Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Unfortunately (in aesthetic terms) I think pedestrian impact standards may preclude a return to the shark nose.

Plus I can't imagine that the shark nose is more aerodynamic and with CAFE standards being what they are every little bit of cD matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

OrangeFurious posted:

The current 6 series is pretty sharky. Not as much as earlier models, but the effect comes across.

Oh yeah, you can definitely get the suggestion, but you're not gonna have an E34 or even E30 style front going on.

I think the current 6 looks like rear end but that's probably because it looks really fat to me other than the nose. BMWs look so unfortunate these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I for one cannot wait until they replace the E90 with something that's not as godawful looking but whatever, I just got an E82 so I'm not looking to buy any time soon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ynotony posted:

Yes the original e90 is so unfortunate looking... but the remarkable thing is I think the facelifted E90 looks solid. Add the M-Sport cosmetic package and it is near dare I say lust worthy. It is incredible what the effect of a few carefully targeted tweaks can have.

When the used market grows and the dust settles, I reckon a sizable gap will appear between the two versions.

I don't care for the creased hood that they added. I would prefer to own a sedan, but again, the E90 looks like butt. The E92 looks a lot better, but I couldn't think of a compelling argument for a young male living in the city buying an E92 over an E82, except maybe the 3-series interior is a little nicer (I give no fucks).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wait, the G35 backseat was worse than the E46? I've sat in both and the G had a bit more room, unless you're talking two doors.

I personally couldn't tolerate the G35's interior for the amount of money you spend on it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh yeah the two door is real small. Are you looking at the first-gen G35?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Do you hate the looks of the 2nd gen G35? Is that out of your price range?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

VibrioCholera posted:

They're still awkward compared to BMW standards but for some reason the E60 has really grown on me. Car looks ridiculously clean. I'd love a sedan.

Do moonroofs still break in 2005? I wouldn't be too afraid of the car but for some reason moonroofs love breaking.

You can always handcrank them shut and then leave them alone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wamsutta posted:

I don't work at a car wash, or own a BMW, but I've noticed the "incredibly dirty front wheels" phenomenon on BMWs for a while now. Never thought to post about it.

It's incredibly obnoxious and I'm on a lease so I'm stuck with OEM pads.

My wheels currently look like they're powdercoated gunmetal. They're silver. I just haven't had time to even wipe them off with a rag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gigButt posted:

What? Why? You can replace the pads with performance ones. There is no way that would void a warranty.

Well yeah, I could. I could also accept the free ones that BMW puts on my car for me as part of no-cost scheduled maintenance and wear items.

The dust is annoying. It's not spend time money and effort on something that's free annoying.

edit: If I was spending money on OE pads, yes, I would not purchase them. But OE pads + dust are not worse than IAM pads + time + money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

washow posted:

Awesome car really! I wasn't really thinking about e90 because of this notion of 2 door = faster, but drat! Now I'll get either one

What the hell?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You do know in fact that the E92 is not significantly faster than the E90?

I have also never quite understood the appeal of the E92 when the 1-series exists... unless you really want AWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rscott posted:

Bigger back seat/trunk?

I figure if you're buying the E92 over the E90 you're already punting a lot of functionality on the backseat thing.

Trunk's a concern I guess but I haven't had much trouble with mine. It'll fit a pair of golf bags and some extra bullshit.

edit: I guess if I was in the market for a coupe I just couldn't consider paying that much more money for extra weight and marginally better functionality of a thing I'd already compromised on and a thing that I don't use that much. Of course, I clearly chose along those lines.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

washow posted:

Yes of course I loving know that.

You posted 2 doors = faster, it's a legitimate question.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I really, really enjoy my 128 and I can't imagine how much loving fun the same platform would be with more power and totally reworked everything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm curious what fuel economy would be like in the 1-series with that engine and how much of an improvement it'd be over the 128.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Trunk?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I own one of these puppies so I figure I'll chime in.

