Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

miklm posted:

Parts:
I'll add Bimmerzone to the list. Prices are good and they offer free shipping on a lot of items. My last order was boxed using an individual-sized bag of Famous Amos cookies instead of packing peanuts. :)

I have a 1997 M3 Sedan that currently has just under 160,000 miles on it. I've owned for two years now and it's been a great car all around. I've brought all of the maintenance up to date, including suspension and cooling system. The only things bothering me right now are the ride (Bilstein sport struts up front and I which I had gone Koni adjustable or OEM Sachs instead) and my door cars, which are working their way loose.

Here are some pictures I took last week after my regularly scheduled Zaino application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

RandomG posted:

Heheh, I get to do it again, it's e92 m3, it's the coupe.

:)

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

maxallen posted:

Someone may be able to correct me on this, but I would think to stay away from the 1-series in the US for a while, since some of those cars that got wrecked on that freighter were 1-series. Anyone know if these are just going to be demo cars like the M3s, or are they going to be advertised? Last I heard they were going to be sold as new.
All damage will be disclosed when the cars are sold.

quote:

Mr. Plucinsky said BMW had contacted the customers affected. For models whose damage is less than 3 percent of its value, buyers can choose to accept a repaired car or a similar model, or have a new car built to order.

Repairable cars with more than 3 percent damage will be driven by company employees. They will eventually be resold as certified used cars, with full disclosure of their history.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/automobiles/03BIMMER.html?_r=3&ref=automobiles&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Admirable Gusto posted:

Has anyone heard anything lately about the rumored Z2?

(Totally made-up artist rendering from AutoBild attached.)
The latest totally made up news is that the Z4 will become the Z6 and smaller roadsters will be developed as Triumphs and sold through Mini dealers.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/230405/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPmGQAXgQEg

This is the first video I've seen of the new M-DCT transmission in practice. It seems to work as expected and I hope they start putting it in other cars soon. Which is not to say that I prefer it over a standard manual, but it's better than SMG or a conventional auto.

Here's a video explaining how it works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NapX9AUzfZU&feature=related

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

iroc_dis posted:

Awesome, but it didn't quite go according to plan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0IHJdlH-4

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Hate to say it, but yes to all.

Here's a simple question for you E36 folks... if you push the 'sunroof close' button in all the way, does it fully close automatically? Mine opens automatically but I have to hold the button to close it, and I want to know if I can replace the switch and fix it, or if its supposed to be like that.
It's a safety thing for the US market but you can get a Euro market switch that does auto close.

My OBD II sedan is yes to everything on that list except #1.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

My dad went to check the coolant level in his 1998 540i today and discovered that the level indicator float had broken. Are the plastic bits now floating around in the expansion tank a major problem? How can I get a replacement? I can't find it on RealOEM and I'm not sure if it's sold with the expansion tank.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

kmcormick9 posted:

I don't think it comes with auto climate control(a big deal)
My 97 Sedan does. I'm pretty sure it was standard.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

we are your friends posted:

my keychain that can be filed as a lethal weapon in certain states and wards off rapists.

Your ignition lock cylinders hate you.

Does anybody know how to get playlists to show up if I'm plugging in a USB drive? I made a test playlist (.m3u, which the owner's manual states is supported), put it in a folder called "Playlists" which is at the root of the drive. The folder shows up, but there is nothing in it. Also, what types of ID3 tags are supported? All my music is tagged but some of the info doesn't show up. This is for my 08 MINI Clubman but I assume any late model BMW would be the same.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

ynotony posted:

New z4 anybody?
It looks awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/6yvopo

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

CornHolio posted:

What do you guys think of the new Mini Cooper Coupe? They say it will be made.

There's a Speedster that is also going to be made. It's like the current Convertible, but without the backseats. They moved the top, created some more trunk space, and made it look less awkward than the Convertible.

These cars are a peace offering to all the angry Mini fans to offset the Countryman. The Coupe and Speedster make perfect sense because they can introduce two new models for very little investment since these are so heavily based on the regular Cooper. I like the concepts quite a bit, both in design and intent. But the production Toyota FT-86 will be out by the time these are available and I think that might be the better impractical, somewhat low cost car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

havelock posted:

Lots of people on bimmerfest with z4s like to replace the RFTs with non runflats and then just buy an M Mobility Kit that came standard with the e46 m3s...It's basically a little pump and some fix a flat. That way you get the better performance and lower cost of non RFTs with some peace of mind.
This is what I did with my MINI and I am very happy with the non-runflat tires. Plus, I have AAA just in case.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

The door cards on my 4 door E36 are starting to pop loose and rattle enough to drive me insane. From what I've read, it seems like there is just an assortment of clips and fasteners that I need to buy. Does anybody know how many I would need for each front and rear door? I think they are pieces 11 and 17 in the diagram below, and there are some plastic rivets too?

