Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Hello BMW thread. It's me, a BMW owner, of sorts.

I have my mom's old 2002 525i touring. My dad gave it to me after she didn't want it any more and I dropped a few grand on rear air suspension work while borrowing it. It's developed a low speed shake. It seems to go away as it warms up, and is pretty much gone at speed. I checked the guibo visually this evening, which looks old but not crumbling or terribly cracked. The control rods aren't obviously screwed, but do have 150k on them so who knows.

One thing I saw today on a thread was that a sticky caliper could drag intermittently and cause a shimmy; boot replacement was the fix. The way mine is behaving makes me want to investigate that option. One thing that also points me to brake issues is at freeway speeds it has a mild shake when braking if the tire pressures are anything other than spot on (this happened a lot because the right front had a very slow leak for a while until I replaced the tire). Anyway, I've rebuilt motorcycle calipers so I wouldn't be terrified of doing this job.

Anyway, thoughts on e39 shakes and brakes?

Also my dad passed last year and one of the infinite number of impossibly cool things he left that's impractical and now bugging my mom is a 1990 e34 535i 5 speed, with Dinan shocks/springs/chip (no badge or docs). It's not really in a condition that would make BaT happy, but does work. Basically I need to handle selling it or someone else (who doesn't know what they're doing) will. I don't want to but you can't keep everything and CA prop 19 will force sale of absolutely everything anyway, eventually.

Any thoughts on selling this kind-of-rough near-unicorn?

Also (off topic) there's a '94 E320 Wagon with 220k that needs selling urgently. (My dad was physically unable to sell a car, you might have guessed)

[edit]

Sorry for packing a lot into this post.

The 525i is currently lifted so I went out and spun the front wheels just now. Both spin freely. I should add- the wheel does not shake when the car does its low speed wobble.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

TheBacon posted:

Just give me the E34 h2h, hell the merc too :getin:

Also you absolutely can sell that on BAT as is, but if you want it gone do it no reserve. As long as you are responsive you should get decent money for it.

I have no answers for the shakes n bakes for the E39 good luck on that one. I assume suspension is all original still and so I’d start just refreshing it all, but that’s spensy.

I DIY'd a suspension refresh on my E24 half a lifetime ago so I know the territory. It was in much worse shape too. Gotta hand it to the E39, it's way more robust than the E24/E28. Mine was utterly crapped out at 107k whereas the E39 is at 150k and only now possibly showing some wear. The air suspension thing was from a broken air line that cause the bags to crack from being compressed for months, so it wasn't exactly wear related.

The merc has possible oil or transmission fluid in the coolant so caveat emptor. It's otherwise not bad.

[edit] Let me rephrase that. The E320 has a CEL. So that's all she wrote. $1000 from the state to retire it, is the next step.

[1 week later] sorry for killing the thread. But anyway the CEL is for clogged EGR. Still going to the crusher though.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 7, 2024

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

It's me, Mr urgently. Ready to take delivery in California.

Bay area? Because of reasons I'm probably going to have to actually smog the Benz now. Which will make it sellable. Redirecting Benz talk to https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368604 now.

E34 is going in for smog this week. No CEL AFAIK, fingers crossed.

525i still on lifts, will switch them this weekend and see how the rear checks out. I can only get to one (1) car thing per month so I hope this moves me forward.