Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I got bored with my E90 M3 even though it's one of my favorite cars ever. I decided to give automatics/DCT a fair shot to see how I'd like it.
I can NOT relate.

quote:

If anyone is interested in a well-sorted E90 M3 manual, let me know. 84K miles, had the rod bearings done around 65K miles, A/C condenser fixed around 75K miles. I have the parts to do the throttle actuators but I was waiting for the OEM parts to fail before replacing (so far so good). Michelin PS 4S tires have 4K miles on them.
So tempting! I have a giant pile of parts to put on my e91 and a driver for when it's out of service would be v handy...

Good luck on BaT/Carsandbids!

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Pre-LCI is a bit more muted, but yeah... what bacon said.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I hear that. My e91 does the grocery getting and scratches the tinkering itch for the time being.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Get an e91, imo.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Well poo poo - Apex announced new wheels and I guess I'm gonna wait for them. Neat.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm gonna DIY my 3SIM at some point in January.

Re: solid independent shop recommendations in Dallas? Specifically the Richardson zone?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Don't lock the door.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
My car doesn't autolock...

I think the two pull unlock/exit is likely mechanical, but I can't really speak to more recent models.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is xDelete safe to use with my issue? I'm fine with turning this into a RWD car till I sell it if that means buying a $150 xDelete license instead of a $3800 repair job.

I would absolutely give it a try.

I've been meaning to give it a go on my e91.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I bought a new tailgate actuator.

p sure I'm going to retrofit a soft-close actuator into my driver door.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
lol I bought my e91 a year ago for $7k.

I have spent at least $10k on parts that I've installed or parked in my garage and I can see a v clear path to another $10k this year...

this hobby owns.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

TheBacon posted:

After disassembling and replacing a significant chunk of N52 this weekend, I do not ever want to replace a water pump or thermostat housing again, I will absolutely pay someone to deal with those gently caress off hoses behind a subframe you can’t even see what you are trying to jam on.

But we had fun!

Also, the other lesson we learned is that xdrive makes everything harder and maybe we can do without it.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

ThirstyBuck posted:

Preventative or did yours fail? I have this repair already mentally noted as a shop fix.

I think what really made it harder was 1) xdrive and 2) I bought a coated hose from ECS thinking "heck, this may be better!" - all of the OEM spec hoses just slid right on.

We went in after the starter, replaced that, did the 3SIM, replaced the radiator with a CSF, OFHG, water pump, t stat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and the hose between t stat and water pump.

Was a decent bit of work, and we paid some tuition learning wtf. Having two sets of hands really really helped.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I did Bimmerlabs and bought the Bimmer Geeks cable. Once I got the computer to connect with the car, it was ez pz. Craig Beamer covers it real well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBg9VEcHxQ&t=126s

Also, the Auto Hut dude has a good video as well.

I'm pleased with the results. The car is much more alert/responsive. At this point, I'll do MILVs and a tune and be done on performance. After that I'll shift my attention to wheels/tires/brakes/QoL stuff.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Do the voltage regulator when you have the intake manifold off the car. It's super easy. Also, replace the starter when you do the manifold, along with the OFHG, no sense pulling the manifold twice.

Another good thing to do while the manifold is off is the main ground strap.

Just loving do the things you can now reach on the right side of the motor lmao.

I doubt I've posted pics of my car ITT, but I'll get around to it.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

glyph posted:

Did you ever post pics of your car?

Here you go:

Here's what her guts look like:

I bought this car for $7k in Feb of 2021 and I have absolutely loved it. What a great car.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
If I had the option to purchase either:

B3 Touring > M3 Touring

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Re: Speedometers: here's what mine looks like:

Just finished a long rear end drive to colorado and really enjoyed having coolant temps on my p3gauge and oil temps on the cluster. I did the same drive last year in my new-to-me e91 just kinda crossing my fingers. Overhauling the entire coolant system also increased my peace of mind.

Question: my car appears to slowly consume coolant (like several ounces over the past 3 months or so, no big swings in the floating indicator, just a slow reduction in level). Do I have a drip drop leak or does my car boil off coolant?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I replaced my OFHG when I did the 3SIM/starter/water pump/tstat/radiator/hoses.

The car consumes oil slowly as well.

I plan to do the valve cover gasket/milvs/etc in the fall, perhaps I'll find a slow leak when I address that side of the motor.

