Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom
I've got what might be a stupid question. I'm doing an auto to manual conversion right now in my e30 (1986 325e). I was wondering if someone with a manual e30 could take some pictures of the brake fluid reservoir and how it feeds the primary clutch cylinder? Drop me a pm if you would prefer to email them rather than post them.

I'm saving up everything to post one big project thread later one, but I've already replaced all the brakes, the starter, the flywheel, and I'm getting ready to mount the clutch. I'm missing the bolts to attach the basket to the flywheel however, so this is stalling me right now.

Future plans include replacing the cooling system, painting the car, and putting on some lowering springs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

RMEuropean has it for $290.23 but I don't know if they ship to Canada. I can't say enough nice things about this place for OEM BMW parts. They have always been the cheapest, have great customer service, and I usually get free 2 or 3 day shipping depending on how much I spend. That last part won't be applicable to you, because the free shipping is only for the lower 48, but it should be pretty reasonable.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=247

I've used http://www.autohausaz.com/ before and they ship to Canada. I'm not sure if they have the parts you need but they had almost everything for my e30.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

3363 posted:

That sounds so obnoxious I love it. The next generation 1, 3, and Z seem like they're going to be really interesting cars. Hopefully more of that light-weight stuff shows up in this generation too.

Yah, I'm really hoping for a lightening trend as well. I was pretty disappointed that the 1 series isn't lighter than it is. I understand all the safety gear, but still. Also I hope this engine makes it into the rumored Z2, if both of the stories are true. Man 11,000 rpm - imagine the noise it would make :dance:

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

Have you gotten this yet? I can run downstairs and take a picture, let me know!

Not yet, if you could I will e-love you forever!

e:

Krakkles posted:

As cool as that initially sounds, think about this:

That blog is claiming that it's making (at best) 260hp with twin turbos at 11,000RPM.

Potential problems:

- twin turbos on a four cylinder? Why?
- 260hp over 11,000RPM? That works out to what, 140lb-ft of torque?
- maintenance schedule akin to a bike, probably

Those are good points - I mean I have no idea why you would run 2 turbos on a 4cyl, unless they're sized for quick spool and good boost, but on a 4 cylinder that revs to 11,000 I think that would be dumb. Who knows how reliable this article is, but if they can pull off something that gets great mileage with low weight and good power it would be awesome.

Jonontherun fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 10, 2008

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

click for bigger

Honestly, I'm not quite sure exactly where you want detail so I just took a bunch of pictures until my battery died. If you can point out on this one where you want a better pic, I'll see if I have it. If it involved getting underneath the car, it'll have to wait until Sunday...

edit:
here's another

Awesome! Thanks very much!!

I was hoping to also see the end where the line runs into the primary clutch cylinder. I can totally wait until the weekend. Is that just a rubber line that runs down from the reservoir? If I can avoid bending up some tubing that would be great.

As for the mods question, my e36 M3 is totally stock, but I do have a different set of wheels for autocross. Theyre Kosei K1s and this year will be shod in Bridgestone RE01Rs. The e30 is going to be mostly stock for now, with lowering springs and shocks as the first mod. Following that I was considering doing the whole megasquirt thing but that is down the road.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom
^^ I think it's stupid and pointless. I don't feel like BMW shouldn't be building crap like that unless it makes shoving that V8 into all their other cars cost effective.

two_beer_bishes posted:

As far as I can tell (it was pretty dark in my garage), it is a rubber hose that runs from the reservoir to the cylinder. I'll try to remember to look at it this weekend.

Awesome thanks! I really appreciate it. Also if anyone else has an advice for me as I go through this swap I would like to hear it.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was underneath my car today to try to figure out why my car dumps the contents of my power steering system every time I drive the loving car and I took some pictures of everything I was able to. PM me your email address and I'll send them to you tomorrow.

PM sent, you internet hero you! :clint:

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Wiglaf posted:

I'm up to something naughty here..

they last twin-turbo manifold busted itself in half, the welds were pretty lovely. And I didn't like that it blocked the spark plugs.. I'm doing this one up low-mount, and it will be a split-pulse style design. :D

Sweet!

Are you going to start a project thread for this? Also what is a split-pulse design?

