Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Bape Culture posted:

*Wangan Midnight Theme plays*

Holy poo poo that's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

holy hell :gizz:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Isn't this why people set up LLCs in Montana or South Carolina or wherever states that let you register without inspection at all? Also sales tax too I guess?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Keyser_Soze posted:

I keep asking Bimmerpost to add a poll by age of who actually likes that front end. Apparently the under-35 crowd of what I'd call non-BMW-enthusiasts WANTED SOMETHING MORE BOLD TO LET EVERYONE KNOW from miles away WHAT CAR IT IS LIKE AN AUDI! Please check me out on Instagram!

:getoffmylawn: :argh:

..also still say it's loving GONE in 3 years and it won't show up on the other cars. please

I am 30 and think it's atrocious? If you could swap on the regular g20 front end on it would improve it in every way

So I don't know what you got about young people because also the people actually buying/leasing them new are all olds.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

angryrobots posted:

Time is a roundel.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

aaand here's the thread title

:hmmyes:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

I always struggle with these situations. Sure it's rare, and sure, it's a manual, but you're paying a premium to drive (and maintain) a 20 year old base model German car. Will things break frequently? Probably, unless it becomes your "weekend car," at which point, ask yourself why your weekend car is a 20 year old base model wagon?

This is very much an internal reckoning I've been struggling with, which is why I was wanting something more like a VW R32, because it can at least flex into weekend car a lot better.

Also it's pro to have a motorcycle for backup when your 20 year old german is broken :v:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol an R32: for when a 20 year old BMW isn't reliable enough, you need a 20 year old volkswagen

Other competitors are like e46 or e90 M3s! I also own a 1983 motorcycle I originally bought with the intent to be my primary mode of transportation years ago. I am a glutton for punishment.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hadlock posted:

Are Audis not giant dumpster fire cars now

I had a VW once, all the interior poo poo broke on it, I can't imagine paying extra for the Audi trim version of the same poo poo car by the same poo poo penny pinchers

You almost never see VW/Audi in my area anymore

Idk what area you池e talking about but uhhh the Bay Area is absolutely still filled with VW/Audi.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That thing definitely owns, if the S54 swap is done it would be a similar vein to the S62 swapped e39 wagon that was on BaT the other day.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hello thread I have pretty much decided I知 selling my Mazda 3 (pending a very nice shift offer being finalized) and pretty set on wanting a manual e91 RWD, and then strongly leaning LCI no iDrive and maybe sport package if can be found but I know there are only a handful of those in existence. The plan would be for this to be the forever daily as a manual wagon just won稚 exist any newer (I guess unless I triple my budget and look for a CTS-V which I知 less into). I知 aware 10-15 year old cars being DD壇 leads to maintenance and I知 fine with that, but I also drive very little, pre covid I was putting under 5k/year on my mazda3 and I知 probably in some at least partial WFH from now on even when offices start opening.

How crazy and batshit is this? I知 also aware that a clean one with say sub 100k miles is going to be pushing $15 to even $20k+.

The other thing I知 wondering if there is an easy answer to, is how doable is it to turn the lower output N52 that came in the 328 into the higher output 330 variant? I think that would put it at a really perfect spot for me fun/power wise and all that. (Until it grenades and I go broke trying to s65 swap it).

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Crunchy Black posted:

The early e9x cars were a bad time for BMW interior quality wise, especially with longevity. Think early 2000s Nissan bad.

I cannot in good conscience tell you this is a good idea.

e: I went back and re-read, and you want a post LCI car. Good. That changes zero things about my statement in 2021, because finding a manual non-iDrive stick wagon will be impossible; let alone with your pricing and mileage "constraints."

Put it this way, I bought a [somewhat shoddily] manual swapped e46 touring even though it was done by a guy who now owns a vast empire of euro and exotic shops in the southeast in ~2011 for ~13k. Probably paid too much even then during the wagon craze. Surely if you're so inclined you can put that timeline together and figure out who I'm talking about. That car is now scrapped because of ~e46 things~~~. Do not buy a cheap BMW, especially an e9x, if you don't know what you're doing or have never had to deal with the fuckery and misery they will bring you.

I really just can't stress enough how insanely dumb this idea is.

