Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How bad of a decision is an e46 or e90? I’ve always wanted one secretly despite being an audi man for the last decade. Like how many issues am I going to deal with post purchase compared to an Audi of the same vintage (B6/B7/C5)? Anything in particular to look out for besides subframe?

I was kind of looking at the E60 as well since it checks the manual transmission & AWD boxes for me, but man is that thing ugly

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

meatpimp posted:

E60/E61 is a great option... what could go wrong?
Well, I know about the control arm and fuel pump issues, and that doesn't bode well?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

So GODDAMNED ugly that's what's wrong
Like the ugliest bmw ever.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

Kotex saga of the exclusively worst German car decisions continues.

Uncheck that stupid x drive option and it'll be fine.

I quite like the E60 Optic and the only reason I didn't get one yet is because they are still very valued on the German market (which is a positive thing obviously for interest owners, but not so much if you aren't interested in resell value)

"But CT, I need AWD because there's snow in the winter"

Seriously, the rwd option will be fine with most conditions. Germany isn't known for its carribean climate in winter months either and the car did plenty fine here. Also the system is so horrendously expensive to buy and maintain as well as costly in drive performance due to its inefficiency and weight, that it's more sensible to get an RWD bmw and a cheap Subaru for the winter months. It'll also reduce to expensive cars salt exposition.
I don't live in Germany dude, I need AWD as this will be garaged near the Canadian border and I am not buying two cars, please confine your irritating and creepy obsession with my car opinions to the yospos tesla thread unless you have something genuinely helpful and constructive to add. Thanks.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

nah, the E63 is way worse. I always found the E3 similarly awkward to look at but maybe that's just me.
Definitely a close runner-up for me. But at least the silhouette of the E63 looks decent. The E60 just looks wrong, like that shelf-butt was somehow glued on, and then you have the nonsensical headlights. ugh.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 17, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

E46s are old now and you'll have to deal with old car poo poo, but the cars themselves are reliable. The M54 engines are legitimately bulletproof, and not in a "reliable for a used German car" kind of way either. Cooling system problems are honestly overblown (and very cheap/easy to address anyway) and subframes aren't an issue on the newer models.

The biggest issue you're going to have is finding a car as old as the E46 that's been well maintained, isn't beat to poo poo, and whose owner doesn't want an absurd amount of money for those first two points being true. My E46 was just totaled a few weeks ago and the only reason I'm looking at E92 or F30 335s right now is because everyone with a half decent 330 around here wants $6-7k for it and that is a laughably absurd price. On the upside, those same crazy prices made my insurance payout pretty loving good for my old rear end car.
Yeah I'm giving up on the E46 thing. I love them but too old, going to have too many issues, too difficult to find an unmolested one. I've started looking at E92 coupes which seem to have a bit better service reputation. I even found one that's had all the major stuff done to it already (valve cover gasket, water pump/thermostat, AWD actuator, drive shaft, spark plugs, serpentine belt...) Fingers crossed I guess.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 19, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It’s weird how the e92 is really sexy but the e90 sedan is super ugly. It almost seems deliberate.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beanieson posted:

jeep wrangler
I'm calling the police

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jesus it is hard to find an e92 xi in stick that hasn't been abused. Thought I found a good one at ~100k miles then ran a carfax, which is when I discovered the guy neglected to tell me it had hit a deer and a bunch of the panels got repainted.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

This is my current hell as I burn through money on cheap rental cars. I'm also enjoying the e92 335s I keep coming aross where owners/dealers are demanding solid $4k premiums for 6-speeds and oh also the car has been sitting on the lot for like half a year because their pricing is insane.
:whatup:

Doesn't the 335 have loads of engine issues the 328 doesn't? That's why I've been looking at 328s instead.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Sure, but it doesn't necessarily have "loads" more issues. The N52 isn't exactly simple, or without it's own foibles. I mean I liked it a lot, but the lifter clatter is... interesting.
Right, and at least I'm looking for N52's, as opposed to the N51 SULEV with its associated problems. I wouldn't mind the extra power of the 335, but yeah, coming from an Audi with two turbos, NA seems like a slightly safer choice.

e: why does this have to be an automatic :gonk: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/boston-2008-bmw-335xi-18-miles/6772129691.html

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

pre-LCI e90/91
:hai:
:wrong:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

This post means that you're looking for cars roughly in the same market as me.

stay away from my lovely used bmws, kotex! :arghfist:
Man I literally just missed out on the perfect 328xi, was that you, you bastard, give me my car

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone know about the issues with potholes reported on the e9x? Is it just the RFTs, or a deeper design flaw? (I have no interest in driving on the RFTs, gently caress that poo poo.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

People talk about an “exploding” sound on the e9x over potholes, which, yeah, I imagined was the suspension bottoming out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well good luck. I started looking at dealers in the South, because I love long drives and excruciating pain. They’re also all priced way out of proportion. No, your 109k mile BMW that hasn’t had any of the important work (HPFP...) done isn’t worth eleven thousand dollars, even - especially - in F150 land.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ok boys, quick take requested. I found an e92 335xi with huge sigh the N54, around 100k miles. Looking at the carfax...surprisingly the car doesn't appear to have had any major issues. Guy just had the water pump replaced, and the fuel injectors were done early on (as they should), and that's it. It has some extended warranty thru September of next year, but idk if I trust that. I'll have 3k left over budgeted for repairs. Is this a terrible decision and should I just wait for an N52 328xi to pop up instead so I don't have to deal with the N54 problems?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I think I just posted about this on the last page, but you seriously shouldn't let the old nav system stop you. Just replace it with one of these and call it a day. The older version of this is what I had in the e90 that I owned for like a year and it was absolutely perfect. I would have bought their E46 unit for my ZHP if I hadn't decided to stop putting any money into it before it got wrecked.

