Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
So I'm thinking about taking my 88 325is spec E30 racing. If I do, should I just leave the paint stock (black), or do a badass vinyl 80s DTM livery tribute?

I'm leaning towards this, since you know, black:

But also love these as well:

I'm still not sure if this would be considered cool or total poser weenie bullshit. I'll probably end up running the car a year or two without, but if costs aren't that prohibitive, poo poo, why not?

Also, I realize that none of the sweet M3 bodywork/aero is allowed on these cars, so the might degrade the effect somewhat of a DTM tribute E30.

MortLansky fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

blk posted:

I'm still kicking myself for not moving fast enough on BlackMK4's 318is, but this one popped up near me. I don't know much about E30s; what do you guys think? IIRC BlackMK4 had done a lot of work on his M42, this doesn't really have anything documented there and I'm wondering if there's a backlog of maintenance i'd have to tackle.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/4928072808.html

From the pictures at least, looks like a well loved car in the care of a non total idiot owner. Unless you're several hundred miles away, what's the harm in going to see it in person? If something's broken or not to your liking, make a counter offer accordingly. Hell, bring $4k in cash and he'll probably give it to you on the spot.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
Anyone running a Carplay MMI Prime retrofit that Bimmertech and some knockoff companies make? I bought a 2016 F80 incorrectly assuming it was Apple Carplay compatible (I guess Carplay started in MY2017 cars which were sold in 2016?), and thought there was some kind of software you could flash to the native hardware, not some dumb box that costs like 800 loving dollars. I'm willing to spend for the functionality if it works. I really didn't want to start "modding" the car until I've owned it for at least six months, but here we are.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014
So I've recently become enamored with E34s. I've had E30s, E28s, E36s, E46s, and feel like I need to fill in the gap with a grown up big boy BMW. I especially love the Touring, but since manual is a must it seems like that narrows the options to like 3 in the world at any given time. Coming from an M20 E30, which to me is "old car fast," it seems like the V8s in the E34 are the way to go, no? I don't think I could stomach an M20/M30 in a much larger car than an E30, maybe I'm wrong though. I loved my E28 M5 to death and obviously regret selling it, E39 M5's are getting into unobtainium territory, so if you want manual 4 door vintage BMW action, especially for like <$15k or so, what are your options? The alternative of course is just another E30, but I think I'd want to mix it up and maybe try to track down a nice Touring, or at least get a sedan instead of a coupe.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

fknlo posted:

Which is weird because bmw actually does pretty good with silvers and grays. My 330 is glacier silver and I actually like it and silverstone M cars always pop too.

I got a silverstone car last year and it's at least got a little blue in it. I'm glad I found it as a compromise instead of getting a darker grey or black car like every other BMW I've ever owned, because at least it doesn't look like absolute poo poo if it gets rained on once. Would've loved to get an actual BLUE car but every time I looked it seemed like there were 3 for sale in the entire country.

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

ADINSX posted:

Whats the ballpark for a fair price on a manual BMW 325 or 328 in the Seattle area from the late 90s? I'm swearing off new cars and looking for a semi-reliable daily driver and this seems like a good candidate if I can find a well maintained example. And speaking of which, what are the common issues I should look for and ask about in terms of maintenance?

I think the usual BMW stuff like cooling system parts made out of dissicated egg shells. Water pump, gasket leaks. Don't get a convertible. Avoid rust obviously. Are you looking at just E36s? IMO the E46 from 99-04 is overall superior, easier to find (at least in my area) and the pricing is similar. $5-7k for not super ugly medium mileage cars, $10k and up for lower mileage, very clean, dealer markup cars. Manuals are more expensive but worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MortLansky
Dec 17, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I drove my e39 today and it was good

You all should drive your e39s and if you don’t have an e39 you should get one and drive it or failing that you should drive someone else’s

I really really really wanted an E34 but it seems like there's 20 E39's for every E34. Doesn't help that I'm filtering by later model 540i models with a manual, which will sometimes show literally 0 results in continental US but perhaps a dozen in equivalent E39s. Which are also cheaper. M5's are more common, for chrissakes.