Well let me give you some context last year I was thinking about going to a mk4 R32 as my only car and daily :dumb:

My constraints are more so manual and probably RWD and then following were more preferences in a bit of sliding scale, ultimately I suppose iDrive doesn't matter to me too much and also fwiw interior is less so, I see seats and steering wheel as correctable things if needed and I basically don't touch anything in the center stack. I am aware it's not a modern car but there isn't really a modern car that meets what I have put heavy emphasis on

Alarbus posted:

Tune, which is a few hundred to a grand, not sure who's in the game these days.

These parts:
11617559523 Intake Manifold
11617559530 Vent Hose
11617579114 Adjustor Unit
11617560538 Adjustor Unit 2
11617547242 Gasket set
11617535850 x2 Screw 50x35
11617535849 x5 Screw 50x20
11617535851 x1 Screw 50x66
13547522361 throttle body seal ring

New or used, but I bought used actuators on ebay for the second one cheap, and they were beat to hell, so I bought new ones, at $300 each. I think ECS has a whole kit you can buy with parts, tune, etc?

It makes a difference, and makes it a much better car, but yeah, the E90 interiors aren't the most durable things, that rubberized coating peels like a sunburn. Also assume a bunch of maintenance debt.

You *can* buy an AWD and use xDelete to flash it to RWD, but that's a few hundred more, though it does give you options.

Thanks for this, awesome to know and have in the back of my head as a potential thing to do.

I am prepared to inherit maintenance debt and like budgeting for that and basically planning on being a money pit.

As for xDelete, I feel weird about it in some way, like I don't want that diff there and even reading more about it than last time and it seeming simple and easy as well as extremely straightforward I still have some sort of irrational toward it, which basically is how I am looking at an e91 in the first place really. There are much better objectively 'correct' answers if I didn't have weird ideas in my head about a manual wagon.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Have you driven one? they're perfectly fine cars but frankly not very interesting and certainly not interesting enough to be worth the money and headache.

How mechanically inclined are you, and how electronically inclined are you? If this is going to be a hobby/project (and it will be, no matter whether you buy the nicest one you can find or not) you can maybe justify it on those grounds, but if you're going to take it to the shop every time it breaks you'll have a bad time.

I have driven an e90 and liked it pretty well, I also strangely find e9x relatively handsome outside the vert. What would you consider interesting enough to be worth the money and headache out of curiosity, manual would be a hard requirement and other things are sliding scale less requirement. I have also liked the idea of a manual e90 m3 as a daily idea for years now but I really want a wagon for ~*reasons*~ that are pretty irrational admittedly. Part of it is it maybe is *too* much to be practical in my mind (m3) like if I wanted a sports car for the weekends only I would want to get like a cayman/1m/m2 eventually or more realistically a miata, something small (lol m2) and 2 doors for sure. With that it seems something as aggressive as the m3 but with 4 doors is sort of out of place in my mind, and I don't care for the coupe as much.

As for mechanically inclined, somewhat limited in what I can do in my driveway and tiny garage, but I don't mind anything at the corners at all really and would feel comfortable probably most things that have the engine stay in. Electronically, well that's certainly a place I would be spending money to have a professional do things and am having it in mind that this will not be a cheap car to run.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like having a wagon as a daily and winter car but realistically the amount of time I use the capability that it offers over a sedan is extremely limited. Worth thinking about.

The decision I made was not combining the wagon/all-weather desires with the fun to drive desires. I own an E39 M5 so I'm intimately familiar with both the money and the headache, but I think the M5 is a hell of a lot more fun than an E91 could ever hope to be, so from a value perspective it works better in my mind. I don't think I would tolerate a similar up-front outlay, plus say 50% of the ongoing maintenance and repair costs and 50% of the headache, to drive a slow and rather dull wagon.

That is something to think hard about I suppose, I also really do personally love the look of wagons and hatchbacks and part of it to me is like making the statement of a wagon person. Also yelling at clouds about manufacturers not making what I individually personally special snowflake want, see manual trans.

I also very much love an e39 and if they didn't look more like double the initial outlay I would possibly go that route, I think it's the most handsome car BMW ever made and have always loved them. I have also thought about manual e46 m3's which are at least a bit closer in price and could probably be swung, but then I am swinging pretty far away from practicality of a daily and that falls more into the sports car category.

