, but ugh I don't want to spend that much money on something I'm probably only going to keep for a year.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No stick to the wagon so I can live vicariously through your posts.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah, got'chya.

First night with my new wagon was great, yesterday & today the trunk lights stay on and the car beeps at me every 5 minutes that my trunk is open. It's can definitely jiggle it a little bit from the outside, but it remains latched :allears:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea just rear end something

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

"Easily accessible for verification" is some loose wording for sure

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That looks too dark to be Isle of Man Green, is it something different?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Full Collapse posted:

I wish I paid better attention in college. :smith:

Only like $18K to go on my $730/mo student loans 😩

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I've been loving my E91 since I got it a month ago. It's not fun to drive but I'm really enjoying driving it, aside from all the inconveniences that come with driving a 14 year old car. I've still been getting BAT / C&B / Autotrader notifications for E91s and F31s since I was car shopping last month and a '19 Estoril Blue 330xi just popped up with the M Sport pack and drat it I want it. My biggest concern though is that it has an accident on the title, showing both front & rear damage as "minor damage" from carfax. But my FoRS had "minor damage" and with how many problems that thing had I'm extremely reluctant to buy something else with an accident on the title :thunk:

I initially got the E91 just to tide me over until I could get a GR Corolla, but like I said I'm actually really loving just having a chill comfy cruiser after a decade of low profile tires and stiff rear end suspension. I've been straying away from the idea of trying to get the Corolla just because I don't super want a third hot hatch in a row. Maybe I should just be patient and wait for an F31 without an accident, but man a great color + great option list + last model year + low miles is mega tempting :negative:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g40080102/2023-bmw-m3-edition-50-jahre/

Move over Isle of Mann Green, that purple is loving hot 😍

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

kill me now posted:

if you look at 4 series sales numbers, they are doing about as well as they ever did, and that's in the middle of new car availability hell.

Actual buyers don't seem to hate it as much as the internet would have you believe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/press-releases/2022-07-01/bmw-of-north-america-reports-q2-2022-u-s-sales-results - interesting 3 series sales dropped off a cliff this year; down from 14K Q2 last year to 6K this year.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Similar boat; I recently got my first AT in like 17 years. Although I rarely miss it because city driving is dumb. Only time I miss it is when I want to floor it and pass someone on the highway but I gotta wait ten seconds for the thing to downshift enough times.

Have never bothered with the manual shifter in it though :shrug: Honestly I'm not even sure how they're supposed to be used lol.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fknlo posted:

I’ve never gotten in another manual car and thought that I’d rather have an automatic because the shifter is “bad”.

I test drove a 6MT Golf AllTrack, I don't recall my opinion of the shifter itself but the clutch was awful. Had zero bite, just total rubbery uncommunicative terribleness.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a economy car.

For sure, but it was un-engaging enough that I definitely thought "Why even bother going through the motions?" and if I bought one at all I probably would've opted for the auto instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, like I said after 17 years of driving stick and 9 years of sporty sticks... I'm surprised at how much I've been enjoying this lazy automatic E91.

I am definitely trying to figure out how to make 2 cars work while renting though, because on a few occasions I've missed having a stick / a car that feels special.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^Do you find it gets "confused" at low speeds? Like I'll be decelerating coming up to a red light and then it changes green and I'm back on the gas and it feels kinda sluggish, unhappy and or confused by the 2-1-2 shifts. Not sure if that's par for the course for a 2008 automatic or if I should be mildly concerned about the 14 year old transmission :v:

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does I definitely make a 😬 kind of face

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Which car are you talking about?

I'm not sure what they have, I assumed the same as mine, but mine is... whatever's in the pre-LCI 328 :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I hate how much I have to turn the wheel in this thing, that's probably the only legitimate complaint I have with the vehicle in the ~3 months I've had it.