Also, my car is about to hit 170k miles and still has the original oxygen sensors. Is there any sort of gauge on when they should be replaced or is it a case of if it isn't broken, don't fix it? I gather they're not too difficult to replace, can anybody recommend a good replacement model? It's an M3 so I think I need four of them.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

I got a letter from MINI USA that they are extending the high pressure fuel pump warranty for the 1.6L Turbo engine to 10 years/120k miles. I've kind of been expecting they would do this at some point, even though there isn't as much noise about it as there is on the I6 TT engine.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Hey MINI folks, if you have a turbo Cooper S, your car is likely part of a water pump recall. In homage to the car's British heritage, there is a chance your water pump may catch on fire.

More info here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/01/15/mini-usa-announces-water-pump-recall-affecting-79000/

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Time to change the :airquote:lifetime:airquote: transmission fluid in my MINI Cooper S. It's a 6-speed manual transmission with the factory mechanical LSD. The label on the transmission says it's MTF94 fluid and has BMW part number 83-22-0-403-247. Does anybody have any recommendations on a brand of fluid? A lot of people are using Redline MTL but I can't find if it is equivalent to MTF94 or not. The MTL is a 70W90, while the Fuchs fluid that I found that does actually say MTF94 equivalent is actually a 75W90 (see here).

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

I have trouble getting into first and second gear (but mostly first) on my E36 M3 sometimes. It's like the lever is jammed and I can move it left, but not forwards or backwards into first or second. I don't have a very good understanding of transmissions, but I have a theory as to what is going on.

Most of the time when I have issues, it is when I am coming home from work. My parking space at work is on a slight downward incline, it the front of the car is lower. I park in first gear usually. The other day, I was parked on a much larger incline and noticed that my parking brake wasn't working very well.

Is it possible that the combination of parking on an incline and the weak hand brake is putting some kind of stress on the transmission that is making it difficult to shift into first? I parked a couple days last week with the transmission in reverse and everything felt fine.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Model Camper posted:

I'm going to pick up my first Mini tomorrow (a 2013 Hardtop Cooper S) and I'm stupidly excited. I know they're not 'proper' BMWs, but I fell in love with it at first drive over the summer. Any advice for the first time hybrid English/German-car owner?
Ditch the runflat tires to improve literally every aspect of your car's handling.

Also, most people think that the free maintenance program means they need to do absolutely nothing until 15k miles (I think they changed it to 10k now). The earlier models were very oil sensitive, leading to timing chain issues. The factory claims it is resolved, but check your oil level regularly. I'd also recommend changing it every 5k instead of the factory interval 10k.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

I got a new job and am now driving my E36 M3 more than 2 miles a day back and forth to the train station. Time to do some work on it. What I've done (or had done) in the last 3 months:

- Change the engine oil and filter. The old oil only had 4k miles, but over 34 months.
- Change transmission fluid
- Change diff fluid
- Change brake fluid. Kind of wish I had replaced the lines as well since they are most likely original.
- Change air filter
- Change cabin filter. Required a vacuum to clean out the housing. :barf:
- Change spark plugs. Then I found my last set of receipts that showed I did it 8k miles ago. Oops. To be fair it was 3 and a half years ago.
- Replace hood struts
- Resurface front brake rotors to fix vibration.
- Replace brake booster sensor to fix intermittent ABS and traction control issue (this took a while to figure out)
- Refinish all 4 wheels. One required straightening.
- Replace all 4 tires. I got Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs. They seem nice but need some more miles on them to assess.

So for the first time in years, my car needs nothing. Feels good. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Closed my sunroof when leaving work today. A few minutes later, this happened while I was driving and it totally didn't scare the crap out of me.

What should I do? I've used spray adhesives before, but they tend to seep through the cloth and make a splotchy mess. And I'm not sure how to get access to the back edge of the panel to pull the cloth over it. I suppose I could just take it to an upholstery shop? The main headliner is starting to sag around the sun visors too.