Not sure if it also impacts things but I am prepared to be without a car for a while searching and have a (reliable) motorcycle and probably plan on keeping that after I do find a new car. This can serve me for quite a lot of things and I spent about 3-4 years with only a motorcycle for transportation and made it work. Also I live in coastal California so winter practically speaking doesn't exist for me.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The delta between what I expect to pay for a wagon of my liking and the cost of a 2011 e90 m3 is really not that significant, it certainly is giving me pause, but throwing out the wagon specification really does widen the field significantly and I am not sure how I would really like to go.

But yes Somewhat Heroic I am absolutely captivated by that exact allure of an NA straight six manual rwd wagon, especially in that I think the sizing of that generation is just about perfect.

I do know there won't be an e91 available anytime soon so I do have time to think and consider it, by contrast e90 m3s seem to be available in abundance so if I do think more on it and change my mind there will be options.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

very little stuff that I have had to do on the M5 are M5 specific failure points, they're more the reality of owning a 20 year old car with somewhat dubious history and 115k miles. There's a lotta deferred maintenance and steering and suspension bits to catch up on... which will also be the case in short order on a 10 year old E91 with 100k miles.

Well for what it's worth suspension would be like the first thing I would replace in all likelihood.

Semi related question, is there a place to see all possible configuration options for a car, I guess mainly I would like to know what colors e91s were actaully offered/sold with

e:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I do think this is a pretty strong case of don't meet your on-paper heroes but if that's what you really want go for it! Just don't gently caress around with modding it that much and you'll be able to recoup your money.

lol see above, though my intent would be a forever car so I would be pretty sure to do suspension but save OEM, I would also heavily consider bumping the components and tune to the higher output N52 spec which I suppose is questionable in terms of holding value, but I don't see that as anything I would do immediately, more so in maybe a year of ownership and figuring if it is meeting my hero and worth it or not, then investing more into the platform to make it better for me.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 21, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

So part of the hopes got up for this slightly rougher cosmetically (which doesn't bother me as much as can be fixed eventually) pre LCI going for 'only' $12k and absolutely could buy that cash to your earlier point Kyoon. Which other than being older than I would like even the color is nice. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-bmw-328-39/

Residency Evil posted:

Spending money on a glorious V8 E90/E92 M3 seems like a wise decision. Spending nearly equivalent money on an appliance E9x wagon only to deal with tired suspension, interior, cooling system, etc seems bad.

Buy an E90 M3.

Maybe this is what will happen, time will tell. I mean really if I could swing it transplanting the s65 into the e91 would be the dream but lmao even though it has been done that's not in the price range at the moment heh

Maybe I'll just end up buying a cheap na/nb miata instead as was the purposed subtitle a little while ago.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

They've gone for even more!
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-48/

Or the combo one even which is...well it shows it can be done.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2009-bmw-328-5/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im far too stupid and stubborn to listen

im gonna remember this when i get my e91

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A challenger that's listed for an actually decent price approaches! Some compromises like pre LCI and xdrive, but sport package and the fact the asking is actually a remotely reasonable number is somewhat compelling! Also I like that color a lot. I think too early in my search to give in but that is certainly making me think about getting in a reasonable price, even if it needs some immediate things (windshield and whatever mechanical) that's a good bit cheaper than supposedly nicer condition ones are trading on BAT and the like.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-2007-bmw-series-wagon-unicorn/7314576247.html

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why would you not post that on BAT and get roughly 40% more easily, what's up with that?

I am not sure if dude just doesn't know or what, I haven't run the VIN yet, but ya I expect the BAT regular seller 1600veloce to swoop it and list it on BAT after like fixing the windshield and scratch on rear for $$$

Base on his wording it seems like he is just unaware of the bubble surrounding them, but could also be that it's been in a bad accident or some such.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

Uh, if you don't buy that let me know...