I really can't recommend them enough, though. It'll take you less than an hour to install, it's completely undetectable as an aftermarket unit in terms of appearance, the UI will look stock to anyone who isn't familiar with these cars, and it's frankly better than even the NBT iDrive systems. It also works seamlessly with all of the car controls including the iDrive knob and you don't lose any existing functionality.

edit- make sure you get the GPS and aux splitters
Wow thanks for the heads up on this, whenever I finally find my E92 I am definitely buying one

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Waffle House posted:

Posting from outside my bmw. The lock tumbler has failed, please send coat hangers
Automotive Insanity > BMW Thread: Please send coat hangers

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BMW advises drivers to carry the window breaker tool on their person at all times.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

For some reason BMW enthusiasts like to call white, black, silver, and grey "boring colors" then they go buy cars in Metallic Piss Yellow and Broccoli poo poo Green. White looks amazing on a well designed car like a BMW and don't let people tell you otherwise. Congrats on the purchase.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Uthor posted:

This is the photo from the sales page.

this looks really good. I actually much prefer this tone to the baseball-glove darker kinda tan in the e9x series. Nice pick.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Still haven’t found my e92 but yeah, I started looking at n52’s only because of all the insane n54 issues and the need to regularly walnut blast it, etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Supposedly every 30k. Remember kids, the faster car is the one that isn't in the shop fuckin constantly.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

beanieson posted:

C4 Corvette digital dash is sweet too
sacrilege for this thread but the very newest audi digital dashes are extremely cool and good imo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it’s missing a pedal

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

It's absolutely criminal how many e9x m3s are fuckin black. Horrible.
E92 looks best in jet black. Fight me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am still working on a megapost for an E9X buyers guide. Is there interest in having one?
Yes please.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

crutt posted:

Here's a picture of the interior. I'm excited about this.
this, is extremely good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

How dumb is it to buy a blacked out and likely abused 328 for cheep? On the bright side (?) it only has ~80k and recently had VANOS, coils, ground strap, steering shaft & recalls done.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

E92 LCI. I think I can get them to 10k

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

extremely meh
Yeah thats kind of where I'm at. Based on the plasti-dipped wheels, window & taillight tint, and "thin red line" sticker, I just know this thing has been driven to death over the last owner's two years with it. But I am so fuckin sick of browsing Craigslist, Autotrader, etc looking for an e92 in stick that hasn't been abused that I'm so close to doing it anyway.

I assume a PPI isn’t going to tell me enough to make up for that. I know the water pump is gonna fail in the next 20k. On the bright side seems like the PO did fit non runflat tires to it

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 21, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

I never did the window tint because Vermont was cold, but I did plasti dip my wheels black because salt and dirt made the finish a bit meh. Eventually when the wheels went egg shaped I just bought Apex ones in black.

Tail light tint is just dumb, based on how often I almost get rear ended with normal lights.

Maybe look at it and see how the clutch feels?
It's about 3 hours away from me lol. But...if one of you guys is near Albany and wants to make a quick buck (like a hundred of em,) PM me.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Is $10k even a good price? Granted I haven’t been looking at e92s much and that mileage seems okay, but I’ve seen reasonably okay looking F30 328s for under $13k so $10k for an e92 328 that’s been beat on seems pretty questionable to me. I would think you could actually get a fairly nice one for that much.
At that mileage, for an LCI xDrive, yeah. A couple weeks ago I saw a dealer offering a ~68k mile pre-LCI 328i xDrive for $12k. I told the dealer I wanted to pay $11,200 walk-away for it and ended up walking away. It sold the next day. I have regrets.

Sure the ones with ~100,000 miles sell for $7-8k, but 328xi/328i xDrives substantially below that are going for $8-13k, on the higher end for a stick and/or LCI (which is odd to me as the pre-LCI looks better IMO, and they kept using the pre-LCI design for the M3 coupe through 2014.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

do those come with a 6 speed or no

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Man I am normally against E90s (just looking at E92s) but as a wagon, and with that color and everything...drat.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

That thing has been there for a year at least. Turns out there aren't very many people willing to pay 40k for an 8 year old 3 series wagon.
Lmao it's 40k? Jesus. Nevermind.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BTW I am now referring to this color as "iMessage blue"

Paradoxish posted:

I've been ignoring it because other than the transmission it has nothing I want, but I'm getting desperate.
:smith::respek::smith:

I'm at the point where I'm looking at cheap 100k-130k mile e92s because I just need a fuckin car and can't keep waiting around for the perfect low mileage one (and then miss out on it again.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Kotex e92 update: thought I had found a perfect one. ~75k, two owners, one of which was a corporate fleet for just a few months – regular oil changes at the dealer, etc. Clean CARFAX...except for one little problem:

Dealer has zero information about this and won't pay for a third party inspection, but still wants me to pay full, non-accident-car price for the thing. Could have just knocked a couple bumpers off, or it could have been the whole front fascia is smashed in and all hosed up and repainted.

:sigh:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I know. I'm thinking about getting it inspected by TrueFrame because it is otherwise perfect, but that amounts to a $150 bet that the accident was minor and fixed correctly, which I'm not prepared to make.

gently caress the e92 market. I have been sitting on my rear end for four Goddamn months looking for one of these. I keep coming so, so close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Popete posted:

You should absolutely pay the fee for a PPI and frame inspection if you want that car. Not worth the risk to save a few bucks.
Yeah, no, I would never buy it without a PPI and frame inspection, in fact I was planning not to buy it at all. But then I was talking to my buddy who works in aviation, who pointed out that the accident was 8 years ago and that should change things. So, maybe I will start with the frame inspection.