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

TractionControl posted:

I have never ever been impressed by The Truth About Cars.

That article reads like dane cook stand-up. I've never heard of the Truth About Cars, but it seems to suck pretty bad.

That picture of the M1 looks a lot better than the orange one I saw on autoblog.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

SlapActionJackson posted:

They're the idiots that got royally flamed a few years ago for a mindbogglingly stupid editorial titled "Death to the Stick Shift" that argued slushboxes were "safer, more reliable and more pleasurable than their manual equivalents."

So it's just an ironic name then? Like a huge motherfucker named Tiny.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

klosterdev posted:

I hope this hasn't been posted yet

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/10/bmw-gina-light-visionary-model-revealed/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYiEkQYhWY

Apparently BMW is making a Transformer.

As much as I hate Bangle (he sounds like a corporate idiot in the video), that is absolutely amazing. I love BMW for doing projects like this. When I saw it blink and open the hood to see the engine I was all :aaa:

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom
I've run into a little snag with my e30 project. I'm doing a manual swap into a 1986 325e and was hoping one of you glorious goons could help me out.

Attached to the back of the clutch pedal there is a large spring with a rod that is supposed to sit on a perch on the firewall. This spring is to return the pedal to its unloaded position as well as do the pedal travel adjustment. It's my understanding that when this is properly setup the pedal will stop when it bottoms out this spring, but in my case, it pivots the spring past 90 degrees and sucks the pedal down to the floor of the car. This is clearly not right.

I'm not sure what year of car the pedals I have came out of, so I'm not sure if that is what the issue is, like if i have pedals from a year when they had a different firewall mount or something. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? If someone could take a picture of their pedals under the dash, where the clutch spring is I would love you forever.

I'm working on the car tomorrow night so I can take a picture or video of what happens then, but hopefully someone can shed some light on this before that so I can fix whatever the problem is.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

Yeah I don't have that...

I understand how everything is situated in there, but there's a clip that's so loaded with dirt that I just can't get it off. I've tried prying it with a bunch of stuff but it won't budge. Next spring when I replace my clutch, I'll get to it.

That's from my thread! I feel like a celebrity :D

As for getting the driveshaft out, I remember we had a bitch of a time and it was totally rusted. I think we cut some of the bolts at the diff and then dropped it out as one unit. I have a pic of the driveshaft I can post up tomorrow to show you how I bolted it all back up. I'll do that in the morning.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

How do I know if I need a new driveshaft or support bearing? Every once in a while I'll hear a clicking sound coming from (as far as I can tell while driving) under the middle of the car.

Also, how tough of a job is the CSB?

I had mine go on my old e36 318i. The symptoms were a strong rubber burning smell when i stopped the car and a loud noise that was like fast clunking and vibrating coming from under the car. Basically when it goes it will start to wobble out of true and shred itself.

As for how hard the job is. Not that hard once you get the driveshaft out. The driveshaft removal is a pain in the rear end though. Just unscrew the driveshaft, pull the old one off, and push the new one on.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

two_beer_bishes posted:

I don't know how to word this without sounding like an idiot, but how do you know what kind of fluid a MT is supposed to take if my car didn't come with an owner's manual? E30, trans is from an 87 ETA.

I actually have a similar question. According to the info I found on the net my car needed gear oil. I can't remember specifically off the top of my head, but I ended up getting that. The tranny is a getrag 5-speed, but I'm not sure of the year. I haven't filled it yet, so I'm curious too. It just seems so wrong to put AFT in a manual transmission.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I just used a BFH to pop em out. One solid pop and out they came.

I did that too, but I mangled the threads. I just ordered some new one and I'll be replacing them this week. Next time I'm either using a wooden hammer or hitting on the tie rod itself and not the end piece. Durr - the more you know.

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

Mad Dragon posted:

Your dad is lazy. Tell him to adjust the pressures.

Pretty much - it's the ideal gas law. As temperature goes down, pressure will drop, so if he is teetering on the edge of low pressure, a temp drop would reduce that pressure and put him over the threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonontherun
Nov 29, 2003

Brooooooooooooom

TractionControl posted:

Dunno if you guys saw my thread, but add one to the fleet..

I didnt see it - can you link me?