Please buy that so I don't do something stupid.

lol ran the carfax and posting was already deleted

carfax was clean though rip

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

how do you own that car, know it's "a unicorn" and gently caress up the pricing that bad

I think maybe they just looked at KBB and priced it at the top of that? But ya calling it unicorn is wild to me, also ya knowing you have a unicorn but not fixing windshield at min first to be able to get way more than you pay to fix it :shrug:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I regret not screenshotting the ad where I had the number open to try and call him and see what's up, but I imagine unless I was willing to wire him the cash right away that wasn't in my cards, someone local with cash probably showing up today....fknlo did you snake me? heh

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

got off on a technicality posted:

It's an instructor too! Here's the back

this loving owns

but yikes agree those e39 wheels need to go

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I dig it a lot. I assume you mean besides the air? Are the fenders flared a bit more than stock?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Okay I am extremely here for that aggressive static, that owns

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

Things we could never have on US roads

I know people that do it and basically you just treat the front splitter/lip as a wear item heh.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Y'all are gonna really hate whatever I end up doing to me E91 whenever I actually get it.

the future is now old men!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BMW VIP style is sick actually. It's cool to see different poo poo and it looks to be executed extremely well. Whether or not I would personally run that exact build is a different story, but I can certainly appreciate the aesthetic and quality of the build!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

this has got to be like a half rusted grenade right?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-BMW-3-Series-d1512#listing=302688911

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Alarbus posted:

Rustier than CA for sure, but I didn't have that many issues with cars up to 100k in Vermont. It should go for less because it's a 325, but a tune makes it the 328, and adding the 3 stage makes it a 330. I didn't have major issues with an 06 sedan. This doesn't have sport or premium, so boring steering wheel and manual seats. lovely pictures make it more of a gamble I suppose

I actually spoke to the guy who is going to give me more pics later today after work, I guess it was his son's car who passed away in december, said it had been garaged, was willing to take it to a shop for a PPI.

Which leads to the question anyone randomly happen to have a decent shop recommendation to get a remote PPI in the Danvers, MA area and/or just see if the local BMW dealer would do it?

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Take it to Bavarian Performance Group for sure.

kronix posted:

The BMW guy I work with used to swear by Boston Motor Werks in Belmont. There's a ton of German shops up North of Boston so you should be ok.

edit: Also hard good things about Bavarian Performance Group but most of it was third hand.

Thanks for these, calling them and seeing if guy will travel to either. I had a rec for Boston Motor Werks from somewhere else too.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hell loving ya, congrats on your future av!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Erulisse posted:

Eyeing price for that e91 (not brown) wagon up there. God drat you americans are blessed with prices on cars!

Or not...

That e91 is like 1/3 to 1/2 off market even for an auto. One was miscategorized as auto for a while on CG and the day it got fixed I was riding down to LA for a giants game otherwise I would have snagged a manual 2008 328xi for $8k, but that's quite literally half market value. As I have been watching out for them the past month or two now, nothing even remotely decent really goes for less than like $16k and nice ones are $20k-$25k.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

ThirstyBuck posted:

Brb just listing my car for sale.

Real talk if you have a good example of a manual LCI 328i E91 I知 looking and looking to spend market.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

AFAIK only the M5 had a wagon version anywhere in the world until the upcoming G81

E34 and E61 came in touring

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress me this is a lot rougher than I wanted but I feel like at this price I can get it about as nice as I'd like with all the cash saving. I wish it were smog'd though so I could drive it up to the Bay easier. Also I really wanted post facelift but man, still seems like a deal. Another option maybe is buy it and do smaller fixes and wait for the super unicorn since it should be able to hold value alright if I do some of the things it needs.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d/burbank-2007-bmw-328i-e91-wagon-speed/7332492770.html

emailed to at least get the VIN so I can run a car fax

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 6, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

cant make this poo poo up, I was about to reply to the CL guy with everything checking out and get him to smog it tomorrow so I can fly down in the next couple days to buy it when this popped up on BAT and I legit think it's what I have been waiting for

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-66/

gonna overpay for some E91 action

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

just get an e90 or e92 and pay a fraction of the price for basically the same car but lighter

I went back and read some of your posts from searching for the e92 when you mentioned talking about the avin unit and uh I find it interesting the polar opposites on E9x opinions. I think the E92 is really ugly, door too long and the rear is hosed. I think the E90 is handsome enough, but if I were to do that I'd just spend the same I am likely spending on the E91 for the M3 at that point. I don't mind the E90 but really I very much want a wagon.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Residency Evil posted:

Serious post: M3s should only be sold to people over the age of 30. People under 30 should be able to drive FWD hatchbacks ONLY.

My first two cars were a mkv GTI and then my most recent car a 3rd gen mazda3 (yes hatch). I turn 31 this year and now want to pay through the moon for an E91, not even an M. heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I thought that was just trying to jokingly reference the 1 series M?