Either way, the car absolutely kicked rear end in touring mode with my family of four for 900 miles. The first drive to get groceries after I unloaded the car and removed the roof box was like an different animal, SOOOOO much more juice for passing.

upload image to url

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
They a good cars.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
e91s are great cars.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Elite Taco posted:

e91s are great cars.

Update on this. I am now considering selling my e91 and purchasing a cool rear end e61

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Alarbus posted:

.. are you buying another N52 and making Bacon do the work a second time??

I did both of my E90s at the end of ownership, so when I got the F30 I did the M tune within like 2 months. Tuning then selling a car is miserable, not to mention finding all the 3 stage parts *twice*.

The potential e61 is a 335/n54. It will come with impeccable maintenance records and has been very well cared for.

Pros:
- Larger seats
- More cargo space
- "more luxurious"
- N54 (more power)
- Lol larger engine bay (to work on the dang n54)
- Car will likely appreciate
- Potential s85 swap brain worms fantasy

I've been building my e91 as the ultimate family road tripper. The e61 is farther down that path and will serve for longer as my kids grow. My wife will never drive either car (she doesn't want to learn to drive stick)

Cons:
- Requires spending money to acquire/I already own a badass e91
- Literally everything will be more expensive for this car
- N54 maintenance/reliability relative to the n52
- Dramatically smaller parts pool relative to e91/e90 chassis

Basically I can just keep fixing up my e91 (I'm well on my way), or I can get the larger (more rare) car with slightly better full family road trip characteristics and start climbing upgrade mountain again.

After a night's sleep, it's a tough choice! Strong bias toward doing nothing and continuuing to enjoy the e91 I'm already really happy with.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Nevermind. I'm gonna keep on tricking out my e91 and just keep putting money in my Singer 964 piggybank.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yep - it's a manual

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29148912&postcount=6554

It will probably be on BaT soon.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Sab669 posted:

E9* / N52 owners - Gonna do a 2,000 mile road trip in September with my 127k mile E91. Any suggestions on things to do before the trip?

When I bought it in April I did have the valve cover gasket replaced, as well as the spark plugs. I've been debating just getting the oil filter gasket replaced before it's an issue but I need to see what that costs first :v:

I went on a 20 mile drive out of the city last Thursday, on a drive I've done many times, and the car randomly started vibrating quite harshly on the highway. No warning lights or anything but I pulled over and look around and didn't see anything wrong :shrug: Got back on the highway, floored it, felt fine until back up to highway speeds. Got off the highway and it was fine. I've put another 80 miles on the car since Thursday, including doing that same drive again, and it's felt fine since.

It's been a long time since I've owned a car with this many miles on it, and then it was a family owned one so I knew its history quite well. So "high miles, old age, used" is kinda unfamiliar territory for me :thunk:

Just finished a 2000 mile road trip in my e91. was great.

Buy an e46 spare tire kit and take it with you.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

KillHour posted:

People do care what their car looks like but they have different tastes than internet nerds. Ask a random person why they picked their car and "it liked cute/cool" is a really common answer.

Yep. <3 my e91

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
At $4k or so I'd so go for it and just absolutely flog it till it dies. Good looking car.

At $9k.... lol.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I am trying to find a BMW Multi-Trailer.

No luck yet.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Go drive it.

Offer $5k.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
lotta lol ITT

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'd say a $5k e36 is a fine choice over the usual NA miata. Go for it.

M3 is entirely a "be this tall to ride" territory. With a deece amount of wrenching, you can keep the rest on the road.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Super sucks :(

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Yes, simply and easily acquire a different, brand new, and entirely suitable vehicle.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
4 doors or gtfo

(unless it's the clown car, then please proceed)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Yes, that would be my advice. There are places you can go that specialize in selling vehicles to consumers, where he would likely find a suitable replacement.

Interesting.

KillHour posted:

But BMWs with E in the generation name are the only cars that exist.

Thank you!

Full disclosure: when my e91 eventually dies somehow, I'm going old porsche. v0v Unless I somehow figure out how to get a B3/B5 wagon here...

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Everything appears to have gotten expensive.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I would drain and measure the oil in your shoes.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

Shoes aren't good for oil volume measurement. Use a catch pan. :buddy:

ack!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Here's the dang e61 I thought about buying back in July

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2010-bmw-535-66/