CornHolio posted:

While my car is getting fixed, the dealer gave me a 2011 128i as a loaner, for free. Some notes:

- I've driven a 135i and it was stupid quick. The 128i also feels stupid quick. I would be comfortable daily driving it as long as I got the manual. The automatic isn't very good and the manual mode is a bit slow.

It's pretty good as a daily with the stick. Honestly, most of my commute is highway so it's not like I feel that I'm missing out on the power with the 135, and torque is available pretty low and the engine likes to rev. The 6sp manual is nice.

CornHolio posted:

- The car is very comfortable though the ergonomics are a little odd. Some of the buttons on the steering wheel are not clear as to what they do (though this woulod be solved by reading the user manual, of course) and the cruise control stalk cannot be seen behind the steering wheel without craning one's neck. Minor nitpickings, though.

I don't have an issue with the steering wheel buttons (I think you'd get adjusted to that in about a day), but I agree with the cruise control stalk. Some controls are difficult to see and hard to operate by feel. Also, in my typical driving position, the little light on the wiper stalk that tells you the rain-sensing wipers are on and off is screened by the wheel, so I have to crane my neck to see. Wouldn't be a problem if they handled snow better, but when it snows they sometimes don't work.

CornHolio posted:

- No cupholders in the backseat. I can understand only two in the front, but backseat passengers like to have cupholders. Instead there's large trays in the middle for phones or something.

Only one of the cupholders up front is actually functional, as well. The rear one is screened by the center armrest and is impossible to fit anything in. I use it for change and dirt storage.

TheThirdMan those little pop out holders are the most annoying thing on earth and they break if you look at em wrong.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

raej posted:

How do I tell if my fiance's 2006 325i is an E46 or an E90?

She needs spark plugs, coil, and wires replaced. Is there a preferred brand or place to get these from for her car?

You look at it. The two look vastly different. The E90 is curvier and the E46 is more angular, is probably the best way to describe it.

For reference:
E46 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_E46_front_20080822.jpg
E90: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BMW_E90_front_20090301.jpg

I am pretty sure that all MY2006 3-series are E90s, and I am also pretty sure that all MY2006 325s are the 3.0L N52B30.

edit for above: The MY2005 E90 325s had the same engine as the E46 but for MY2006 it was replaced with the N52B30.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

raej posted:

Definitely an E90. Thanks!

Now to find some ignition wires, plugs, and coilpack...

Would double-check in the manual to make sure it is in fact the N52B30, but I am almost positive about that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Anyone have experience swapping out the radio in a Mini ? I have an 03 Mini S with the H/K radio and I have heard it's a big pain in the rear end to remove that and get another system in. My thought was it would be cheaper to just replace the head unit with one that has a USB input than to get the mini iPod adapter since it's like 350 bucks, but I think I might also lose the steering wheel controls if I do that. Cheaper option is to just get the Auxilary unput kit since that's only like 40 bucks, but then I have to mess with the player to change songs and such.

Bonus pic:

It's a massive pain in the rear end and honestly getting the iPod adapter is probably the best choice even if it's expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Scientist posted:

Also, I had no idea that anyone, anywhere was still putting out cars with straight-6's. Maybe I'm just naive. I wonder if its canted over.

Volvo and LR are still truckin with the I6 as well.

I want to love the clownshoe, and I ought to love the clownshoe, but I just can't. Sorry :(

Also, the 1 series M is now available in MURICA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Scientist posted:

I wonder if I can arrange a test drive. How rich do I need to make myself look? It wouldn't be too outlandish, I guess. The streets run blue with BMW's in this town[Charleston, South Carolina]. The 328i here is as ubiquitous as the Camry and Accord in other cities, I swear.

you can probably walk in to any dealership in the united states and if you're dressed correctly they will let you drive a car

production on 1M doesn't have a firm cap but it will end Q1 2012 when they retool for the new, uglier 1, so probably less than 1000 but who knows really

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fermunky posted:

Reeves here in Tampa is pretty nice. I showed up to the parts area in my E46 and as I was walking out, some dealer stopped me and simply said "Hey, nice 330, would you be interested in test driving the new 335i?" and I was in cargo shorts and a Party Fowl t-shirt...

