Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Goddamn German engineers. I love the rest of my 97 318ti, but this loving bowden cable (part 11 on the diagram if anyone cares) has decided to break , after I just replaced the drat thing last fall. At least it made it through the winter before deciding to leave me without any heat, but there was frost on the window this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

OxMan posted:

Also, regarding the DIY crowd, how "friendly" are the E30s/E34/E36s to someone who is still learning, as far as car mechanics go, and what's a recommended toolset for someone who would get one?

My 318ti (E36) has been a pretty good car for me to get started on. There's a pretty good BMW internet community so you can find decent documentation for a lot of things online. Bentley makes a good manual, for E36s at least.

The biggest help I've had is my local BMW CCA chapter. The most active members don't drive brand new cars for the most part and those guys have taught me a lot and helped me out a ton when I've needed. My chapter even has a bunch of money invested in special BMW tools that are loaned out to members at no cost.

As for a toolset, I picked up a Craftsman "mechanics toolset" when I bought my car and it has been okay. I haven't used half of the stuff though since it is SAE. I think you might be better off buying your own ratchet, metric socket set and wrenches as well as a decent set of screwdrivers. Go name brand on these items as you'll use them the most. Find your local Harbor Freight for jackstands and a floor jack, as well as any odd tools you don't feel like paying top dollar for.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Crustashio posted:

On the subject of interiors, is there an e30 cupholder that won't break if I look at it wrong, but doesn't require modifying anything?

I've got one of these that works fairly well. Kinda spendy though. Don't know if I'd drop $30 on it. I got mine when a club member threw it into a deal when I bought his snow tires.

http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

edit - The guy who runs the above site even throws in a bonus comparison of competing products.
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/competitors.html

rhombus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 24, 2008

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

OxMan posted:

Any cheap bolt-ons to get that 138hp up?

I don't think so. You can pickup up a Downing Atlantic supercharge for a few grand, but that's about it. I haven't looked into it too seriously, but I've been reading 318ti.org and been on the Yahoo mailing list for a while and for more HP people either go with the SC or do an engine swap.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Chiasmus posted:

I'm looking for a car to take back and forth between college and to gig on weekends and during the summer (Percussionist and I would like maybe a hatchback to lug drums and poo poo back and forth).

Reason I'm posting in this BMW Megathread because I want to know if 318ti's are good cars. If I find with a good service history and a good owner, should I get it? My other options are Mazda3 (I know I know the curse) or a Versa, Astra, or some other non German poo poo car :(. Suggestions?

FAKE EDIT: If I end up not buying a hatchback I love E36's, and I pose the same questions.

If you can find one with a good history it should treat you well. I've had mine for about 2 years and 14k miles so far and it hasn't been in the shop for any mechanical work yet (fixed some minor issues myself, though). They're not fast, but they handle well, get great mileage and you can squeeze a decent amount of stuff into the hatch. I would think it would be a pretty good college car, but they are getting old now and you may need to put a bit of work into one.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any recommendations on where to get a new driveshaft?

Haven't dealt with them myself, but a guy in the local chapter says they did a great job for his M5.

http://www.driveshafts.com/pages/bmw.html

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Anyone here drive an E46 325xit? The wife and I just bought a used wagon, and it getting under 12.5mpg in city driving. I know the cold weather and short trips aren't great for fuel economy, but it seems like it should do better than that.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

8ender posted:

Sound like you an oxygen sensor or two in your future. I assume there isn't any check engine lights?

No CEL. It was getting close to 30 on a trip from Denver to Omaha. Wouldn't a bad O2 sensor make for poor highway mileage as well?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

CornHolio posted:

could be a bad MAF as well I think. At lower/idle speeds it thinks there is still a high inrush of air and so dumps more fuel than necessary into the chamber... at highway speeds it's the proper amount of fuel.

I would think this would trip a CEL though. Does the car smell like it's running rich?

It doesn't smell in the cabin. I'll try getting a whiff of exhaust tomorrow.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

leica posted:

I've been thinking about getting into a 318ti because I love the idea of a RWD hatch and I love the looks of them. Even though they are a bit rare when they do pop up they are pretty drat cheap, I may pick one up with some issues and make a project out of it.

My question is do the four cylinder motors have the same issues as the six in terms of the cooling systems and whatnot? Is there anything other than normal e36 issues with the Ti's? I'm assuming they are the same platform and there isn't much difference between them if any.

I don't think the cooling issues are quite as pronounced with the 4 cylinder motors, as it shouldn't get quite as hot in the engine compartment, but plastic still goes brittle and breaks eventually. If it is still on the original water pump, the impeller could break. The expansion tank can and hose necks can crack, and there are a couple of plastic coolant hose fittings on the engine block that can also break. This is for the M44 engine, not so sure about the M42. The ti was first sold in the US in 95, and that was the only year for the M42, so no profile gasket issues. Pretty bulletproof cars really, and a great model specific community that has tackled pretty much everything.

I'd recommend finding a sport model. Same engine, but they get an upgraded suspension and M badges on the door trim that no one will believe are factory.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Taco Box posted:

Aside for VCG, what are some common points for oil leaks on e46's ?

I don't know about common, but my 2002 325xi touring has some small leaks out of the VCG even though it was recently replaced, and from the oil pan gasket. The goddamn driveshaft runs through the oil pan so apparently it has to be dropped and a bunch of extra seals replaced at the same time.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Crustashio posted:

E36 door latch troubles...

One day about a year ago, I was about to head out to the local BMW CCA annual planning meeting when my driver side door latch decided not to work on my E36. I found out that the only way I could get the door to open was to pull on the outside and inside latches at the same time.

I had no idea what to do, so I took the door panel off, cleaned what I could and sprayed a bunch of poo poo down with a can of white lithium grease, which somehow that fixed it.

Working in the door is a pain in the rear end, but it is doable. I can't imagine dropping the transmission, but I was able to replace my window regulator last fall.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

There's something wrong with my 02 325xi touring. It gets under 15 MPG on all the short trips in town, but will hit 30 MPG on the highway. I think it might need a new MAF sensor, but those are expensive. Cleaning it doesn't seem to help.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

My 318ti is making a repetitive squealing noise when I let off the accelerator while in gear, like when I am approaching a stop sign. It doesn't happen if the clutch is in or if the car is in neutral. It seems to be coming from the back of the car. Any suggestions as to what I need to be looking for?

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

The Third Man posted:

Try refreshing your diff fluid and see if it goes away would probably be the first thing I'd do.

This has been on my todo list for a while, so maybe I should finally get it tackled. This is the really stinky poo poo, right? Can I get a decent replacement fluid locally? I was thinking Redline, but I'm not sure they sell that at Autozone or whatever. Does BMW sell bottles of diff fluid through the dealerships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

TrueChaos posted:

Well I'm close to giving up and taking the e46 in to a shop to see if they can figure out why it's running like poo poo. '03 325i, Codes P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303. Random missfire and Missfire Cylinders 1, 2, 3. I have:

- Replaced spark plugs
- Replaced coil packs
- Replaced fuel pump
- Replaced fuel filter

I can move the coil packs around and the issue stays with cylinders 1-3. I'm out of ideas - what should I look at next?

Did you put in the new plugs after changing the coil packs? When the coil packs on my E46 started going out they fouled the plugs real bad and real quick.