Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jonontherun posted:

Yah, I'm really hoping for a lightening trend as well. I was pretty disappointed that the 1 series isn't lighter than it is. I understand all the safety gear, but still. Also I hope this engine makes it into the rumored Z2, if both of the stories are true. Man 11,000 rpm - imagine the noise it would make :dance:

As cool as that initially sounds, think about this:

That blog is claiming that it's making (at best) 260hp with twin turbos at 11,000RPM.

Potential problems:

- twin turbos on a four cylinder? Why?
- 260hp over 11,000RPM? That works out to what, 140lb-ft of torque?
- maintenance schedule akin to a bike, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BagHutch posted:

There is a guy on 1addicts (1series forum) who posts as scott26 and posts on other BMW forums just as Scott or other combinations there of. But he seems to work for BMW by going on forums and dropping hints about BMW's future plans. He has a very good history of being correct and what he is saying now is right in line with the auto blog article accept he hasn't said anything about going to 11.

If you remove the 11,000rpm thing, that removes the last two problems - torque will jump upward, and the maintenance schedule becomes more managable.

I'm not saying they can't do it, just that it really wouldn't make sense. Bike engines work well in bikes for a reason and similarly, aren't generally put in cars for a reason.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Xenoid posted:

The thing that astounds me is that my 93 325i got 18mpg in town, 30mpg highway. My 97 540 gets 20mpg in town, 30mpg highway. Pretty sweet huh? Both manuals of course. That's just 'cruising' with a couple of hard pulls in there for good measure (because I can't help it, especially in the 540).

I suspect it says more about the 325 than the 540 ...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

So I think I'm going to buy a BMW. I just got a new job that involves a lot of driving, so I want something more comfortable. I've always loved E39 ('96-'03) 5 series ... any advice?

I'm leaning toward a later model ('00+) automatic 530i. Gas mileage isn't a big concern, so I could go with the 540i, but I feel like the inline six would be cheaper to maintain and more generally fit what I want (read: I don't think I really want a V8).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

How reliable are E46s?

I'm on the fence about what to do. I can either buy a new Civic (or similar car) or buy a few year old 3series. If I don't plan on doing anything beyond basic maintenance myself (oil/fluids, brakes), how much is it likely to cost in upkeep?

I really like the 330Ci and there's a big part of me that just wants to go for it. I cannot, however, buy a car that isn't going to be fairly reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kenshin posted:

As with others on the internet, I've been getting (for a while, I've just ignored them) a CEL light, with the OBDII readings being P1188 and P1189. I had one of the O2 sensors replaced about a year ago, and replaced the MAF (which needed to be done as the car was having trouble idling) about 9 months ago. I wouldn't care too much about this since the car runs flawlessly, except I'm due for an emissions test.

This is on a 1999 M3 with ~148k mi on it. From looking around, it's sounding like the most likely component is the CCV, which was also my mechanic's guess.

So, my question:

We're going to clear the codes with the car warm tomorrow morning so I can drive up to the emissions place and see if I can pass my test before the light comes back on.
Assuming this works (when we've reset the codes before it usually takes a few hours to a day for it to come back on), am I hurting the car by waiting another few months to replace the CCV?
Depending on where you are, this probably won't work. There's a flag they check in the ECU that tells them how long it's been since the codes were cleared, and it's considered a failure if it's not long enough (which is something like "a few hours to a day").