Reeves has great, great stores for all their brands and if you live in Florida you should give them your business. They are loving awesome.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alphamale968 posted:

Question. I lease a 2011 328i w/manual 13000 miles. Last night I'm on I-95 when the car throws an oil warning light. I use the computer to check the oil level, and the indicator tells me that the oil level is just on the minimum line, and to add 1 qt. I pull into the nearest walmart and check the owners manual to see what type of oil I need to add and there is a list of different viscosities. I call bmw roadside assistance and the only help they can give me is in the form of a tow truck. I said gently caress it and drove home without adding oil. THis morning I call Coggin BMW to ask their advice, but their service dept is closed. They tell me to look under the oil cap and there should be a note to advise to the correct viscosity. I check, and the only thing it says on the bottom of the cap is "BMW AUSTRIA" I had planned to drive the car around for labor day weekend, but now I'm not so sure. What advice would you goons recommend? Cause I aint gettin help from the BMW folks. I dont want to drive the car and risk engine damage. And I dont want to guess at the wrong synthetic motor oil and gently caress up the engine that way. And I dont want to be without a car until the end of labor day weekend.
I know it probably wont help, but here is a picture of the engine, cause I think it looks cool. There are no oil stains on my garage floor, or my parking space at work. So where's the motor oil going?

My 1 takes 5W30 Castrol Syntec but like... you get carefree maintenace so why are you dickin around with all this stuff? Don't have another service center within hollering distance?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bmw naming conventions started uninspired but at some point... what the gently caress is going on

The only good BMW names were the Bavaria and the M1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

does anyone have a good indy shop in SE michigan, preferably greater Ann Arbor area

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I bought an e39 M5 because I'm stupid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

You're going to be having a LOT more fun than the people buying Priuses in the Recommend me a Car thread. What color?

i am a big Prius Recommender

Imola Red

this killed my Fulvia budget but I can live with that for now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Big Taint posted:

Sup E39 M5 bud. You did a good thing. You buy the one from BaT in Georgia?

by way of mississippi, but yeah that's me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

8ender posted:

It's stupid, but also stupid great. That car does things that no car of it's size or weight should do through brute strength. If you need info on E39 faults PM me. First annoying thing is that your headlight adjusters are almost certainly hosed and you're looking at some headlight surgery.

PO just replaced headlights in the last year so hopefully that won't be an issue yet!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Well done. I considered an E39 M5 but I don't have the stones for an older BMW (or the time to fix anything myself anymore) so naturally I got an E90...

Thanks, I am mostly working from home and on the road so I am not reliant on the car starting every morning, and I think I'm financially secure enough to pay for major repairs every year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I don't pick it up til June due to work travel + getting married + going on honeymoon so the BaT ones will have to do

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'd check spark as well in short order.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ether Frenzy posted:

Get an M3. If that isn't possible, get the JCW Mini.

Specials are usually excluded from employee lease programs unless they're ex-pressers or something like that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Popete posted:

I'm a sucker for that Mineral Grey.

You are why we don't get colors anymore

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wood trim and brown/caramel leather is my preferred jam but the idiot who ordered my M5 specced walnut with black/imola red interior, it looked like rear end

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrChips posted:

You should wrap it then; most of those trim pieces come off easy enough (if they haven't already fallen off :v:)

PO replaced it with silver trim pieces

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress the airbag clips in the E39 steering wheel. I can get the drivers side one but not the passenger side one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

gently caress you! Dealer won't even tell me about their three cars on the lot unless I give 'em a grand?

bmw dealers are poo poo

you would also be just as well served with a 2018 rather than a Competition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

"That deposit is refundable, right?"

even if it's refundable you should not have to put down money to express interest in a mass production car