It also has fun old car problems where you pop it in Reverse, then back to Drive and the driver side mirror doesn't point back upwards so I need to fix it literally every single time I back out of/into my driveway, and there's some sort of "leak" in the roof where it makes a small whistling noise above 40mph. Water doesn't get in when it rains though, or at least there's no sign of water getting in :v: Closing the sunroof shield thing largely blocks out the whistle, and I've almost always got music on but the times I don't it's really annoying. Actually wondering how much it's going to drive me nuts on my first road trip with it in September.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Did you replace it yourself, or pay to have that done?

FCP Euro made it seem like that's pretty much a guaranteed "failure point" on the E90's when I was doing some research before buying mine.

I've been debating just paying to have it replaced before it becomes an issue, but it's been an expensive loving year so I don't wanna :v:

Watched a video on how to do it, but I dunno I just have zero confidence in my DIY skills lol. Seemed like a messy job too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I really really want to bid on this but low miles, 6MT, rare color combo... This is gonna go for way way more than I would ever spend on a decade+ old daily driver lol.

Not my favorite Green of theirs, but I'm such a sucker for brown interiors

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The guy who posted this to BaT is also posting in the E9x group on facebook about it, you could probably ask him questions there if you're interested in it

Like I said I'd love to own it, but I'm just not paying close to $30K for a ~12 year old wagon :v:

Unless it were a CTS-V :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

E9* / N52 owners - Gonna do a 2,000 mile road trip in September with my 127k mile E91. Any suggestions on things to do before the trip?

When I bought it in April I did have the valve cover gasket replaced, as well as the spark plugs. I've been debating just getting the oil filter gasket replaced before it's an issue but I need to see what that costs first :v:

I went on a 20 mile drive out of the city last Thursday, on a drive I've done many times, and the car randomly started vibrating quite harshly on the highway. No warning lights or anything but I pulled over and look around and didn't see anything wrong :shrug: Got back on the highway, floored it, felt fine until back up to highway speeds. Got off the highway and it was fine. I've put another 80 miles on the car since Thursday, including doing that same drive again, and it's felt fine since.

It's been a long time since I've owned a car with this many miles on it, and then it was a family owned one so I knew its history quite well. So "high miles, old age, used" is kinda unfamiliar territory for me :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure what else to say :v: I was leaning more towards suspension than engine myself, but I guess I can't really say why I think that.

I didn't feel it in the steering wheel at all, but the whole car itself felt like it was vibrating/shaking. The engine did seem a bit louder than typical too. No issues with power delivery or braking. And like I said it's felt back to normal since that night.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

did it change with wheel speed or engine speed?

Whether I was doing 60 or 70 it felt fairly consistent. Didn't happen immediately upon getting up to highway speeds, but kicked in maybe after 5-10 miles on the highway.

TheBacon posted:

I assume thats a bit of road you have driven before and it was normal? I get the same thing on a couple stretches of highway/roads here when I moved that freaked me out at first before I realized it was just more talkative on the rain grooving when it is done a particular way

Yea, it's a route I do 2x per week for a few months now. And I just went out for the same drive yesterday morning and it felt fine.

I do always hate that random stretch of road that causes your car to drive differently causing a brief mild panic :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It is AWD actually :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I feel like they'd really have to gently caress up the X3/X5 to put themselves in any sort of bad position.

Could their "order intake" be lower simply because Dealers aren't taking orders from customers and are instead telling customers, "You'll buy whatever we're lucky enough to get allocated"?

:toot: Coming home from my morning coffee run and the E91 just did not want to accelerate, felt similar to what I thought was just the transmission being confused in the past but this was just straight up accelerating out of a gas station rather than like go-brake-go. Then "Service Engine Soon" light came on, and now when I'm at a complete stop the whole car vibrates something fierce. I think I've read the fuel pump can be prone going on these?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not really knowledgeable about E46s but that's basically what I spent on my E91 with half the miles :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hmmmm I didn't realize their production years overlapped lol. Was posting from my phone and couldn't quite make out the headlights to tell :v: